Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

I watched Dear Zachary because of this thread. I couldn't stop thinking about it for awhile. I don't know when the last time was that a movie affected me that much.

Another good one is Night and Fog ("Nuit et Brouillard"). It's a very grim documentary about life inside the concentration camps during the holocaust. It includes photographs, news reels, and video footage. Obviously, it's very upsetting stuff to watch, but I think it's one of those films that everyone needs to see at some point.

It's available on Google Video, and it's only a little over 30 minutes long.

I saw it a couple years ago, and parts of it still give me chills to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

I'm in the middle of watching Audience of One and I already feel like I need to share it.

It's follows this Pentacostal preacher who saw his first movie, The Lion King, when he was 40-years-old, and became convinced that God wants him to start a film production company that's going to topple Hollywood.

His first movie is called GRAVITY: The Story of Joseph, and it's going to be "a mix between Star Wars and the Ten Commandments". He's got hugely lofty ideas for the film, and after some strange German investors give him $600,000, he and his small crew go to Italy to attempt to shoot the entire film in about 5 days.

It's really hilarious in a Jesus Camp/Hell House sort of way, but as the film progresses, the preacher/director's manic obsession with the film gets creepier and creepier.

It's streaming on Netflix, and it's also available on Youtube.

Audience of One

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Chicken Doodle posted:

I don't have one off hand, but you just reminded me of Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal, which is kind of up there, just replace lottery with game show.

Thanks for posting this, I really liked it. I ended up posting it on my facebook, and a bunch of my friends ended up watching and liking it, too.

One of my favorite documentaries, The Eyes of Tammy Faye, is up on youtube in its entirety now. If you haven't seen it, I really recommend it. It's really quirky and campy, and the whole thing is narrated by RuPaul. But it's also got a really big heart behind it.

Trailer: http://youtu.be/A6aGqvkYcO8
Film: http://youtu.be/ipaI7X4HmtE

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 13, 2011

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

I just got done watching The Virgin Daughters. It's about the American Evangelical Purity Ball movement, where girls (some as young as 5) make an oath to their fathers to be "pure" until their wedding day, and their fathers vow to protect them from other men by completely controlling their relationships. It's creepy, and a bit depressing. It just felt like they could've dug a little bit deeper into this one. I still liked it, though.

YouTube: http://youtu.be/03GizVZCPvQ

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Time for some more child abuse/exploitation!

Baby Bible Bashers follows three up-and-coming child preachers - 7-year-old Samuel Boutwell from Mississippi, 9-year-old Terry Durham from Florida, and 12-year-old Ana Carolina Dias of Brazil as they work tirelessly to spread the good news. Samuel has been preaching since the age of 3, and (by his own choice!) spends much of his time preaching in front of abortion clinics and passing out Chick tracts. Terry was ordained at the age of 6, and is believed to have been blessed with healing powers. Ana's been a preacher since age 3, and she's exploded into a national celebrity.

I got completely absorbed into this one. It's absolutely repulsive. It seems like child preachers, like these children, keep popping up in the news lately. Really makes me feel awful for them. :smith:

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oOPBAABzco
Part One: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v15575937B49RcfDp
Part Two: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v15575941qncHqE43

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

WouldDesk posted:

I watched this a few months back, when the weird guy (well, the REAAAALY fuckin weird guy) sneaks out of his hotel room and rapes his friends car in the parking lot I have no doubt my face went like this:

:geno:...:confused:...:stare:...:barf:

These guys are just beyond repair mentally. I can only think what the camera men were thinking throughout this shitstorm of a film. Especially when the guys puled out their dorks to masturbate to a piece of poo poo car. I just.. how does this happen?

That guy was absolutely terrifying, and I felt so bad for Jordan (the younger guy), because I figured he'd be really upset when he found out. But holy crap, that ending - "So, did you actually jizz on my car?"

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Blitzcreed posted:

Don't think this one has been linked yet.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/scientology-and-me/

The heavy hand of Scientology.

Not one to fall asleep to.

I watched this last night; it's really fascinating. I just stumbled on the follow-up documentary, The Secrets of Scientology. It's even better, because the first one focused more on the stalking whereas this one's a bit more in depth.

There's also a really interesting twist in this one... one of the henchmen who was stalking the reporter in the first documentary has defected, and gives some pretty candid information this time around.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

vjee32 posted:

^^^
Bulgaria's Abandoned Children revisited

"Revisited" of the previous documentary.

I just watched both of the movies. They're incredible.

The first one was so difficult to watch, but the second one was so uplifting. I can't believe how well everyone's improved :unsmith:

I have a really difficult time with this issue, because it's really easy for people to write this off as just something that happens in Bulgaria. Things aren't that great here in the U.S., either.

I was a social worker for a small agency that provided foster care, group homes, and in-home caregiving for people with developmental disabilities (until I got laid off in September because of some major state budget cuts). It wasn't that long ago that things were that bad here, and a lot of my clients who'd grown up in state-run institutions had severe emotional problems. Even though things have improved quite a bit, there's still so much work to be done. Awhile back, we had an influx of clients who were released into the community after the Corpus Christi state school fight clubs got public attention, so the state finally started to crack down on the state school system; they finally decided it would be a good idea to install security cameras and have their inspections done by people who didn't work for the state schools. Even with the community-based programs, like the one I worked for, there's still a lot of issues because the state oversight is rather lacking. My agency was really ethical and efficient, but when I'd have to collaborate with other agencies, it started to get pretty obvious how easy it is to make things look good on paper and during the yearly state inspections.

I had this one girl one my caseload for the entire almost-four years that I was there. You're really not supposed to have favorites, but she was mine. She'd been through a lot of abuse growing up, so she would tend to be withdrawn. The home she was living in was fine with that, because she would spend most of her time alone in her room and they wouldn't have to deal with her. When I started to realize the neglect that was going on, I had to fight hard to get her moved, because her state-supplied guardian didn't want to rock the boat and have to deal with the headache of getting her moved. The entire system is set up to give a basic level of care and sort of look the other way when things aren't great. (She ended up in a small group home and started flourishing; she finally came out of her shell :unsmith:)

Since funding for programs like the one I worked for just got slashed so heavily in Texas (around 25%), I'm really worried about how things might degrade. It's really frustrating, because when the economy starts going south, it's people like them that get hit first and hardest :smith:.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 27, 2011

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Hey thread! Does anyone have any recommendations for documentaries about bizarre/interesting subcultures? Those are always my favorite.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

acephalousuniverse posted:

Have you watched all the Weird Weekends?

I've actually never watched them. Now I've got something to do for the rest of the evening. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Hey y'all, does anyone have any good recommendations for movies on philosophy, theology, or mysticism? I really liked Waking Life (not really technically a documentary, I guess) and Into Great Silence, about life in a monastery in the French Alps (definitely not for everyone). I just really like meditative/contemplative films, especially if they've got some heady philosophy to absorb.

Edit - Also, any good funny, feel-good documentaries along the lines of Hands on a Hard Body, King of Kong, Spellbound, Best Worst Movie, etc? I work full time on a suicide hotline, so I need some good pick-me-up movies to have on file.

Thanks!!!

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 8, 2014