Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Louis Theroux can come across as being incredibly naive or extremely smug depending on how you go into his documentaries. His early ones are more focused on off-the-wall subjects (being brought shooting aliens with plastic guns with UFO-hunters, watching gay-for-pay being shot etc). There's one episode where he brings to New York a bunch of people he met and it's interesting to say the least. One guy was channeling some alien super being and everyone else couldn't stop smirking, while in the other room the Christian fundamentalist (who found a Phone-for-Jesus company) sang hymns to thwart Satan from the apartment.

If you're into nice Theroux, the American survivalist episode and the Dharma episode has him bonding with the people he meet. If you hate smug Theroux, you'll love the Pro Wrestling episode where he asked a coach if the whole thing's an act and gets forced to exercise so hard that he pukes off camera twice.

The newer Theroux are much more darker though, like the frankly shocking The City Addicted to Crystal Meth (It's Fresno). It's all on youtube and you can start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4IJzVW6qK4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Rocketfish posted:

I really think it's serendipitous that I stumbled across the existence of a documentary about Banksy and street art in general. Even more so that it's coming to my town in just a few weeks.

From the sounds of it, a French Shopkeeper got really into the street art scene and attempted to track down and film Banksy. Instead, Banksy somehow outfoxes him and turns the documentary into one about the shopkeeper, as well as street art in general.

Check out Exit Through the Gift Shop.

Is there anywhere to watch this online? It sounds absolutely amazing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

BlackIronHeart posted:

If you have any interest in art, at all, you should probably watch the documentary. If you think art is a high-brow waste of time and money meant for idiot millionaires, you should definitely watch the documentary.

This is definitely true. I watched the show expecting it to be all about banksy but was very surprised by the actual story, and how good it was.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

GutBomb posted:

Anyone here see "Dark Side of the Moon"? It was a CBC Passionate Eye "documentary" including interviews and archival footage that were edited in such a way to make it appear that all the major players (Kissinger, Rumsfeld, Aldrin, etc...) acknowledge that the moon landings were faked. It's really very well made and a good case study in how powerful editing really is.

(Just to clarify, it's not real, CBC and the documentary's producers fully accept that the moon landings actually happened)

It's on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Ge8KiaWTA&feature=related

It's pretty funny that conspiracy nuts often point to this documentary as if it were real evidence of a faked moon landing. They use excuses like "it's too good to be fake"

I also highly recommend Winnebago Man. Netflix has the DVD. It is very entertaining.

Both these are really great. I was surprised that Winnebago Man actually had some twists and turns in the story, and the man himself is a great character.

Speaking of debunking conspiracies, are there any documentaries out there which are about showing how magic tricks/hypnotism are done and so on? I just watched a few Derren Brown, and am really wanting to know how he did things like managing to persuade people to give up their possessions, or convince everyone to do a "seance" all through suggestions without any spiritual interventions.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Ropes4u posted:

"searcing for the wrong eyed jesus" I cheated an watched the even, but it is on netflix. More of a commentary but it's funny as hell

Could you give a summary to this, and also explain what "I cheated an watched the even" means.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

melon cat posted:

This is such a great thread, and several recommendations have kept me occupied for hours so far!

However.

Can anyone recommend any documentaries that aren't so depressing? I can only learn so much about Bulgarian orphanages/Canada's horrible treatment of Aboriginals/reasons why we're going to run out of fuel and fall into a world of chaos/stories of global financial ruin before I start feeling like slitting my wrists. A few more along the lines of An Idiot Abroad and Exit Through the Gift Shop, for example. Or a personal favourite of mine- Planet B-Boy.

Edit: All fantastic recommendations below. Thanks!

An Idiot Abroad is brilliant, and Gervais has announced that Karl Pilkington will be in a similar series called The Bucket List later this year :toot:

Channel 4 did a cheerful documentary called Meet the Natives, where they brought a tribe from the Vanuatu Islands to UK who believe that Prince Philip (the least eloquent person in the royal family after Charles) is the reincarnation of a divine being sacred to them (wiki).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

A while back, either in this thread or another, there was a recommendation for a particular documentary. I can't remember the title, but it entails one of the 90s dotcom millionaires who was fascinated with online voyeurism. One of the biggest things he did was to install some kind of art installation in the middle of (Times Square?) where "artists" were each given their own little public rooms to do whatever they want. It got shut down because (I think?) someone brought in firearms.

