Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone catch "West of Memphis" yet? It's from the same person (Amy Berg) who made "Deliver us from Evil", a fairly stirring doc about a pedophile priest and the whole clusterfuck the Catholic Church has with the subject. I haven't followed the actual news stories about the WM3 case so I know very little about it and I'd love to be able to check this out. Is it getting an international release?

Sourpalm posted:

Install "Media Hint" plug-in for your browser and you're all set. It works as a proxy so you're not restricted to just localized content. Just switch it on/off depending on which content you want to browse. It also allows you to Hulu and Pandora. Works like a charm.
You are a magnificent bastard. Thanks for this. Also drat you because I'm supposed to work and not marathon movies. :arghfist::v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Are there any good documentaries regarding crime in late 40's Los Angeles? I know it's quite specific but I've always been really fascinated with that era and docs about it are oddly hard to find. I just watched James Ellroy's "Feast of Death" which was very fascinating despite focusing mostly on him as a person, but his recent docu-show on Discovery relies too much on strange pulpy presentation and awful re-enactments for me to enjoy it.

Anything concerning crime or law enforcement in 40's LA I'm up for.

E: Also, what are good documentaries about photojournalism in warzones? I watched one recently, Under Fire: Journalists in Combat which was pretty good and quite in-depth. Something similar would be great.

Popelmon posted:

You should really watch the Paradise Lost documentaries, they are great. And I think you can find them on Youtube.
I actually watched those like ten years ago, but forgot. Now I'm even more amped to see West of Memphis with no international or Netflix release in sight. :arghfist::(

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 11, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This was very good and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Deep Water is really good. Someone recommended this doc in another thread and I just watched it on Netflix. I don't want to give anything away because the story gets kind if creepy and crazy, but it's about the very first time there was a solo around-the-world sailing race in the late 60's and the doc tells about one of the contestants in that race. Things get pretty weird from there, it's really fascinating.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dear Zachary is indeed very sad but I hated how it's made. It's full of things where the guy narrating goes "Then he got into a car" (cut to a shot of a person getting into a car followed by the noise of an engine starting) and "He wrote them a letter" (shot of a letter being written with the noise of a pen scraping paper) and it's annoying as hell. But it's worth a watch if you can't find any other way of being emotionally punched in the stomach.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

Side By Side
I love documentaries about movie making. This one is pretty interesting about Digital vs. Film:

Wait what? Keanu Reeves? Yep. He's making a movie about movies and interviews some great directors, editors, cameramen. They compare the old movies to the new ones, the way digital has made it better, and worse, blah blah go watch the movie. It's on Netflix Streaming.
I really enjoyed watching this. I'm certainly closer to a layman when it comes to digital vs film but found this pretty educational and the passion both the interviewees and Reeves have for the subject helps a lot.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

One that I recently watched (on Netflix I think) is Murder by Proxy: How America Went Postal which focuses more on spree killings and the circumstances surrounding them. I remember it being pretty interesting and in-depth but it does feature some graphic stuff including an instance of a workplace shooting caught on CCTV.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

One that's probably been mentioned in this thread already but has to do with exposing religious fraud of sorts is Marjoe, a doc made in the 70's (I believe) about a guy who was groomed by his parents to be a religious icon from birth, leading him to become the youngest Baptist pastor in the world with him doing all kinds of weird poo poo like faith healing. At the time of the documentary he had grown out of his religious ways and went along with the doc crew to pretty much expose what a load of rubbish the whole thing is. I thought it was really fascinating and in the end Marjoe turned out to be a pretty cool dude.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Really enjoyed This Film is Not Yet Rated.
Yeah it was okay and a pretty interesting exposé about the ratings system, but at the same time I kind of hated the amount of time the doc spent with that weird private detective woman.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Didn't Michael Moore's Sicko get something done about medical insurances or something? It's been years since I saw that but I do distinctly remember him taking sick people to Cuba or something to get medical care.

