Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm suggesting this documentary for the plot twist that happens after the film itself. If you're planning to watch this, DO NOT look up the documentary's subjects on google or wikipedia until after watching this. Also, if you're watching this movie, keep watching it after the credits.

Can Mr. Smith Get to Washington Anymore? (also available on Netflix instant queue)

The premise: Another average documentary that follows a political candidate as he runs for office. At face value, you're supposed to eventually like this candidate who runs as a progressive liberal democrat for U.S. congress against an established candidate with more money and higher name recognition. You're supposed to sympathize for his young idealistic volunteers as the campaign goes through its ups and downs until primary election day.

The ending: He loses in a narrow margin. A year later, he runs for state office and wins.

The real plot twist after the documentary: (I really reccomend you not highlighting this until after watching) A criminal investigation implicated Jeff Smith for knowingly violating election laws during the very same campaign that was shown in this film. Jeff Smith later admitted lying to election authorities while cooperating with a supposedly independent organization that ran attack ads against his opponent. Jeff Smith is in jail now for being a crooked politician. So much for Mr. Smith.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I just watched 8: The Mormon Proposition on Netflix. It talks about the church's role (particularly in funneling money) in getting Prop 8 passed in California, and also covers the church's bigotry and hypocrisy in general on the issue of marriage. There's a good amount of interviews with activists, former Mormons, lobbyists, and politicians, as well as excerpts from internal memos of the church on its political strategy, which involved astroturfing, a media blitz, and coaching supporters how to ease into the subject of banning same-sex marriage in casual conversations.

I'll just tell you right now it's an infuriating and depressing documentary.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 22, 2011