Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

JimBobDole posted:

Atomic Cafe is one of my favorites as well as Trinity and Beyond.

I would also second these two as ones I've seen recently, really well done.
Gonna look into Atomic Cafe next, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Browsed back a couple of pages, but didn't find anything going back till early 2012. Would anybody know of any particularly good documentaries both about the Tsunami in Japan or the meltdown in Fukushima? I'd be interested both in good coverage from back in 2011, as well as documentaries revisiting the whole thing now that we're two (?) years past the disaster.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm looking for a decent documentary on the future of fission power generation - specifically the prospects of LFTR type thorium reactors - to show to some folks in my family so they may finally stop dumping every single form of nuclear power generation into one basket with Fukushima and Chernobyl. I mean yes, human error will gently caress up even the safest of technologies, but from what I've heard so far, but abundance of the element, reduced waste and reduced potential damage sound like some nice arguments.

Any recommendations?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That drat Satyr posted:

Fracknation This one isn't Netflix, but it was funded via Kickstarter and you should really just watch it. Basically the author goes back to the things mentioned in "Gasland" and tries to get the true facts, and... well. Another one you really should just check out.
http://viooz.co/movies/24296-fracknation-2013.html

Well, the only real reason to check Fracknation out would be to see the certifiably insane couple that Josh Fox based a large portion of "Gasland" on implode hilariously on camera. The one well-researched point this film drives home is that Josh Fox is an insufferable, disingeniuous douchebag that misrepresented/omitted things about Dimock, Pennsylvania, arguably the most infamous town in the entirety of the fracking discussion.

Another thing is the whole argument that fracking doesn't cause earthquakes, but while this is something the average Joe can basically research himself, the film doesn't really do a clean job of offering a solid argument for that as a rebuttal to Gasland.

Outside of the very genuine message of "You shouldn't judge fracking by noted ill-researched and misleading 'documentary' Gasland.", the rest of the film is basically "Fracking is good because":

- It secures the livelihood of farmers that aren't able to otherwise sustain themselves
- Josh Fox is a dickwhistle. Josh Fox opposes fracking. Josh Fox lied about fracking. Therefore fracking is good.
- Russia says fracking is bad. Russia is bad. Therefore we should frack the poo poo out of the planet to not be at Russia's mercy.
- Here's a poor old polish lady in Warszaw that can barely afford rent because Russia is dictating too high energy prices. Uh...fracking is good.
- Energy is good. Energy is basically what allowed humanity to progress to where it is today. Fracking provides energy. Fracking is good.
- Countries without energy are shitholes and the people living there will never see their dreams fulfilled. Fracking provides energy. Fracking makes your dreams come true.
- My friend Bart gave a kidney to his childhood friend Link. This required a really long surgery. That used energy. Energy is good. Fracking is energy. Fracking is good.

I mean, I'm more than willing to give McAleer considerably more leeway in terms of agenda than Josh Fox because he's a crowdfunded irish sweetheart and freelance journalist, but if he points fingers at Fox for trash-journalism, then he should kinda go easy on the trash journalism in his own documentary. I really wish he would have adressed in more detail questions raised by inaccuracies or outright misrepresentations of Gasland, like how the Energy Policy Act of 2005 affected regulation. Instead, it goes "lol, no that act didn't deregulate at all, it just exempted fracking from federal law and kept it regulated at state level, all is well" and that's the end of it.

Basically, I'd wish for a documentary that neither goes "FRACKING IS HITLER", nor "FRACKING IS JESUS, BECAUSE THIS DOUCHEBAG SAID IT'S HITLER!".

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Here's a bit of a documentary about Excel Eve Online, how it's different from other MMOs, how its players are huge nerds but also like to stick it to the man, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB1M9ZVuWtM

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Watching Terror at the Mall at the moment, not even 25 minutes in.

Jesus Christ, you guys weren't kidding.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Does anyone know of any good documentaries about Unit 731?
I've been watching a couple of NHK documentaries about the Fukushima aftermath 3 years later and kinda criss-crossed into ones about both North Korea, the Korean War, Japanese refugees in North Korea and between all the atrocities, I noticed I never really saw Unit 731 or its experiments covered on TV.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

amazeballs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilKzuY9tjyg

I'm a huge fan of both the Hotline Miami games and being able to listen to the developers talk about the experience of making it is loving rad.

That song in the opening of the video always gets me super-pumped to either run or work out, and now it has me pumped to watch this piece.

/edit

Dear Jesus god, there's a sequel?
Excuse me while I waste the rest of my day.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 16, 2015

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Can anyone recommend any documentaries regarding historic/extraordinary volcano eruptions/similar disasters, i.e. anything covering Mount St. Helens and such?

I recall seeing an age-old excerpt from a documentary regarding some volcano on an island with an army or air force base that slowly evacuated, with a skeleton crew of scientists staying behind and recording the event, but don't remember the name.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Anyone have a recommendation for what to do for a regular fix of space / universe documentaries?

I dig ones along the lines of Discovery Channel's "How the Universe works", or the really similar "The Universe", but also sifted through the remake of Cosmos with deGrasse Tyson.

poo poo like black holes, galaxies, and how the universe finds ways to make gravity either look awesome or break things really beautifully is kinda my poo poo. I need something a little more digestable and less emotional than the Vietnam documentary, but that still has potential to blow my mind.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman ranges from lame to really amazing. Also, there was one a few years ago with Stephen Hawking that was really good.

Ah, yeah, I've worked through that one too. One hell of a too-sleep-putter with that narration. Loved the bits where he ties his childhood into the topics as well. But I've cherry-picked the series dry pretty much, same with Brian Cox' series, was hoping there'd be a continuation or similar multipart-series like those.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wait, is that a standard Netflix feature now? That's pretty funny.

Combine that button with a browser plugin that automatically clicks it, and you're done with intros forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Quick question, since the name rings a bell: Was "The Staircase" on Netflix any good? I feel like I recall hearing about it in here.