Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Stare-Out posted:

Is that weird tickling doc gonna be available anywhere anytime soon? Seems interesting enough and there's a lot of buzz around it but it's not in theaters or on demand anywhere.

Yeah, I'm really annoyed I can't watch this yet.

I think I read it's gonna be out on iTunes November 11th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Duckwaffle posted:

Tickled is on Itunes already: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/tickled/id1133845642
Totally worth the rental.

"Pre-Order"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Kurzon posted:

I'm coming here out of nowhere to plug this excellent PBS Nova documentary on that Dover, PA case some 10 years or so ago where Christian fundamentalists tried and failed to force evolution out of the local school curriculum. It's superbly detailed one, good enough to be used in a classroom as teaching material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2xyrel-2vI

This sounds awesome, thanks for posting it, I'll definitely be checking it out soon.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I think it's a really great companion piece to Going Clear. Going Clear goes into the depths of just how life-destroying it is to EVERYONE who it touches, while this one focuses on how it can change a couple of people's. He said it best himself, it couldn't have fallen together better for him. "How do we show that we're sane and not what he's trying to show us as? By doing exactly what he's showing us as and worse." It's a very hilarious movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

drat, that looks real good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I am Not Your Negro is finally out widely, it's really really excellent. This was my first exposure to James Baldwin, and I have to say I'm incredibly interested in reading more. His prose is hypnotizing and powerful. You can feel the nature of everything he is saying just from how incredible of a writer he is. It's interspersed with footage of current day (some in black and white for effect) to show just how far we've come (not).

Also Samuel L. Jackson was an absolutely perfect choice for reading his words, he reads slowly and puts the emphasis needed on the words.

Definitely recommend.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Never Sleep Again owns, you don't feel the length at all.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I am Not Your Negro is being added on Amazon Instant next month, definitely check it out when it gets put up.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man, the conclusion of Mommy Dead and Dearest is really strange. I'm not at all used to seeing murder cases resolve that way.

Right? It's just one of those cases where everyone just went "gently caress, man..." and gave (what I believe to be) the correct sentencing.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Not just you, but definitely not what I thought at the end.

I think the big mistake you (and a lot of other people) made was not reading the title of the series, even though it's there in every episode. The name of the series is The Keepers, not "Who Murdered this Nun?"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, because there is absolutely no history of long term, covered up sexual abuse in the Catholic Church
:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The Challenge is finally getting a limited release in the US and it's my favorite doc I've seen this year. The photography is absurdly good and it portrays a world that you think can't possibly be real. It also has a Morricone-esque score. It's this guy's first feature after a brilliant short called San Siro and I'm already convinced he's a world-class film artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msiaw32R81M

What the gently caress? This looks awesome.