Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

So I've seen The Sweatbox and Waking Sleeping Beauty, are there any other good animation history documentaries? Particularly ones that aren't too self-congratulatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

I just finished the Hellraiser documentary, Leviathan. It's not very good. There is a laaaaarge amount of time dedicated towards patting Clive Barker on the back, and it takes about a full hour to actually get to the part where they start talking about the production of the film. As far as four hour long "making of" documentaries go, it's nowhere near as good as Never Sleep Again (coincidentally, Leviathan has a ton of weird Nightmare lambasting).

EDIT: Holy poo poo, Never Sleep Again is a whole half hour shorter and covers five more movies.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 31, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

djwetmouse posted:

In honor of Wes Craven I'm watching Never Sleep Again, Whoah boy the second movie! I only realized now it's the one movie I've never seen out of the series.

If you think the Freddy's Revenge segment is amazing, just wait until you get to Renny Harlin opening his big dumb Finnish mouth.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Rennie is the best part of that whole thing, next best is Ken Sagoes talking about how he had to be in the beginning of 4 because they forgot to write him out at the end of 3.

"I would tell my friends, 'if you're goin' to the movies to see me in part 4, go straight to the theatre. Don't grab no popcorn, don't get no drinks or nothin' because my rear end will be dead by the time you sit down."
-Ken Sagoes

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Raxivace posted:

So someone a few weeks or months ago here was asking about decent documentaries on animation history. PBS just aired a two part look at Walt Disney a few days ago as a part of their American Experience series, totaling at about four hours in length. I just watched the first part and I've found it to be a pretty even-handed look at the man, showing both his accomplishments and his follies as a person.

That was me! This sounds cool; I'd love something similar for a really controversial figure like Bluth or John K though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

It's because the science behind it isn't all that complicated and is way less interesting than the emotional responses it generates.