Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
This seems like the appropriate thread to ask in-why do we americans always get gypped out of David Attenborough narration? :( First it was Sigourney Weaver, now it's loving Oprah. Is it some kind of...contractual conflict, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

It's not a case of americans being familiar with a british accent, it's a case of american management being full of blithering idiots.

Must be. It's a bit annoying that it's nothing more than stupid executives though. Really, how many americans watch documentaries anyway? Aren't most of them busy with American idol and poo poo? I actually prefer british accents in my documentaries. It's more...soothing? Interesting? Hell if I know.

At the very least they could've gotten Mike Rowe. He would be an acceptable substitute. loving Oprah!

"When the male lion sees the hyena he immediately becomes alert and EVERYBODY GETS A FREE WASHER DRYER SET!"

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Tohokai posted:

What's amazing is that this is a very smart and wellspoken lady. Her children also seem to be nice kids, despite having grown with a Ted Bundy as a father.

EDIT: If you like sad endings that make you feel empty and that force you to lose faith in humanity, watch this. And then Dear Zachary. And then Occupation 101.
Enjoy your suicide. :smithicide:

I was surprised that she seemed so upbeat. Talk about tough as nails. That ending was like a kick in the gut though. I need to go find something happy to watch. I was going to watch The Bridge next but suddenly it doesn't seem like the greatest idea. :smith:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Tohokai posted:

Seconding this request. I heard of this documentary a couple of years ago, but I haven't been able to find it.
Anybody?

The only one I can find on YouTube isn't in English. :( All the other links I've come across are broken.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Tons and tons of excellent documentaries are available free to stream on CBC, I don't know if this works outside Canada though:

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows

We're sorry, the video you've selected cannot be streamed outside of Canada.

:( Drat.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

The Staircase About a bizarre murder trial, from the point of view of a man accused of killing his wife.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5188227902435442973&ei=ujOcS5mlAojyrgLM6q3xDA&q=the+staircase+14

Don't read anything about the case before watching it.

I ended up staying up all night watching this (didn't know it was so long before I was already too invested to quit watching). It really was riveting-however it seems the filmmaker wanted us to think that the guy was innocent and wrongly convicted, which is not what I took away from it at all. Dude gave me the creeps from the very beginning and I found myself pretty convinced that he was guilty, although (owing to the abilities of Lestrade perhaps) that didn't stop me from still being shocked when I heard the verdict read.

I would definitely recommend watching it, but make sure you have a few hours to burn and don't start watching it at 11:00 at night like I did.

Edit: Found Murder On a Sunday Morning:

http://www.youtube.com/user/granadaville#p/c/6E410B432E07830F/0/8z2jtha8Oqg (Link to Pt. 1, the rest are in the playlist)

spixxor fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 28, 2010

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Megalodon posted:

Just started watching this and it's pretty interesting so far.

The Most Hated Family In America

Journalist follows the family of the Westboro Baptist Church, best know for being those douchebags who picket funerals with anti-gay messages.

Jesus I'm like 5 minutes into this and already I don't think I've ever wanted to hurt someone so badly in my life. That smug loving smile. Uhg.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Madmarker posted:

No, I think its that combo of forbidden fruit and hate sex that makes her appealing.

Maybe if someone could gently caress her stupid enough to make her quit tittering at everything. "You're going to hell, teehee! My dad would be happy if I got hit by a car, teehee!"

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

WouldDesk posted:

The Suicide Tourist

Five months after being diagnosed with ALS, Craig Ewert arrived in Switzerland for his scheduled suicide. A story about struggling
to live ... and deciding when to die.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/suicidetourist/

Slight possibility of being :nms: (99% of people will have no problem).

Thanks for this. I'm still in tears, really affected me.

Will try try to think of a doc to post when I'm done sobbing like a small child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Does anyone have some recommendations for good behind-the-scenes type documentaries? Stuff like Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy or Empire of Dreams would be great.