Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Killing of America is one of those documentaries that came out in the early 80s with a lot of graphic footage of Bad Things Happening. They use the Zapruder film of JFK's assassination, actual footage of the famous "Shooting a dude through the head in Vietnam" picture, footage of all sorts of riots and things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH-knbqmXn0

What the Killing of America is about is that is forwards a thesis that America has become a super-violent nation, since the death of JFK up until the film was released in 1982. It covers riots, suicides, sniper attacks, massacres and weird violent crimes like when a guy took a banker hostage, wired up a shotgun so if it was removed from his grasp, the gun would go off, or if it was removed from being against his hostage's neck, it'd go off.

It was oddly fascinating, but I'm more interested in how the docu showed different crimes not just to shock and gross you out, but to show how America has been getting its crimes and violence more and more publicized. A couple different people who committed these crimes just wanted to be known. So, here's the thing.

Anyone have any other recommendations for documentaries to watch, that maybe show vignettes about crimes and dramatic incidents after '82? I doubt a sequel was made of this particular film, but something in the spirit of it(Bowling for Columbine is close, but not perfect) would be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Were Sicko and Capitalism: A Love Story worth a watch?

Edit: Are there better documentaries on those topics to watch? I read Too Big to Fail, and that was fascinating.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 30, 2013

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

magnificent7 posted:

Swear ta god, this is what I thought you were talking about.

Matthew Broderick should make more documentaries. :allears:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

cloudchamber posted:

Do they also repeat the absurd claims that abortion lowered crime rates that appeared in the book?

I had a coworker try really hard to argue that point with me when I said Freakonomics was a dumb book because not all problems can be solved with economics. That point was his major argument in favor of Freakonomics. He's also a racist, sexist, homeschooled shithead who dumped a girl he was dating because she made him think strange thoughts and was making him lose his relationship with Jesus.

Anyway. Has anyone seen I know that voice? I've heard it be brought up on a few podcasts, but only before it was released. I wasn't sure if it was as good as I hoped.

Edit: It has not been released yet. Jeez, that documentary was being talked about in 2011. He's sure taking his sweet time...

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 5, 2013