Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

bronin posted:

Oh hell yes. I'd totally do most of those phelps daughters

How best to fight homophobes and racists?

I know, misogyny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

LawrenceOfHerLabia posted:

In a way I have more respect for the Phelps' than the so-called mainstream Christians who pick and chose the good bits from the bible and leave the rest. At least the Phelps' aren't being hypocritical or inconsistent when it comes to obeying the sky fairy.

Every word in this post is wrong.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

GonzoRonin posted:

Man, that is incredibly depressing. :smith:

It talks exclusively about the UK kennel clubs, but I wonder if it's gotten that bad in the U.S., not counting the puppy mills.

At best the American Kennel Club is on par with this, I'd feel safe betting we're more then a hair worse though.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

a 16 year old girl posted:

excellent response.

Thanks for saving me raised blood pressure. I can't stand art 'experts' and the like who lump 'modern art' into one big blob and use that to just smugly dismiss it.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Monaghan posted:

I don't know anything about art and yet I still found the works he put up by modern artists to be far more engaging then the paintings of a random natural setting and realistic depiction of a human form. Having realism be the only accepted art style would make art pretty drat boring.

I liked that he basically straight up went 'I only value things I personally find pretty, everything is my kid could make and is trash!'

I love realist art too, I think there is beauty in nature, but it really just makes me more sad then anything to hear someone, intending to educate people, write an entire art movement off (hell, multiple ones all lumped under the same blanket) as worthless. That's like a film 'expert' saying 'there is literally no good movie about science fiction, because I saw some B-movies that were sci-fi'.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Wastebasket posted:

I am fascinated by small religious groups like the Shakers, Quakers, Amish, etc. I was wondering if anyone knows of some interesting docus about small religious groups?

Here is Ken Burns' America: The Shakers, available for instant watch on Netflix: http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Ken-Burns-America-The-Shakers/60028215#height1525

I am 9/10ths sure that: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Amish_A_People_of_Preservation/70028005?trkid=496624#height1422

Is the documentary on the Amish I saw that I liked a lot. I may be wrong but I'm fairly sure it was good. For some reason a whole lot of people hate the Amish, so for some reason it seems one in four Amish documentary is like 'aaah these evil people living a different life then me'.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Lone Rogue posted:

I remember seeing the preview for this. During the trailer, it looked like it was fine as focusing on Michael Moore as a false documentarian and the way he tends to make movies instead of documentaries. But instead it went off the deep end into "searching for the American dream" and looked instead like some right wing propaganda film.

Is that what it turns out to be?

No, it does. It uses Penn and Teller as legit sources of 'real information' and basically after five minutes of 'his documentaries are pretty weak and very obviously goal based rather then objective (holy poo poo you mean the dude making Capitalism: A Love Story may not be 100% objective, thank you, right wing nobody, I almost had to read a title), it goes into a really pathetic just hit piece that isn't even based in much.

Like, it's one of those 'oh you do something I don't like, well how do YOU like it when I do it to YOU?! Yea that sure sucks huh?!' type things.

Make is a pretty lovely documentary himself, he's a generic crazy libertarian who's 'mom and pop media' business makes ads for right wing dudes and writes for Andrew Breitbart's assorted 'Big(whatever).com' sites. But it's ok for him, he loves America, and Michel More Hates America.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

WouldDesk posted:

Calm down, you seem upset at a film. I would like to know where Teller was in the film he wasn't in it . And when you say "it goes into a really pathetic just hit piece that isn't even based in much", makes me think you flat out did not see the film or you just can not understand what is being shown. For example Moores use of the injured soldiers video, Moore showed the video but did not let the man talk. This is repeated over and over as the subjects used in Moore's films show proof that they were exploited and flat lied about in order for Moore to cut and paste to his liking.

I enjoyed films by Michael Moore understanding some of the material is skewed, this simply shows how it was skewed. Pasting video from multiple speeches and editing in it to one speech, and denying you did it despite proof is literally insane. And that is what it points out in en entertaining way :shobon: No need to hate on either filmmaker.

Ok my bad, he just used the vocal fat libertarian of the pair, that makes it less absurd.

I'm not 'mad', I just think this dude is a total hack and the tactic of 'this guy does a documentary style I don't like, ergo I'm going to do the same to him' is like how five year olds think.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I can't tell if this post is parody or not.

No look, maybe if you tour the virtual oil rig you'd understand better...

Spoiler alert: the virtual oil rig is a utopia of cleanliness and efficiency!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Lone Rogue posted:

You seem to focus on Moore about this than the "I love America" part.

I'm personally someone who knows that the scene where a girl sells him bullets in Canada was complete bullshit. Didn't happen at all. He never walked out of a Wal-Mart with Canadian bullets.

It's nice that a documentary exposes Michael Moore as a hack documentarian (is that the right word?) because he deserves. I think "Capitalism: A Love Story" was probably his best, but I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers were a little wacky in them. He's the worst possible spokesman for a left winger fearing corporations and government.

Yet everything I've seen and heard about "Michael Moore Hates America" tends to fit more to what shotgunbadger was saying in that it borderlines and sometimes crosses libertarian stupidity. I'm gonna watch it sometime next week but I have a feeling even with my low opinion of Michael Moore, I'm going to enjoy it as much as Expelled.

I don't like Moore at all, so it's cute how he went all 'ooooh you're mad about this huh', but really it's just a terrible movie. He basically uses Moore's tricks to say 'gently caress you to Moore, but it's ok, he loves America! Go look for some of this dude's articles if you want to see him go into libertarian crazytown without wasting an hour and a half.