System Message

The forum store is down for maintenance and should reopen in the afternoon/evening (Central time). Thanks again to all the beta testers!
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Modify
A really neat documentary about body modification, the people that have it done, and the artists that do the work. As someone that has a couple small mods, I really loved this film. It has some bits that are a little squicky if you're squeamish with blood or gore (like the entire bit about plastic surgery and suspension) but overall it wasn't terrible and was really interesting, despite all that.

On Netflix here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Romanshoes posted:

Surprised no one's mentioned Abandoned Children of Bulgaria, which is an incredibly depressing and rage-inducing look into a Bulgarian orphanage. These kids are malnourished, socially deprived to the point that they grow up not speaking, not given basic medical care even though proper medical care is available...and it's implied the only reason they aren't being physically and sexually abused is that there's a camera right there.

This entire documentary is a huge heartwrencher. But, thankfully they went back because there was such a huge public outcry. Here's the followup documentary:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/bulgaria-abandoned-children-revisited/

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

WouldDesk posted:

The Suicide Tourist

Five months after being diagnosed with ALS, Craig Ewert arrived in Switzerland for his scheduled suicide. A story about struggling
to live ... and deciding when to die.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/suicidetourist/

Slight possibility of being :nms: (99% of people will have no problem).

Thanks for sharing this one. I have to say, though - I disagree with you. There's no way anyone can be human and not be deeply affected by the struggles that Craig goes through in this documentary. It left me in tears.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I know that "Kill me if you Can" was posted a few pages back - but I was wondering if anyone could find the other shows from BBC4's "Psycho" series?

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/P/psycho/index.html

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

BeigeJacket posted:

Just found this great BBC series on the food industry, and the history of mass marketed and produced food, focusing on three of the most successful products in recent times.

Cereals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYkLByB7HQ4

Yogurt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXdk6mG_gbw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Water

Annoyingly enough, I could only find the first part of this one, but you get the general idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsP6cMRC5LM

Here are the last two parts to the water one. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ7hwrcohmg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHg0qhkS6Ng&feature=related

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

homercles posted:

This documentary is horrific. It leaves some unsettling questions which will most likely remain unanswered, like "is the slaughterhouse footage used atypical" and "is it still that bad". And then the dolphin slaughtering. Just wow.

Reminded me a little of the Nigerian meat market part of the Al Jazeera documentary series Working Man's Death - Lions

The scene from Earthlings that's vividly clear in my mind every loving time someone mentioned it is where the man throws the poor dog into the garbage truck right as it's compacting...

There's so much horror in this world caused by people, it wouldn't surprise me if the slaughterhouse footage was mostly for the norm considering the sheer amount of animals that are trafficked through them every single day. I can't begin to understand how there can be compassionate and/or humane killing of such a vast number of food animals and still be producing the amount of food it takes to feed all the people in this country.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Pilli posted:

This post is highly disturbing. Not you, our world. :shepicide:

Yeah, very sorry about getting a little deeper about that than anyone should really think about. :/ Just go hug a puppy and/or kitten, I promise you'll feel all better. Or just browse this thread for a while!

On topic: I just finished Deborah, 13 & Servant of God which was posted a a bit ago in this thread. I have to say I'm a bit perturbed on a whole different level by the pure conviction that kid had. Especially the bit where her brother took her to a house party and she's witnessing to some random girls and tells them how any lies will send them right to hell, and the one's like, "Oh so even if my mate asks me if she looks good in these jeans and I tell her yes even though she looks terrible? That little white lie will send me to hell?" And Deborah is all like, "ABSOLUTELY YOU WILL BURN IN HELL." :psypop:

I completely respect people's right to religion, but gosh. Just... gosh.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

I actually watched Marjoe because Netflix recommended it after I rented "The Last Exorcism." It's a little long but it's good.

Marjoe was a great documentary, only made better by the final ~4 minutes. :3:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

Last night I watched Surviving Progress on Netflix streaming.

If you've ever felt like we are a people who are smart and innovative enough to solve even the toughest of problems, go watch this movie. It'll break your spirit. You'll want to give away everything you own and dig a bomb shelter.

After seeing the movie, I decided to start getting rid of a lot of my extra poo poo. I gave away my Miata this morning. Go ahead, laugh. But I love that car.

This was... well, "Great" but admittedly very harrowing to watch. Thanks for sharing it, I don't think I would have given it a second thought otherwise.

For a recommendation, I'd like to offer up "Half the Sky" which is currently on Netflix. It's a two-part documentary about the issues women in third-world/developing societies face, mostly touching on rape of young girls in Africa and the Cambodian child sex-slave trade. Awful, but also very uplifting to see such beautiful young souls that have been through such awful things grow into amazing, strong people.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 25, 2012

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Just lately Netflix has put up a pretty interesting documentary on mass shootings, and the environments that foster people to "snap" and do such things. It's called "Murder by Proxy: How America Went Postal".

Netflix link:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Murder_By_Proxy_How_America_Went_Postal/70260120?trkid=7115812

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 31, 2012

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Just finished watching this, and despite the :nws: and sometimes very :nms: content, it was actually a very interesting film.