And on that note Bowling for Columbine got K-Mart to stop selling ammunition.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Has anyone seen Blackfish yet? It's only now coming to theaters proper but debuted at Sundance in January. It seems interesting enough, very much along the lines of The Cove and such. I just watched the trailer and despite being inexplicably cut like some kind of an action/thriller trailer, it seems pretty interesting.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, that's my view too. Whatever they do in the documentaries, the pretty much always take a pretty good look around the areas they visit and usually that speaks for itself. And their North Korea stuff was really fascinating. And that stuff about the war journalist in Afghanistan, but he's not exactly a Vice guy as such.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Speaking of the History Channel, I just finished Ancient Aliens Debunked, which is a three hour passion piece dissecting the lies in Ancient Aliens. I loving love this. There's something seriously appealing about watching something you know to be terrible get dismantled with facts and references. Sadly, most of the youtube recommendations after watching this are the opposite kind of thing-IS HEAVEN REAL and Zeitgeist style bullshit. Are there any other skeptical, debunking docs out there?
That was three hours well spent. I love watching dumb crock like that get debunked but on top of all that it was actually pretty informative and fascinating when it peeled away all the Ancient Aliens nonsense. More stuff like this would be great.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I finally managed to catch Blackfish and while it's basically Humans Exploiting Sentient Beings for Profit: The Documentary, it's still extremely captivating and really reinforces what amazing animals Orcas are and how lovely SeaWorld is while remaining pretty objective. I highly recommend it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Digital Jedi posted:

Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe with Brian Cox. I never get tired of re-watching them. They show the Universe and our Solar System so beautifully.
Yeah, I'd recommend these as well, and the recent 3 episode thing Stephen Hawking did with Discovery is pretty cool too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I watched Chasing Ice on Netflix last night and it was pretty good. Wonderfully shot and there's a sequence at the end which is kind of mind boggling. I don't know if I want to spoil it, it's not that big of a surprise but if you want to watch nature being awesomely terrifying at a pretty insane scale and how hosed we'll all be in about a hundred years at this rate, I recommend it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Blackfish is also on Netflix right now, go watch it. It's remarkable.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The fact that it affected the people who saw it, even if they don't immediately pick up signs and go protest at the gates of Seaworld doesn't necessarily mean nothing will ever come of it. As long as it stays with a person it will be considerably easier for them to be aware of opportunities to change things and take advantage of those opportunities. That's something at least.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Proenneke is the loving man and that documentary is ridiculously fascinating. He makes it looks so easy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There was some VICE doc about them going into North Korea and semi-secretly filming all kinds of stuff, but a lot of folks don't like VICE too much so your mileage may vary. Personally I thought that particular doc was a pretty fascinating/depressing look into what really goes on in that country. It should be on Youtube somewhere but I can't seem to find it for some reason.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah Virunga is stellar, really makes you feel poo poo that you're not doing much to help the situation over there.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Very true, all a first-world slob like me can do I guess is donate which I did the moment the doc was over, but it's disheartening to know the national park is being exploited and under threat of war like that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just saw Dinosaur 13 and thought it was really good. As someone who doesn't know much about Sue or the story surrounding it, it certainly had an impact. Pretty impressive how it made me feel bad for a creature that's been dead for 65-odd million years.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, the real Sue is currently in Chicago. But I'd say the story of how she got there is well worth a watch.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm only a few episodes in (and it's fascinating as hell so far, really well made) and the very second I first saw the intro I thought of True Detective. Seriously if they just about copied it as is for season 2 I wouldn't bat an eye.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I spoiled myself on The Jinx by reading Durst's Wikipedia page moments before I saw the first episode today and if you intend to watch the doc, here's a hint: Don't read the Wikipedia page like a dumbass.

Still, incredibly riveting stuff and the last episode had me, literally, sitting on the edge of my couch. And on top of being spoiled, I sort of ruined the very last moments of it for myself by trying to see his "confession" from the point of view of a defense lawyer and him saying "I killed them, of course I did." could be argued as him being sarcastic after being a suspect for the murders for such a long time as in, "Of course I'm the murderer [because that's what everyone thinks.]"

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah I knew just about everything the doc had in it but I'd never seen it all together like that. What a bunch of scamming maniacs. I kind of feel bad for people like Travolta and Cruise since they have the status to totally damage the church but either completely buy into it (Cruise) or are effectively being blackmailed into playing along (Travolta).

And yeah, the conventions had a pretty hosed up Nazi-rally feel to them. I really hope they make some huge mistake along the way or the IRS grows its balls back and goes after them properly this time. I can't wait to see how it all falls apart.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Too bad they didn't mention anything about the people who have, indirectly in most cases, been killed by scientologists through things like locking sick people up with no access to (real) doctors or medicine and pushing depressed people enough for them to kill themselves and calling them weak to boot because they couldn't shake their depression through means prescribed by scientology.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just watched The Imposter on Netflix. Crazy story, went in knowing nothing about it and it's really compelling and keeps getting crazier and crazier.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

On a documentary kick right now, and on topic I just watched Gibney's Taxi to the Dark Side about US torture policies and loving hell. Once again, like with Going Clear, it's about things I at least generally knew about but presented in a way that gives it maximum impact and also goes into pretty horrifying detail about the subject. I wonder, even with the more recent evidence of overseas torture, how many people still remember detainee torture under the Bush administration. I felt pretty ashamed that most of it, (even Abu Ghraib!) had more or less slipped my mind or been softened over time to something far more innocuous than it actually was and the doc was a very much needed refresher on the subject.

