Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I don't usually cry when watching documentaries, but this is terrible. I honestly never knew the extent of the enforcement of the "one child policy", other than the fact that families would commonly abandon or kill baby girls. I never heard anything about forced abortions, or babies being euthanasized at birth, or dying rooms. It's just tragic.

I've always known I wanted to adopt a child if I can, and now I know where to get my baby from.

We should nuke china if that shat is still happening..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Kraustofski posted:

No, no we shouldn't. Nothing would justify that ever.

How does that solve anything?

I totally support the use of tactical nukes, but In the case I was just expressing my outrage.

(sent from my iPad, which might have been assembled by some douche who let their kid starve to death because it was a girl)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Medal of Honor Winner SSG Giunta

Click here to visit

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Retarded Pimp posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned yet.

Restrepo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrepo_(film)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DjqR6OucBc

Follows a platoon of the 503rd Infantry Regiment in the Korengal Valley, the name comes from an outpost named after a soldier from the platoon that was killed around the time the camp was made. During one engagement, one of the men performed like a serious BAMF and was later awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal_Giunta

Excellent flick, there is a book written about the same time period by one of the films producers/directors/whatever. War by Sebastian Junger

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

One Sick Puppy posted:

Not sure if anybody's seen it as I haven't followed this thread at all but I just watched Restrepo, directed by Sebastian Junger, about the deployment of the 2nd Platoon of Battle Company on a 15 month deployment in the Korangal Valley of northeast Afghanistan. It's not exactly a documentary as much as it is just a view of the day to day life of 2nd platoon and how they cope with their comrades' deaths, but it's a fantastic movie and I highly recommend it. It's on Netflix if you wanna give it a look.

The Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrepo_%28film%29

Watch the Lost Platoon also linked a few pages back, you will enjoy it if you like Restrepo

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

"searching for the wrong eyed jesus" I cheated and watched it on DVD, but it is on netflix. More of a commentary than a documentary but it's funny as hell, sorry for the poo poo post it's was late and I am not much of a writer.

Stolen from amazon..
Take a captivating and compelling road trip through the creative spirit of the American South, a world of churches, prisons, coalmines, truckstops, juke joints, swamps and mountains. Along the way you'll meet musicians including the Handsome Family, Johnny Dowd, 16 Horsepower, and David Johansen, old time banjo player Lee Sexton, and novelist Harry Crews. This film is a collage of stories and testimonies filled with sudden death, sin and redemption... and all the while, a strange Southern Jesus looms in the background.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 14, 2011

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

shinigami_ebola posted:

This documentary called The Bridge, focuses on the Golden Gate Bridge, which happens to be the most popular suicide destination in the world. Cameras are left during the entire year of 2004, getting shots of people in the last moment of life plummeting off the bridge before they hit the water. The documentary also interviews the families of the jumpers, witnesses of the suicides, and also interviews a man who managed to survive his jump off the bridge. It's a thoroughly depressing documentary, because the pain expressed by the people affected by those deaths seems so palpable.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-bridge/

The video on the website is a youtube playlist, and will run all 9 segments continuously.

Excellent flick I really enjoyed the movie, it wasn't as depressing as I thought it would be. The kid who survived is high if he thinks people are going to forget that he jumped off a bridge.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Sex Slaves
A PBS Frontline documentary about sexual slavery in Eastern Europe. Watch a rescued slave's face break down as her pimp gets only 5 years probation for ruining her life.

I got some questions if anybody knows the answer:
1)How much does it cost for a pimp to acquire a foreign sex slave?
2)How much money does a sex slave bring in every month?

Dont know about cost, but there was a recent conviction on the news that claimed 20k a month for a teenager.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

That's the fucker I'm talking about. He describes having anal sex with a kid and then says something like "he got what he wanted and I got what I wanted" and I was all AARGHH WHAT NO :gonk::smith::gonk: and that was when I stopped watching.

I understand that pedophiles, just as everyone else, can't really control their thoughts/desires and while they irk me I certainly don't blame them for being pedophiles, it's not their fault and it probably sucks. The problem is when they're like this rear end in a top hat, who openly talks about grooming young boys and testing their boundaries and then talks about loving them and how "they wanted it".

I made it about three minutes into this, when I mentioned the ten year old I was out's, probably scared for loving life now..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

This was really good. Quite moving. Surprised me that they pick up everyone and anyone. Just a shame it was so short.

Does anyone have any other good documentaries about military medics? It's always been something that I have found quite interesting.

