Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I watched the Queen of Versailles over the weekend and I was kind of surprised by how normal I felt their kids were despite both of them being vapid morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

xcore posted:

I know this was a rather large/mainstream film when it comes to docos but I watched Bully last night for the first time which is one if the most heartbreaking and rage inducing movies I have seen in a while.

I don't know why, but ever since becoming a father for the first time four months ago I have turned into a blubbering mess when it comes to sad things. I now cry watching Attenborough docos but this one hit me particularly hard.

I kept trying to be macho and distance myself with thoughts of "those crazy Americans with their love of guns and religion, hatred of gays and a lovely education system" but it still hit way too close to home.

I want to loving destroy that stupid administrator at Alex's school after watching this

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As somebody who worked in education I appreciate the movie for bringing to light how loving vicious kids and their parents can be; as a piece designed to raise awareness by inciting an emotional reaction in outsiders it absolutely succeeds.

However, I have major issues with the film's central thesis that the problem is that we aren't tough enough on bullies and that if we socially ostracize them and use peer pressure they'll be perfect little rational actors and stop picking on kids. Bullies amd their victims are both symptoms of how bad mental healthcare and counseling is for society in general and kids in specific; it's just a lot easier to hate the kid whose home issues and developmental disorders manifest in picking on other kids even though they're just as sick and worthy of compassion as the kids whose issues manifest in crippling depression amd suicide.

Also they painted the issue as one of lazy and uncaring teachers rather than institutionalized bullying by administrators (you know the part where they have a town meeting and no teachers came? It's because they can literally fire you for publicly criticizing your school or admimistrators) but considering that poo poo like Waiting For Superman was popular and teachers being lazy and greedy is a national talking point I've just learned to accept it

These are fair points but I think things went to a totally different level when that assistant principal was treating that kid with the speech impediment like he was a giant piece of poo poo because he wouldn't shake the hand of the kid who basically tortures him everyday. That particular administrator should be completely removed from children for the duration of her existence.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone else watched the Amanda Knox documentary on Netflix yet? It's very well done. Add Perugia, Italy to the list of places to never be arrested.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Honestly after watching The Jinx and Making a Murdered I kind of felt that it was poo poo. It was beautifully shot, but I think the interviewee subjects were too few (and the journalist guy was just there to be "hey look we're essentially tabloids" for an hour and a half). And I didn't feel like it delved deep into the evidence and its details even close enough at all.

It just felt too loose and not nearly tightly enough structured to be compelling. Both my wife and I were really let down.

I can see that. They definitely could have used additional subjects. I would've liked to hear from family members of Knox's. I just don't think there's a ton of depth to the case, to be honest. It seems pretty clear it was Guede and it seems pretty clear that the investigator wanted it to be Knox and Sollecito, even though it wasn't. Nobody really had a reason to have done anything they did, so it's really hard to expand upon.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Audrie and Daisy is a really good doc. The Sheriff in Daisy's county is right up there with the Manitowoc folks in terms of being a despicable piece of poo poo.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Best Frontline docs?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/

A really well done documentary about the NFL's concussion crisis

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

I AM ONE OF THE PEOPLE IN THIS VIDEO. No lie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBX5AeKoQqQ

Are you the Budnik lookin dude in the jean vest playing air guitar

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

Mommie Dead and Dearest. Holy crap what an amazing doc. On HBO? soon?

TLDR:
- Crazy mom makes her kid (ever since infancy) pretend to be sick with MS, Cancer, kid gets feeding tube surgery, lots of other surgeries.
- Kid has had enough, convinces her freaky BF to kill her mom
- Kid and BF goes to prison.

It's on HBOgo now

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah also really dug Icarus.

One question as there was a lot going on... obviously in Sochi they were able to control the whole system of testing which is how they were able to do the smuggling and switching of samples. How exactly would this work in Rio, for example, where they didn't have such a sophisticated system they could run.

At one point, Grigori notes how instead of coming off the drugs before competition, Putin wants to continue doping the athletes through the games. That's something that's really only possible because of this system and how it relates to the games being in Sochi.

So basically, what happens in Rio or elsewhere would be that they dope, RUSADA and Grigori's lab work together to hide the positive drug tests during the training leading up to the Olympics, then the athletes get off of the drugs in advance of Rio so that they won't be flagged while at the games.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Quick question, since the name rings a bell: Was "The Staircase" on Netflix any good? I feel like I recall hearing about it in here.

It's very good, but it's far too long IMO. I know the nature of it being like three separate seasons combined into one is why, but there's a lot of repetition and the stuff outside of the original run didn't need to be as long as it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Weaponized Autism posted:

New PBS documentary on AI, covers a lot of topics:

https://www.pbs.org/video/in-the-age-of-ai-zwfwzb/

Frontline has been absolutely killing it lately.

The entire 2019 season is on the PBS website/app but the one about Duterte is an absolute must watch. The ones about Flint, Paradise fire, MBS and Ratko Mladic are also really good.