Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I'm 15 minutes into Nixon by Nixon: in his own words on Hbo Go and holy poo poo this is loving incredible. Its a documentary about the secret classified Nixon tapes from the white house and all the poo poo he talk. I had no idea he loving hated jews so much goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Going clear was a pretty crazy documentary.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

For anyone who followed most of the news about Scientology for the past few years, most of the history of Scientology stuff was nothing new. But holy poo poo, the personal stories are devastating. I had to wipe away a few tears.

I had seen and read some stuff like the Tom cruise video, the xenu poo poo. But holy gently caress I had never seen the conferences they would have especially that huge rear end one after they declared victory over the IRS. That is seriously some hosed up poo poo. Also never heard of the hole. It's so hosed up.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Viginti posted:

Eh, I was pretty disappointed with Going Clear. It was a bit of a mess structurally, a blatantly biased attack piece and overall a bit puerile. I'm not, nor have I ever considered, being a xenutoligist but I do find the hatred towards them to be problematic, every single accusation made in this film could and should also be made about Catholicism, Christianity, Islam, any of the 'accepted' religions really. I was hoping that Gibney would get beyond the shocking tabloid stories and shiny celebrity cameos to look more at the psychology under-riding these cults and religions, to use scientology as a single example of a larger phenomena but it never really tried to do that, or to tread new ground in general. Given all the hype I had hoped that they would take a less simplistic view than the usual 'This poo poo's weird!' but alas, that's what you get from Four-films-a-year Gibney.

On the other hand, the music was cool. Just enough of The Master in there, very alien and upsetting. Might try to find an OST.

Lmao I was waiting for this

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The thing about this documentary that some of are you saying doesn't go through new information: for a lot of normal people not in the know (and its a lot) this is all mind blowing to them. My dad called me up after I told him to watch it and he was in disbelief. A lot of people really don't know even the basics of Scientology or the poo poo they've done. They just know Tom Cruise and Travolta are a bit crazy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yeah I don't know the only footage I recognized was that Tom Cruise interview video. To me at least, maybe I'm just less informed but a lot of it was new and very crazy to me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

It'll be out in November 1st

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Has anyone watched LA 92? I saw a trailer for it and meant to keep an eye out for it.

Yeah I have and I recommend it heavily. I saw it on Hulu I think. It was very in depth too.

What are some good documentaries on Chernobyl or just the cold war in general?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ken burns Vietnam is good wtf?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I can confirm that a large majority of the people I knew in college took so much adderall. There was a point some people thought I had some and was selling to others cuz I also had ADD but never haven taken it once. You best believe that a large majority of the people studying or writing their papers during finals week were going hard on addys tho

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

King of Kong is now more real than ever imo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

dirty money is amazing (apart from the quebec maple syrup one) - especially the trump episode.

Agreed, its really good and also will probably make you very angry!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

1994 on Netflix is a pretty good documentary about what happened during the 1994 Mexican presidential elections.

Anyway Salinas totally did it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Michelle carter documentary on hbo is loving insane

Ugh Iím so conflicted

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I kicked his rear end before, and I would kick his rear end again - the soothing words of a man talking about his dead son.

The documentary did do a pretty good job of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Boston sports fans are the worst, though. Something the world has suspected for a long time.

I honestly could not believe the dad said that poo poo goddamn

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

How do you make a four episode series on the Challenger disaster and not talk about what actually happened to the crew? It was part of the failure in the Shuttle program.

Typical Netflix documentary style. Just donít really give you the actual full picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Itís about how a 4chan pol poster suddenly was able to actually wield power