I also watched Jarecki's Capturing the Friedmans which was disturbing but very good, I felt. Goddamn I need a pick-me-up.

Next up, The Act of Killing! :suicide:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't know, I mean it didn't surprise me that the film focused mainly on him, and it was kind of apparent, especially towards the end that the guy was a huge bullshit artist and a compulsive liar, yet surprisingly candid, if in a callous and slightly sociopathic way, about the experience.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

Just finished The Jinx, and it strikes me that in an odd way it and The Act of Killing are similar in some ways. Both deal with individuals who ostensibly showed no sign of remorse for having killed people and gotten away with it; both deal with confronting those individuals over and over again with the details of what they did and the lives of the people they killed; and both end with the killer vomiting after realizing how the process of producing the documentary has affected them.
I felt in The Act of Killing the person in question showed considerably more guilt, I don't think Robert Durst is capable of feeling something like that. The Jinx was still considerably more cathartic to watch because there is, as we now know, a chance that Durst will be made accountable for his actions.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Waco: Rules of Engagement is also on Youtube if you can stand the 360p-ness. Going into it even with the slightest bit of :tinfoil: and a giant grain of salt, it makes a compelling as hell case against ATF and the FBI.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Bully was drat-near hearbreaking. Great documentary, if frustrating at times.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This must've been mentioned in the thread already but I don't remember seeing it so I may as well mention 2004's Soupçons (also known as The Staircase), an 8-episode miniseries documentary about the Kathleen Peterson murder case by Oscar-winner Jean-Xavier de Lestrade. It goes through pretty much the whole thing and offers a really fascinating in-depth look into the whole case from the defense's point of view, pretty much the best courtroom doc I've ever seen with several twists and turns.

I went into it without knowing much of anything about Peterson or the case and it totally hooked me. It's very matter-of-fact and occasionally very candid doc. It also got a sequel a couple of years ago called The Last Chance which was a worthy and equally interesting continuation. Definitely recommending it if you're interested in the US legal system or true crime stuff.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I can't say, it's hardly unheard of, I mean it did focus pretty much entirely on the defense's side after all, but I was definitely thinking it would come down as a guilty verdict after the time of jury deliberation and what evidence the prosecution was shown to present to the jury.

Also, in The Last Chance, it's said by at least one juror that Duane Deaver's testimony was a huge factor behind the original verdict and of course it's shown that Deaver was extremely unreliable as a witness (and is in fact currently facing criminal charges) but if it did indeed sway them one way or the other, it was at least shown in the documentary.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just watched Give Up Tomorrow on Netflix, a documentary about the Chiong murder case in the Philippines where seven men were convicted for kidnapping, raping and murdering two sisters. The whole thing was pretty staggering to watch for reasons I'd rather not spoil for anyone who wants to check it out. It's a hell of a story and it's still ongoing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

djwetmouse posted:

This is in poor taste but I want to watch documentaries on 9/ 11 mostly conspiracy ones or movies about people who pretended they were at ground zero. I'm having trouble finding the non you tube ones.
This is probably not going to be much help, but I know there's a documentary about a spanish (?) woman who claimed to have been there to get attention and people started picking her story apart, I just can't remember the name of it. I do remember it being a fascinating documentary though.

mod sassinator posted:

If you want to see actual ground zero as the firefighters worked on it, check out the documentary '9/11' from two French guys that were there and had cameras rolling. It's an amazing documentary and pretty moving to watch. There's crazy footage of the planes hitting the towers in it too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miA8Td4oNcY
I watched this a few years ago (without the weird Robert De Niro hosting) and yeah, it's pretty much the best eyewitness documentary available of the attacks. None of the conspiracy bullshit, just harrowing footage of what was happening, and the people who were involved taking you through it all. I'm wary of the :911: rah rah rah stuff usually present in these documentaries but in this it all comes off as very sincere and indeed moving. It's pretty remarkable that it was meant to be a simple documentary about a guy starting work at a firestation and turned out to be something that captured a hugely significant event.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

sithwitch13 posted:

"The Woman Who Wasn't There." I watched this last year or so and really liked it.
That's the one! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone know any good in-depth historical documentaries about the Spanish conquest of Central and South America during the 16th and 17th centuries? If there's stuff about naval warfare in there somewhere, even better.