Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

My favorite North Korean documentary is The Red Chapel. It's two korean/danish comedians who travel to North Korea under the pretext of doing some cultural exchange stuff. One of them is disabled and it really makes the North Koreans uncomfortable. You get a much more candid look at North Korea more along the lines of the Vice documentaries. There is also one batshit crazy scene where they try to get the kids to be part of a parade that I don't want to spoil.
It isn't on Netflix instant anymore but you can get the DVD still.

Mads Brugger's great. I love The Ambassador too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Schlinky posted:

I might take a look into that Eagles doco, could be worth the look.

Would anyone else be able to recommend some interesting music documentaries? I'm interested less about the history of an era and more about the stories behind the people, but I'm totally up for anything if it's good.

Have you ever watched any of the Sex Pistols docs? I think The Filth and the Fury is supposed to be the best one, but you'd probably enjoy any of them if the whole misanthropic, self-destructive personality element was one of the things you enjoyed most about the Ginger Baker one.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Schlinky posted:

I might take a look into that Eagles doco, could be worth the look.

Would anyone else be able to recommend some interesting music documentaries? I'm interested less about the history of an era and more about the stories behind the people, but I'm totally up for anything if it's good.

Schlinky, I just watched an awesome one called The Great Hip Hop Hoax. It's about two Scottish rappers who keep getting told that Scottish rappers aren't marketable and treated like a joke whenever they try to make contacts with music industry people in London, so they reinvent themselves by faking American accents and saying they're from California.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

cstang posted:

PBS has Last Days in Vietnam up on their website. It's only going to be available February 5th through the 7th. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/lastdays/

I've been wanting to see this, thanks for posting it.

On a loosely related note: I watched The Missing Picture doc recently, it was really depressing but also really good and bittersweet. It's a guy narrating his experiences suffering under the Khmer Rouge's oppression in the years after they took power in Cambodia. It uses hand-made figurines and dioramas as the visualizations for most of the narration with some old footage from TV and Khmer made propaganda films too.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Any suggestions for organized crime documentaries? Mafia/Russian organized crime/cocaine era gangs/whatever. I remember there being a couple Russian organized crime/prison gangs documentaries that were well received a few years ago, but I can't remember any of their names.

Whitey: The United States vs James J Bulger is pretty good.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Viginti posted:

In preparation for the finale of The Jinx I re-watched Capturing The Friedmans and boy, did I like it even less the second time around. So much so that it likely soured my viewing of the finale. Where do DocGoons stand on the film? Especially on Jarecki himself?

I watched Capturing the Friedmans a long time ago and remember that it dealt with pedophilia and was depressing but can't remember much specific about it. Could you go into more detail about why you didn't like it? (maybe it'll jog my memory about it)

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Allyn posted:

"This film should be made about Christianity" kinda rings hollow when Mea Maxima Culpa exists

Catholic, christian, muslim, etc. organized religion bashing films are pretty much an established film genre at this point. You would have to willfully put blinders on to not have encountered any.

And regardless of whatever anyone thinks of it's quality as a documentary film, its awesome that it was made and shown on a network as big as HBO after how long and how bad people who've criticized Scientology have been hosed with over the years.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Allyn posted:

Yeah but I think both he meant Gibney specifically. I certainly did :shobon:

I wasn't really aiming the comment at you, I was adding to your point. I didn't know he was talking about that director in particular, I thought he meant in general. Still, a director shouldn't have to address every religion just to make a doc bashing one.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Zwabu posted:

I thought this movie was a pretty interesting watch, but I felt the filmmaker gave too much credence to the imposter guy's viewpoint, to the picture he painted. The only guy who is indisputably a villain in the story is the imposter, there's really no evidence to support the picture the dude paints and the implications about the family aside from some really odd behavior, and the guy has every incentive to make those implications to take some of the heat off of him. I felt like the director gave this point of view too much weight, probably because it made for a more "shocking" twist about WHAT MIGHT HAVE REALLY HAPPENED.

Yeah, I agree. It was a good doc and the Imposter dude's life story in general, and his time in America specifically, were captivating enough without throwing in the whole cheap & sensationalist "did the family really do it" angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Every single one of those guys traded information for protection at some point. Bulger just made a big show of refusing to testify because it's his last fight and he wants the streets to remember him as an outlaw hero.

Yeah, while it made for an entertaining doc and his movie lawyer did a great job selling it, I don't buy Whitey's not-a-snitch story for a second.

Raxivace posted:

Sounds like the tagline to a great action movie.

Really though, can't wait to check the doc out.

Yeah, same here, I hope it makes it to some type of VOD soon.