He later started an online webcam show they detailed every single aspect of his life, including the breakdown of his marriage and his spiral into depression when he realised he has completely mismanaged his money. This was all happening way before Big Brother became a thing.

Can anybody recall what the name of that documentary was? I keep thinking it's "We are all Connected" or "Everyone is Connected" but both are obviously wrong.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Allyn posted:

Pretty sure that's We Live in Public

That's the one! Thanks!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

What's the thread's view on The Look of Silence (done by the same people who did The Act of Killing)? There's a screening I'm meaning to go on Sunday https://www.facebook.com/events/445355628979601/ but I have conflicting plans on the day itself, and need to weigh my priorities.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Awesome, I'm gonna go attend - I didn't realise there was a Q&A because I am bad at reading. Hopefully it will be super insightful and can give you all a trip report!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It's a masterpiece. Seriously, go.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Dude, it's even followed by Q&A with Joshua Oppenheimer! Go and tell us how it is. Worst case you can say "Hey, I liked your old stuff..."

Thanks for the recommendation on The Look of Silence. Watched it today and I was blown away - it probably wasn't as shocking as the The Act of Killing, but even then there were so many parts of the film that was unsettling and horrifying. Every time you think something is horrendous, another scene later will amplify it and it just keeps going worse and worse.

I would really recommend going in blind other than "this is a sequel to Killing". I did that and I think that heightened my experience.

Spoiler talk:
So the plot of the whole film concerns Adi, whose brother Ramli was killed during the 1965 massacre, who meets and talks to the people responsible for his brother's death. A constant scene shown is Adi watching scenes edited out of Killing, including one where two of the killers describe candidly how they killed his brother, pointing out the river where they threw his body into, and how the fishes there could't be sold etc because people were scared to eat the fish that ate the men. All this while Adi's face is of zero drama or overreaction, just this resigned look of indescribable grief.

Whenever Adi meets one of the people involved, he starts off just asking normal questions and then it twists when he points out his brother was a victim. The variety in their reactions betray their feelings, and they keep going "it's politics, stop talking politics" and refuse to admit their guilt, while Adi just continues with confrontational questions. There's a terrible scene towards the end where he meets the family of a (now passed) member - he wrote and illustrated a book which depicted the death of Ramli - the true nature of Ramli's killing is revealed and the family completely breaks down.

There's also a touching subplot of Adi's old parents. His mother Rohani is a total badass ("Why do you go talk to these people? They'll poison you, so just tell them you're fasting. Bring a bat. Hit them at the back of the neck, like this.") and one of the final scenes involving her and a survivor is incredible. There's a final scene of his father going through late stage dementia which didn't seem to make sense, but the Q&A I've linked below explains it and gives it a whole new layer of meaning.

I've managed to record the Q&A session, but because I was using a phone the audio quality's kind of poo poo and I had to amplify it. I think the auto-ducking was also in effect so some of Oppenheimer's words may get muddled up. It's essential that you watch the film before listening to the Q&A.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0TDuG2rlIMA

One thing I was hoping someone asked was what subject matter he would address in future documentaries - it's clear that he and his crew will never be safe to return to Indonesia again, and because of how Killing was received by the Indonesian government the story he told through Killing and Silence was unique and could not be recreated again.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/jihad-selfie-the-story-of-how-indonesian-teenagers-are-recruited-to-islamic-state-20160721-gqb8gy.html cringing title aside ("Jihad Selfie"), it's unlikely this will be as amazing as The Act of Killing/The Sound of Silence but it would probably be crazy af

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Is that follow up online anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

That reminds me but is there any film or documentary done based on the Monster of Florence, which has the same antagonists of Amanda Knox