Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Unrepentant: Kevin Annett and Canada's Genocide

Can't find a good synopsis for this one. Starts as a fish-out-of-water thing. Young, naive preacher Kevin Annett moves to Port Alberni, B.C., and finds it odd that there are no Natives in the congregation, and no effort made to reach out to them. He takes the task upon himself, despite warning, and finds out about the wonderful things his fellow ministers did to the Natives, a few decades back, at the Port Alberni residential school. The United Church of Canada systematically destroys his life (homeless, can't get a job, wife leaves him, etc.) to keep him from speaking out against them. Lots of fun interviews with Natives about murder and torture in the schools, and the lasting effects of attendance at these schools. :canada::suicide:
(is there a 2011 edition of this thread, yet?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Coconut Revolution
This is the modern-day story of a native peoples remarkable victory over Western Colonial power. A Pacific island rose up in arms against giant mining corporation Rio Tinto Zinc (RTZ) – and won despite a military occupation and blockade. When RTZ decided to step up production at the Panguna Mine on the island of Bougainville, they got more than they bargained for. The islands people had enough of seeing their environment ruined and being treated as pawns by RTZ. RTZ refused to compensate them, so the people decided it was time to put an end to outside interference in the islands affairs. To do this they forcibly closed down the mine.
The Papua New Guinea Army (PNGDF) were mobilised in an attempt to put down the rebellion. The newly formed Bougainville Revolutionary Army (BRA) began the fight with bows & arrows and sticks & stones. Against a heavily armed adversary they still managed to retain control of most of their island. Realising they were beaten on the ground, the PNGDF imposed a gunboat blockade around Bougainville, in an attempt to strangle the BRA into submission. But the blockade seemed to have little or no effect. With no shipments getting in or out of the island, how did new electricity networks spring up in BRA held territory? How were BRA troops able to drive around the island without any source of petrol or diesel?

50 minutes of ecowarrior :jihad::wth:.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Giant Goats posted:

I know a lot of white Canadians who are of the mind that yes, colonialism sucked, but it happened x number of years ago, so get over it already. I think this doc really helps to explain why so many Native communities and families are broken, and why it's still going to take some time to heal.

I'm a white boy, and this was my attitude before watching this documentary and doing a little research. Here's a creepy CBC segment for your viewing pleasure.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
This might sound weird, but I'd actually like to see a documentary about daytime soap operas. With so many actors and so many episodes per yer and all that, it must be pretty gruelling for cast and crew.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Wikipedia posted:

Zoo is a 2007 documentary film based on the life and death of Kenneth Pinyan, an American man who died of peritonitis due to perforation of the colon after engaging in receptive anal sex with a horse. The film's public debut was at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2007, where it was one of 16 winners out of 856 candidates. Following Sundance, it was selected as one of the top five American films to be presented at the prestigious Directors Fortnight sidebar at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival.

"Zoo" on Documentary Heaven. I dunno about awesome, but it's one of the most hosed up docs I've ever heard of. :goatsecx::hf::horse:

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Communocracy posted:

Sorry, can you explain this?

Wikipedia posted:

Interviews were conducted with "The Interrotron", a device similar to a teleprompter: Errol and his subject each sit facing a camera. The image of each person's face is then projected onto a two-way mirror positioned in front of the lens of the other's camera. Instead of looking at a blank lens, then, both Morris and his subject are looking directly at a human face. Morris believes that the machine encourages monologue in the interview process, while also encouraging the interviewees to "express themselves to camera".

I knew I recognized Morris' name from somewhere. "The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara is a 2003 American documentary film about the life and times of former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara as well as illustrating his observations of the nature of modern warfare."

Here's the first 10 minutes of one of my favourites, Dark Days. It's about homeless people living in the subway tunnels under NYC.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

melon cat posted:

Can anyone recommend any documentaries that aren't so depressing?

How about a documentary that doesn't have any people...or words? Just lots of bugs and music! :D

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Forgot to say this when I first mentioned it, but I promise that Dark Days isn't as depressing as it sounds. It has some interesting characters, many light moments, and a happy ending. Err, if you can get past the rats and garbage and crack. Also, watched that there conjoined twins business. Amazing.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Football High was...well, as interesting as it could be for a dude who knows nothing about football. Does anyone know of a similar doc about hockey for us :canada: goons ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

S Danger K posted:

Microcosmos

Yes, sir. Posted it a few pages ago, when someone requested documentaries that aren't depressing and such. Anthropomorphic buggies for the win. :3:
e: Seems the title of the doc wasn't in my post. So, you wouldn't have known it was already posted.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 20, 2011