Can't find It online but try

"fighting for life" http://www.fightingforlifethemovie.com

Fighting for Life is a powerful, sobering and emotional feature documentary portrait of American military medicine interweaving three stories:

Military doctors, nurses and medics, working with skill, compassion and dedication amidst the vortex of the Iraq War. Wounded soldiers and marines reacting with courage, dignity and determination to survive and to heal. Students at USU, the “West Point” of military medicine, on their journey toward becoming career military physicians.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

WouldDesk posted:

I will add more later, but if you want discussion Restrepo, Armadillo will do that. Armadillo is a little more intense as far as death, destruction, and brief nudity but drat is it well made.

I wish the English sub titles were complete on Armadillo it looks like a nicely done flick

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

h3r0n posted:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/armadillo/full.php

Armadillo (full) is up on PBS - not sure for how long.

Armadillo

In 2009, Janus Metz and cameraman Lars Skree accompanied a platoon of Danish soldiers to Armadillo, a combat operations base in southern Afghanistan. For six months, often while under fire, they captured the lives of the young soldiers fighting the Taliban in a hostile and confusing environment, where official rhetoric about helping civilians too often met the unforgiving reality of being a foreign occupier. Winner of the Critics' Week Grand Prix at Cannes, Armadillo is one of the most dramatic and candid accounts of combat to come out of Afghanistan.

Thank you for the link I enjoyed the show, the footage lacks compared to some of the American documentaries but it kept me glued to the mac for 1:24 minutes.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

TLG James posted:

Apparently having sex with donkeys is common in Colombia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiGcWzw9QjY

:nws: There is some actual donkey loving at about the 13 minute mark. The rest is just interviewing people about it.

Welcome to Columbia! That was a little uncomfortable but definitely not as bad as pedophiles, and to think your mom was worried about your playboy.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

El Goatherd posted:

I found the other two episodes of the 2002 BBC series 'The Hunt For Britain's Pedophiles'. Be warned that these episodes feature some heavily censored but still very upsetting images. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm hoping one of the parts is the episode I remember with a particularly obviously mentally-ill bloke who kept saying it was all the kids fault and how the existence of female circumcision makes it alright for him to sexually abuse children or something.

All of these are :nws: and :nms:. You have been warned.

Episode 1, Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rw_glK3CiA
Episode 1, Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LihdzmVECao
Episode 1, Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2wW4OD79D8

Episode 2, Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYr6Ud8mrfc
Episode 2, Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4XHrhfiWY:
Episode 2, Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Vn6mZzojI

Episode 3, Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZM_AXVtOIA
Episode 3, Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCsAW6q0L6w

The last part was the one linked earlier in the thread.

Edit : Only halfway through the first episode and already remember why this upset me so much the first time. Listening to that now older girl recounting the abuse she suffered at the hands of her father and his friends just fills me with so much revulsion and sadness.

Edit 2 : Having now watched it I'd add an extra warning that parts of the other two episodes are even worse, so you might want to skip this.

That is probably the most heart wrenching documentary I have ever watched. I cannot imagine having to catalog thousands of those photos and videos?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Mutato posted:

Someone suggest me the best documentaries about big scary animals. I think I've seen a lot of lion ones though.Not looking for something informative, just stylistically impressive.

Bear 71

Jeremy Mendes and Leanne Allison’s poignant interactive documentary about a bear in the Canadian Rockies illuminates the way humans engage with wildlife in the age of networks, satellites, and digital surveillance. Audiences from around the world can use their smartphones to become part of an interactive forest environment rich with bears, cougars, sheep, deer, and people as they follow an emotional story of a grizzly bear tagged and monitored by Banff National Park rangers

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Rycalawre posted:

Why the gently caress would you believe official government figures on anything at all? It is all totally manipulated to gently caress.

Anyone with an agenda is suspect..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

R.L. Stine posted:

Are you guys talking about the part where it's revealed that it was the gross old mom the whole time? I wasn't at all surprised by that.

Agree

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I consider myself a christian and this freaked me out but its a decent flick..

http://documentaryheaven.com/deborah-13-servant-of-god/

A documentary about 13-year-old Deborah Drapper, who, unlike other British teens has never heard of Britney Spears or Victoria Beckham. She has been brought up in a deeply Christian family and her parents have tried to make sure she and her ten brothers and sisters have grown up protected from the sins of the outside world.

Deborah is a bright, confident girl who has big ambitions for her life and the film spends a summer with her as she ventures out in the world to see what life outside her family could be and starts putting her beliefs forward to a wider audience.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Toriori posted:

And people call me a crazy hippy for being particular about the meat I eat :psyduck:

I'm not an animal rights geek by any means but I think animals should be treated with and die without suffering. YouTube has a ton of videos showing atrocities at hog farms. I worked on farm and ranches while growing up in Montana and never saw poo poo like this...

http://www.cok.net/camp/inv/iowapigs/

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

yeah, reminded me a bit of the Carrier docu, where that one kid comes home to finally figure out that his pregnant gf has pretty much moved on.

that poo poo is pretty common in the services. When I was deployed overseas I knew a few people who got dear John letters. The worst was the dudes who had their checks start bouncing and called home to find out the account was closed and the number was disconnected at home.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

An Cat Dubh posted:

Does anyone know of any docs that show addiction recovery from inside a rehab or similar facility? I'm looking for something like Thin except about drug/alcohol recovery rather than eating disorders.

