Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

computer parts posted:

All of Ken Burns' stuff, most of it is on Netflix. I highly recommend The Civil War.

That's a good one, I also really like his documentary about the national parks called The National Parks: America's Best Idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah the most interesting part about that documentary is seeing all those war criminals talk freely about what they've done.

Growing up in the 90's I sort of vaguely recall the wars in Yugoslavia but I do remember the trials in The Hague so it was weird to see people like Karadzic, Mladic and Milosevic speak so freely.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Eh?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah but what's it about?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I can't detect if you're being sarcastic, but just in case — a man in Texas is convicted and put on death row for killing a cop during a traffic stop. At every step the convicted man protests his innocence.

Errol Morris (the documentarian), while working as a private investigator, begins interviewing those involved in the case, and piece by piece is convinced that the wrong man has been convicted. He begins developing a movie in parallel with his investigation, and the stunning result is The Thin Blue Line.

I wasn't so thanks for explaining.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yesterday I finished The Jinx and it's amazing. The existence of the train wreck that is All Good Things is completely justified solely by being the catalyst for establishing this series.

If you do intend to watch this documentary, don't Google Robert Durst, lest ye be spoiled the ending.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

Going Clear is doing brilliantly and I wonder if this is finally the beginning of the end for Scientology.

lol nah

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah I enjoyed watching it but agree with your criticism. The actual dig stuff was okay because if nothing else it sort of confirmed the myth.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Swearing? On forums dot something awful dot com?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Herv posted:

What Is Reality - BBC Documentary

It's a few years old, but if anyone wants to get beat up by quantum mechanics this one if for you. I hate this stuff because it messes up my reality, so I am looking to take a few hostages with me, hoping to feel better about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFD0h9hhe_Q

I couldn't watch more than a few mins of the white people doc...

Is it supposed to look like I'm experiencing hypoxia?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fatelvis posted:

Are there any good documentaries on the Unabomber that you guys know of? He seems like a dude there would be a few documentaries on, but I'm not really seeing much out there.

I saw a CNN one a couple of weeks ago, it was okay. I watched it with half an eye.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I suggest Gayniggers from outer space to fill your black hole itch.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Winter on Fire about the Euromaidan Revolution in Ukraine, is just absolutely thrilling. It's on Netflix.

It's good. One sided though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I watched Idiocracy, a true story about Trump's America.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pootybutt posted:

Looking for really good food documentaries. About preparation, history, anything.

Music docs are rad, too.

The mind of a chef is really good imo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm not sure he did it or not. I'm certainly not convinced that he did though, and I think he does deserve a new trial.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

What's everyone's take on Making of a Murderer? I just started it and know it's getting a lot of hype.

The core message is that if the man has a bone to pick with you, and you're poor and uneducated, you stand pretty much zero chance of doing something about it. It's a very good documentary.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Just watched Trophy Kids on Netflix. I don't think it tells you anything you don't know, so only watch it if you want to feel really bad for some kids.
I guess watch it as a guide of how not to live vicariously through your children.

I was about to watch that yesterday but I decided I didn't feel like yelling at the TV.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I watched Reel Injun and it was pretty interesting. A native's look at the way the movie industry depicts and has depicted native Americans, and a bit of exploration of native american cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Templars are a really interesting case study. Once you take up arms and ingratiate yourself into your society, what, exactly, is stopping you from turning popular support into a protection racket?

A higher morality.

Oh wait....