Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LandryForPresident posted:

Do any goons know of documentaries about Bob Denard, or more generally, mercenaries working in sub-saharan Africa?

Shadow Company has a fairly large section about the operations of a company called Executive Outcomes in southern Africa. I haven't seen it in years, but I believe there was 200 mercenaries who had 10,000 soldiers calling it quits in a few months. Great movie if you're looking to learn about PMC's.

http://documentaryheaven.com/shadow-company/

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Guy asks for nature documentaries, and you all point him to crime dramas. The Art of Flight is a cool one if you just want to see some crazy scenery. They go down to Patagonia and hit up some really beautiful places in South America, New Zealand, Alaska, Canada, etc.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know where I can find the version of A Bitter Taste of Freedom with english subtitles? If not, can you recommend a documentary on Anna Politkovskaya that isn't so drat hard to find? Seems to be a few.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Speaking of race documentaries, I watched this one on Emmett Till the other day and it was very good. Worth watching if you hadn't heard his story before. It all happened in 1955. He was a 14 year old black boy from Chicago who was visiting family in the South when he whistled at a white woman. That night, a group of white men showed up at his house and lynched him in an extremely gruesome way. It ended up being a very significant event in the history of the civil rights movement thanks to the dedication of his family, who refused to let his death be in vain.

https://youtu.be/bvijYSJtkQk

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

Has anybody watched Freeload, the train-hoppiong documentary? It sounds pretty cool but I dunno where to see it online

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2962860/

No, but in that vein, there's a vice series on YouTube called "thumbs up" that is amazing and worth the watch.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I gotta read up on it more. I gotta think Godejohn is just getting the whole deal.

Yeah his sentencing was pretty brutal iirc. Of course, he is a piece of poo poo.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Heads up to people who have been watching this on the PBS app. I tried watching episode 6 on there last night, and it wouldn't let me. It would only redirect me to a subscription page. Dug around a bit, and it would still let me watch episodes 1-5, but 6-10 are locked, and you've got to pay $60 to unlock them. So unless they are unlocked later, you can't watch the whole thing on there for free.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Herv posted:

Was that the $5 a month thing I barely read so I could keep watching?

Still worth it for me.

e: watching on laptop though...

I was on my phone, so maybe it's only a mobile thing? Idk, it wouldn't let me around it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mo_Steel posted:

"Knowing you're going to die... is liberating."

THE VIETNAM WAR
EPISODE 7: “The Veneer of Civilization” (June 1968-May 1969) - Watch it here
I don't understand how Richard Nixon could have done what he did in secretly telling South Vietnam to avoid peace talks so he could have better odds to win the election; intentionally prolonging the war behind the backs of his own country so he could improve his chances at being President for a few years. It's been a long time since I feel like I've lacked words to express how angry I am about a subject. All that rises up is gently caress you, Richard Nixon over and over again.

Came here to post this. That's one of the dirtiest political ploys I've ever heard of. I mean Jesus Christ.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ye think so? I think not

Yeah I double taked real hard when I saw that line.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dude. Duuude. Demonize. Really? Demonize. Seriously?

You're trolling, right?

Demonize is the wrong word, but it's clear a lot of people evidently just wanted the whole thing to be political preaching to the choir of the left rather than a nonpartisan account of what happened. You don't have to church up the story of Vietnam to drive home the cynicism and incompetence of the US leadership, and the nastiness in American society at the time, and the documentary did a great job of showing that. The complaining here is half about tone, and half kneejerk dismissing a mainstream documentary on the subject out of principle without actually judging it on its merit.

All I know is I talked a lot with conservative co-workers about the documentary as it was playing, and it's clear it had an impact on them. If it would've just been a leftist pundit account of Vietnam it would've politicized the whole thing and they would've dismissed it without even watching. That would've served nobody. If you want an account of Vietnam from the perspective of your ideology, go find one. Ken Burns thing was never intended to be it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I hate to break it you guys but war is a political event.

It went deep into the politics of the war. It just didn't do it through the political lens of today.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

"Gotta hear both sides" couldn't be more through the political lens of today.