Not what you ask for but Hairkutt is worth watching.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cannot recommend "Under fire: journalist in combat" enough. Great flick consisting mostly of interviews, it does touch on PTSD and its effects on the loves of those who suffer from it.

Below is an excerpt from a netflicks review.

This doc concerns photojournalists who quite openly discuss their mental anguish when coping with their experiences in war-torn regions (Bosnia, Angola, Israel, etc). It shows many war photos and clips, but mostly focuses on various journalists discussing their experiences of PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). They also attempt to explain what drew them into such high-risk and dangerous situations (from wanting to enlighten the public to seeking adrenaline highs). Many state that they, themselves, felt broken beforehand.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

Last night I watched Surviving Progress on Netflix streaming.

If you've ever felt like we are a people who are smart and innovative enough to solve even the toughest of problems, go watch this movie. It'll break your spirit. You'll want to give away everything you own and dig a bomb shelter.

After seeing the movie, I decided to start getting rid of a lot of my extra poo poo. I gave away my Miata this morning. Go ahead, laugh. But I love that car.

My wife and I have been downsizing for months. The problem is there are millions and millions who are not, just the opposite actually. I have friends living in 5-7,000 square foot homes wtf?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

This gem is currently playing on the documentary channel.

The Redemption of General Butt Naked

Joshua Milton Blahyi --aka General Butt Naked --was a ruthless and feared warlord during Liberia's 14-year civil war. Today, he has renounced his violent past and reinvented himself as a Christian evangelist on a journey of self-proclaimed transformation. Blahyi travels the nation of Liberia as a preacher, seeking out those he once victimized in search of an uncertain forgiveness. But in the end, are some crimes beyond the pale of forgiveness?
Dubbed "General Butt Naked" for fighting with nothing more than an AK-47 and a pair of leather shoes, Blahyi believed he possessed supernatural powers that made him impervious to bullets. The General and his army of child soldiers are said to have killed thousands during Liberia's horrific civil war.
Following a dramatic conversion to Christianity, the General abruptly laid down his weapons in 1996, leaving behind his soldiers, his country and a war that would rage for another seven years.
Today, Blahyi is on a quest for redemption: facing those he once terrorized, preaching where he once murdered, and trying to rebuild the shattered lives of those he commanded during the war. For five years, filmmakers Eric Strauss and Daniele Anastasion tracked his often troubling path up-close, finding both the genuine and disconcerting in Blahyi's efforts. The film forces us to question the very nature of what true, meaningful reconciliation looks like in a country where justice has not been available.
At every turn, THE REDEMPTION OF GENERAL BUTT NAKED asks viewers to confront hard questions about both the power and limits of forgiveness in a nation searching for healing and justice. Whatever you make of him -- liar or madman, charlatan or genuine repentant -- you will never meet another character as challenging as Joshua Milton Blahyi, General Butt Naked.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

The two aren't really comparable. Redemption is a great study of a very interesting person that leaves you to make your own decision as to his character. The only thing I can really compare it to is Barbet Schroeder's film portrait of Idi Amin.

Now I have to watch the Idi Amin flick..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Dancing boys of Afghanistan

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-dancing-boys-of-afghanistan/

The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan exposes the horrific practice called Bacha Bazi, in which young Afghan boys are sold to warlords and powerful businessmen to be trained as dancers who perform for male audiences in women’s clothing and are then used and traded for sex. The practice is sadly making a comeback in that country.

The upside of the Taliban was that this "practice" was outlawed. I can't wrap my head around how this became a thing when Persian women are so drat beautiful..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, for one, Afghans ain't Persian.

I should have known that having spent time in the area..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sorry for being a dick.

You weren't I meant that the Afghani people were not Persian.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

HBO is playing Gasland, which I am sure is slanted but gently caress..

GasLand : Plot
Sundance Film Festival
It is happening all across America-rural landowners wake up one day to find a lucrative offer from an energy company wanting to lease their property. Reason? The company hopes to tap into a reservoir dubbed the "Saudi Arabia of natural gas." Halliburton developed a way to get the gas out of the ground-a hydraulic drilling process called "fracking"-and suddenly America finds itself on the precipice of becoming an energy superpower.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Friendly Factory posted:

I'm gonna emphatically second the :nms: on that one. Very difficult to watch.

