Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irrelephant
Feb 13, 2009

Elijya posted:

Many of the dead on Everest died climbing the glacier, falling between the cracks. Their bodies get ground up by the glacial shifts, repeatedly smashed and pulverized, and then eventually spat out. So, unfortunately, not entombed pristinely forever on the mountain side.

Just, you know, fyi. Since you seemed interested in dead bodies on Everest.

There are plenty of photographs of bodies on Everest, most huddling in the same position as when they took their last breath. They even become morbid landmarks, such is their permenancy, like ol' Green Boots. They sit there forever frozen, dead bodies right there beside the loving hiking trail because it would require an entire expedition with the sole purpose of just retrieving the body to move it further than a few yards. I followed that Everest...est...est thread and watched tons of the documentaries, films, etc, none of which mentioned any pulverized corpses as far as I can remember :confused: the worst are the close ups of black frostbitten faces with an open mouth silently screaming forever :cry:

Contentwise, I just finished watching The Holy Crusades, which is presented by Terry Jones. Can anyone recommend something in a similar lighthearted tone, but more modern? Any subject is fine. Give me All The Knowledge in an easy to consume format
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXed3tvR_-g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irrelephant
Feb 13, 2009

Elijya posted:

Oh, I never said nobody never died on the mountain itself, just what fate awaited those who died on the glacier.

As for Terry Jones, he does great, lighthearted stuff all the time, although it's rarely modern history. If you have Netflix, up on streaming right now are Terry Jones: Ancient Inventions (three episodes on War, Sex, and City Life), The Hidden History of Rome, The Hidden History of Egypt, and The Story of 1, a PBS special about the number 1.

Many of these are up on Youtube as well https://www.google.com/search?tbm=v...iw=1024&bih=594

I've been meaning to check Terry's other ones out for a while, wish I could find the time, so thanks for the reminder! I didn't mean modern history, but more recent productions. Think, sarcastic David Attenborough made in the last ~5 years :D.
I kind of want to ask you what docos covered these gruesome glacial deaths...but am totally sure that I will regret it.