Graphic Sexual Horror (2009)

Graphic Sexual Horror is a 2009 independent film written and directed by Anna Lorentzon and Barbara Bell in their directorial debut. The film is a documentary about Insex, a bondage website. [wiki]

Graphic Sexual Horror takes a peek behind the terrifying facade behind the most notorious of bondage websites, exploring the dark mind of its artistic creator and asking hard questions about personal responsibility. Interviews reveal deep fascinations with bondage and sadomasochism that run parallel, and in fact become irreversibly entwined with the lure of money.

http://gorillavid.in/vid/38crpxci67xm

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Budget Bears posted:

The Imposter is an absolute rollercoaster ride of a documentary that is currently available on Netflix instant.

Without spoiling too much, in the 1990s a teenage boy goes missing from his neighborhood somewhere in Texas. Three years later his family gets a call that he's somehow turned up in Spain, ready to be picked up and returned home to the US. As for the rest, you just have to watch it. My jaw was on the floor the entire time. If you liked "Dear Zachary," this movie has a similar feel in that you totally don't expect what happens (but it's way less heart-wrenching.)

EDIT: The entire thing is also available on youtube if you don't mind Greek subtitles.

Kind of in the line of The Imposter and Kumare is The Woman Who Wasn't There, about a woman that claimed to have been a 9/11 attack survivor that was on one of the higher floors, carried to safety by the Man with the Red Bandana. Saying much more gives away the "plot twists", but it's a good watch for a rainy day, at the least.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Pilli posted:

Thanks for all the videos. I've watched this one first because I've heard of this man before. It's hard not to get goosebumps just looking at him. I was so focused on the science behind his condition that I fast forwarded through the "circus" scenes - plus they're uncomfortable to watch, so no loss. Did you find the end disappointing? Not in terms of the documentary itself but in terms of resolution of the story? I lost my erection big time and I'm not even a man. And they never game an explanation as to why. Tree man must have given one, but it was never shared. Not to say the documentary isn't worth watching, though, it is because there are things to learn. But man, wow, why? :smith:

I agree that the ending of the story with Dede was very abrupt - it honestly made me wonder if there wasn't some sort of coercion going on from the people he worked with after how they showed the "Circus" owner/organizer treated them. It was very clear that all the people that worked there felt completely demeaned and hated it, and the jobs they worked were just... gosh. I just don't even know. Completely exploiting what are basically disabled people. :/ I guess it does give them a way to earn income and be independent, but at the cost of their mental (and perhaps physical) well being is just awful.

Anyway, that aside, I did look the guy up and it seems he's now gotton (some) treatment but things haven't been going so well. In 2008 he had a lot of the masses on his hands surgically removed, but then a little later there were complecations with officials, as well as medically and now he needs a bone marrow transplant at the very least. :smith:

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4b7RMw0rfLabxilQZCP9K-Gl-kAKgQo4

From the description:
The incredible story of Vivian Maier, the mysterious nanny who died in 2009 leaving behind a secret hoard - thousands of stunning photographs. Never seen in her lifetime, they were found by chance in a Chicago storage locker and auctioned off cheaply.

This, as well as many, many other documentaries about photography were posted in a blog today on PetaPixel. I've seen many of them before and they're quite good - a great watch for anyone interested in photography, the history of, or any specific photographers covered by some of them.

http://petapixel.com/2013/07/01/the-big-fat-list-of-documentaries-about-photography/

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Netflix has added a lot of really good stuff in the past week.

God Loves Uganda - How conservative "missionaries" are causing the tone of local politics to shift to be hostile and violent toward anything that's not essentially a WASP type person. Really shocking, honestly.

The Institute - About an ARG that took place in mid-California, and the people involved.

The Source Family - Basically about a 70's style religious "cult", only with less Kool-Aid and murder and more free love and hippies. Really a great watch, with amazing footage and such because one of the members was a professional photo/videographer.

The World Before Her - Beauty pageants in India, how they've been twisted by Western beauty ideals, and about the militant traditionalists that oppose them.

Fracknation This one isn't Netflix, but it was funded via Kickstarter and you should really just watch it. Basically the author goes back to the things mentioned in "Gasland" and tries to get the true facts, and... well. Another one you really should just check out.
http://viooz.co/movies/24296-fracknation-2013.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

acephalousuniverse posted:

Made by global warming denialists, so... well.

Fair argument, however the contents of the film does pretty well to counter the "hard facts" of the first film. Frankly I have little oppinion, pro or con vs fracking, so... meh. It is what it is.

Another great (non-related) Netflix doc recently added is No Woman, No Cry, which follows several pregnant women from different continents and shows the hurdles women face to recieve basic care that we in the west often take for granted.

edit:
Another great one I just watched - The Boy With the Henna Tattoo - NSFW, and honestly not really mind safe either - about a couple that have a surrogate son and from the cradle groom him to be a sex slave that they sell online. There's nothing too graphic shown, thankfully, but just what's detailed is awful enough. :/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xufh8XysHJ4

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 29, 2014