The end of that show broke my heart.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Escaping evil and decent series of documentaries about cults is playing on biography. I have enjoyed the two I have caught so far - Jones town and the FLDS

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

And on that note Bowling for Columbine got K-Mart to stop selling ammunition.

Nothing that douche bag does is a documentary.

This sums up MM douchabggery nicely.

http://whatculture.com/film/5-reasons-why-bowling-for-columbine-is-not-a-real-documentary.php

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 29, 2013

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Documentary
adjective
1 : being or consisting of documents : contained or certified in writing <documentary evidence>

2 : of, relating to, or employing documentation in literature or art; broadly : factual, objective <a documentary film of the war>

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

fenix down posted:

Copy and paste some more stuff, you'll be sure to win the internet.

Thanks, but will I get a trophy?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Just watched The Devil Came on Horseback

Copied from Wiki: A documentary film by Ricki Stern and Anne Sundberg illustrating the continuing Darfur Conflict in Sudan. Based on the book by former U.S. Marine Captain Brian Steidle and his experiences while working for the African Union, the film version had its premiere at film festivals in early and mid-2007. This documentary is a Break Thru Films production in association with Global Grassroots and 3 Generations.

The award-winning film premiered at Sundance 07, was screened at the Laemmle Music Hall on Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles in June 2007 and opened its nationwide release at the IFC New York in July 2007. The film won the Working Films Award at the 2007 Full Frame Documentary Festival. The film asks viewers to become educated about the on-going genocide in Darfur and laments the failure of the US and others to end this crisis.

I thought it was a disturbing, sad and well done documentary. I wouldn't watch it if your not okay with feeling hopeless about human suffering. I would like to know how Steidle feels today, maybe more about what he is doing today.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hitlers Children is a documentary about the families of Hitlers inner circle. It fascinates me that they feel guilty for things they did not do. But all the same a pretty good time killer

http://www.hitlerschildren.com/

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I just watched Happy People a flick about some bad rear end modern mountain men, my description not theirs, in Siberia. A light hearted and easy to watch documentary that will make your realize these are the only dudes surviving the apocalypse.

Happy People - Venerated documentarian Werner Herzog teams with director Dmitry Vasyukov for this observant look at life along the River Yenisei in northern Russia, where the industrious inhabitants of a rural village truly live off the land.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Sever Clear (netflixs) was a pretty good documentary about one persons tour in Iraq.

Severe Clear is based on the memoir by First Lieutenant Mike Scotti as well as video footage shot by him and other members of 1st Battalion, 4th Marines on the outset of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Directed by Kristian Fraga (“Anytown, USA”) and featuring a original score by Cliff Martinez (“Traffic”, “Narc”, “Solaris”) the film offers an unflinching look at the uncertainty, disorder and chaos of war from the remarkable perspective of one Marine. The film is released under the title “This is War” in the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Australia and Israel.

Severe Clear was awarded Special Mention for Cinematic Excellence at the 2009 International Rome Film Festival, the Jury Prize at the Salem Film Fest and the 2009 Barrymore Award. Severe Clear was also featured as part of the 2009 International Documentary Association’s DocuWeeks Showcase and was an official selection at the SXSW, Big Sky, Lone Star, Palm Beach, San Diego and St. Louis Film Festivals.

The film has been critically acclaimed by The New York Times, Variety, The Hollywood Reporter and IFC.com and recently featured on CNN, The Wall Street Journal, NPR, Newsweek, Men’s Journal, Interview Magazine, Filmmaker Magazine, indieWIRE, NBC and more.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Shooting Robert King

Shooting Robert King will take you on an incredible, visceral journey that spans 15 years, 3 tragically brutal wars and across one of the most singularly astonishing lifetimes of modern history. From childhood to adulthood this is the complete story of one man's passionate quest to fulfill his dream of winning the Pulitzer Prize. It is a quest that will cost him more than he could ever know and one that will take him to the very brink of death, time and time again. From war-torn Bosnia to Chechnya, Iraq and more you'll witness first hand the tragic true horror of the worlds worst modern conflicts, all through the lens of a man who knew no boundaries. Shooting Robert King is a film that must be seen to be believed.

Well worth 90 minutes of your life, incredible footage and an excellent story about a war photographer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Serving Life

Plot Summary
Actor Forest Whitaker narrates the story of a group of inmate volunteers who staff their own hospice inside a maximum security prison in Louisiana where the average sentence is more than 90 years.

Incredible and a bit sad if you believe people can change. There isn't much to add to the summary. I couldn't fix it but our prison system is sort of messed up.

Watching the two brothers interact when the youngest started dying was brutal. Its impossible for me to imagine

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 1, 2013