Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I'm not really sure this has been posted, but the director of an Inconvenient Truth is releasing a new documentary about Americas Education hoping this one of his will be more inspirational rather than controversial than his last.

Just watching the trailer for it got a lump in my throat regarding this issue since I'm one of the high school dropouts it mentions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKTfaro96dg

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Could anyone recommend some good pseudo-philosophical COSMOS-like Astronomy documentaries? I need a new thing to watch that makes me feel the warmth and :unsmith:ness for how beautiful the universe is.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Zeitgeist: Moving Forward

Was just released on the web a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9WVZddH9w

I just finished watching it, All I have to say is that it further reinstates my feelings for how much of a :smith:-like world we live in today. Honestly, this movie has me blown away, the way things work, in a world, where money and temporary consumerist novelties are more valuable than the human well-being.

I'd recommend everyone, ever, to watch this and think deep after viewing it.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That isn't a sequel to that horrible Zetigeist film that came out a few years ago, is it?

I haven't seen the first two films, but judging from the trailers and articles, this one is literally nothing like the previous films. This one seems to have a centered focus on media, culture, human rationality, the future, and technology.

e: Someone posted the website for it above, the trailer can be seen here if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGm5r-q2TLY

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 28, 2011

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

gimpfarfar posted:

The first two were nothing but alarmist conspiracy theories at best, and this one doesn't seem to be much different really. Sorry :(

There's actually a segment in the movie specifically directed towards people who point fingers at it with the assumption that it promotes some sort of agenda.

I assure you this movie, to it's main point, is only about human well-being. Yes, it talks about money and the economics system, but it does so in a way which shows that money and consumerism can do some extremely terrible things to society no matter what political party or system you live under. The second half of the movie is actually about humanity getting better, or the hypothetical sense of what humanity could do if it 'restarted' civilization on earth to have the greatest sense of equality and happiness for the people living on it.

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 28, 2011

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Hysterics posted:

I just finished watching Last Train Home and it was one of the most honest and depressing documentaries I've ever seen.

I agree with this, I just wish there was more (recent) documentaries about modern Chinese economic growth, besides The Largest Domino and Last Train Home.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

stray posted:

Speaking of awesome documentaries: Cosmos is getting a sequel, to be hosted by Neil de Grasse Tyson.

So mark your calendars, kids, because 2013 will be when Cosmos 2: The Wrath of Carl comes out.

Late reply, but this will be great. Brian Cox might have been a better 'modern Carl', but I guess Neil is just as inspiring. :unsmith:

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 23, 2011

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I just finished Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and am feeling this big urge to watch anything else related to the knowledge of the cosmos.

I've already seen Cosmos, and Brian Cox's segments of it. Could any of you recommend some other similar documentaries? I heard there's a Stephen Hawking one? Are there any others? I just don't want to look through 50+ pages of the thread, and I don't want to be reminded of all the :smith:-talk regarding Dear Zachary again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Could I be recommended any good documentaries about the social structure (or just anything) of Ants? I'm beginning to become fascinated by these little critters.