Yeah that's not what it did at all.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DeimosRising posted:

A tragedy for whom? If you insist on pinning an overall narrative arc to it, the good guys won. It had a happy ending. Millions of people had to suffer and die because the western imperial powers decided it was better to burn Asia to the ground and depopulate it than let it go red, so yeah there were countless awful tragedies mixed up in it. But no I don't think the failure of the US mission in Vietnam was a tragedy. The fact there was a US mission in Vietnam is an atrocity, the fact that thousands of mostly poor and disinterested US citizens died is awful, but the US military empire losing and heading home tail between its legs is not a tragedy.

So your argument here is that Vietnam was actually cool and good just because in the end it made the US look bad, and that Burns choosing not to make this a central theme demonstrates that he is biased.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 28, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DeimosRising posted:

No? The wars in SE Asia were bad because imperialism is bad, and fighting wars to maintain dominance over others is bad. Lots of people died in the struggle to grant the people of the region self government, and that's bad. It's not a tragedy. It wasn't a tragedy for the US either, it was an idiotic, bungled imperial adventure.

You're looking at it solely through a geopolitical lens. What millions of people experienced throughout the duration of the war absolutely was tragic. Their stories overwhelm any geopolitical result, to the point that any objective account of Vietnam is going to have a disproportionate focus on the suffering and tragedies people went through. I think the disconnect here is that Burns was targeting human beings as his audience, not Henry Kissinger.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pretty sure you didn't even watch it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CeeJee posted:

Wild Wild Country on Netflix on the Bhagwan cult is mindblowing and every time you think it can't get crazier it does. At one point a former State Attorney mentions bioterrorism using blended beavers in the water supply and you can see he thinks it's probably nonsense but can't 100% be sure.

I just finished this up. The story is insane but the documentary is bad imo. They drag the whole thing out for 6 hours and of that like 10 minutes is spent digging into the poisoning and crazy poo poo that should've been at the center of the story. They really just give sheela and that lawyer dude a platform to say whatever they want to say unchallenged.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

magnificent7 posted:

These kinds of stories annoy the poo poo out of me. I've got ADHD, and I see my meds no different than the way somebody else would see glasses. There's probably abuse out there, but to turn the debate into "Do these ADD/ADHD kids really need meds or couldn't they just focus harder?" is no different than saying "Do these nearsighted/farsighted kids really need glasses or couldn't they just focus harder?"

Of course, no, I haven't watched the doc. I can't, I get too defensive and pissed at any argument that parents are babysitting their kids with meds. My parents had that attitude, I never took any ADD meds in school, despite being diagnosed in 7th grade. I barely passed every grade. A decade later I self diagnosed, (I never learned of my 7th grade diagnosis) and started taking Ritalin. It changed my life.

In the case of Adderall, it comes at a real cost. It's terrible for your heart, and that's exacerbated in children who's bodies are still developing. As someone who's struggled with ADD my whole life and was really frustrated with my mom who was very anti-medication, I still would be very hesitant about putting my kids on it. And yeah, a lot of kids don't need it and take it in college as a kind of performance enhancing drug. It's unbelievably widespread.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Interesting 4 part thing on Netflix now called "Evil Genius." Don't know how long it's been on there, but I recently stumbled across it. It follows the developments on a bank robbery case over a period of several years. One day a man with a bomb strapped to his chest, and carrying a homemade cane shotgun, walked into a bank and tried to rob it. He was eventually surrounded by police. He said that he was a pizza delivery man, and that he had been abducted by some black men who had strapped the bomb on his neck. He had been set off on an intricate scavenger hunt to find keys to take the device off. He didn't make the deadline, and the bomb went off, killing him immediately. From there, you go down the rabbit hole.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

That's a name I have not heard in a long, long time. I think he had a comedy central presents special that I loved as a kid.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

i did the same, its the "first steps" version
yes go do it if you can!

Gonna go see it at the museum on Sunday. Never been there but I've heard it's a huge screen so hopefully it'll be a cool experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Gonna go see it at the museum on Sunday. Never been there but I've heard it's a huge screen so hopefully it'll be a cool experience.

Definitely worth the watch imo. I never realized how terrifying that whole mission was.