Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Bliggers- posted:

16 "The Two Escobars" by Jeff and Michael Zimbalist
The lives of soccer player Andrés Escobar and drug lord Pablo Escobar; the intertwining of crime and soccer in their native Colombia; and the connections between the murders of both men. (2 hours in length)

If you like this you should check out "My Father Pablo Escobar".It tells Escobar's story from the point of view of his son who then meets the politicians his father had assassinated and apologises for his actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is there anywhere to watch this online? It sounds absolutely amazing.

It just came out on DVD yesterday. Buy it, it's really entertaining and comes free with a fantastic pair of 2D glasses.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Mrens posted:

I do really love how British TV operates though, anything interesting they base a documentary on, I wish America would do this more, the only documentaries anyone watches are usually big box office movies that are very few and are usually very biased and misrepresent facts.

It's more due to the fact that documentaries like Dawkins' are cheap and easy to produce and channels here don't have the cash to fill schedules with 20+ episode dramas or sitcoms.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Xipe posted:

A Place for Paedophiles (Louis Theroux)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frvc1snhF98&p=AB120288690C1504&playnext=1&index=22

It's probably not on Youtube but his latest documentary Welcom to Lagos is up on iPlayer if you're in the UK.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

My Father Pablo Escobar does a much better job of telling the story.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

Still obsessed with North Korea situation so...
Inside Undercover in North Korea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_268_pBvPs

The ending, with the reactions of the patients after the surgery, is particularly frightening.

Have you seen Kim Jong Il's Comedy Club? It's my favourite film about North Korea.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

a 16 year old girl posted:

The ABC's of DADA

The opening theme of this is incredible.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

LawrenceOfHerLabia posted:

Pipski posted that two pages ago. :effort:

poo poo, I missed that!

Its streaming on 4od:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/village-of-the-dolls/4od#3184727

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Feltch posted:

Can anyone suggest anything similar to The Fog of War in terms of mood and message? I love the way that documentary is filmed, the music is amazing and McNamara was a very intelligent, honest and well spoken narrator which made it great. I even play The Fog of War on my computer while I'm doing other spreadsheet work because I really enjoy hearing the sound clips, the music and McNamara's reflections on his own life.

The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers is not as good but is shot in a very similar style.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

permabanned posted:

Blocked in Norway...

I'm in the UK and it says its not available in my country. What the hell.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

i am not zach posted:

This was great, highly recommend it to anyone. Whens the next one coming?

It airs on Monday. Curtis wrote an article which I think features some of the content of the episode for today's Observer:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/may/29/adam-curtis-ecosystems-tansley-smuts

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Drewsky posted:

Is the Miami Megajail doc just two parts?

Yep just the two. That's still twice as long as his docs normally are though.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

ravenkult posted:

Any recommendations for documentaries about art or street art? Not too dry though.

I watched ''Exit through the gift shop'' and found that interesting.

Its the polar opposite of Exit Through the Gif Shop but there's a BBC documentary called Shock of the New which is a great guide to modern art.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

simplefish posted:

I haven't seen anything in a long, long time that makes me so incredibly angry. There are clearly laws being broken, both national and European, the Irish government ignoring its people, and a community which ends up being forced against each other. Available on 4oD, and it has an IMDB entry.

This is well woth watching. It's a completely shocking look at a community and way of life being torn apart by a corporation.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I get "not available" on that link for whatever reason. They actually region locked the youtube video. what the gently caress. "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

It's hosted on 4OD's youtube page, they only have UK broadcast rights for the film.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Zorba the Greek posted:

Does anyone have any documentaries about Judaism? Especially Orthodox or Conservative Jews? Or Jews in Israel? Thanks.

I haven't seen it myself but Defamation is about antisemitisms effects on Israeli politics and is supposed to be pretty. Louis Theroux also recently made a doc called Louis and the Ultra Zionists in which he meets Jewish settlers in the West Bank.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

I remember seeing that when it first aired and feeling utterly in awe at the insanity of the whole air. Watching the footage of them on the motorway it still feels unreal somehow, like its really a viral trailer for a film or something.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Communocracy posted:

Isn't this a fictional drama series?

Yeah it's based on real events but calling it a documentary is a bit of a stretch.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

doctor 7 posted:

Dear Zachary is a really, really amateurish documentary so missing it isn't a big deal, honestly.

That's part of the charm thhat people finds so appealing about the movie.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Scuttle_SE posted:

Brainwash / Hjernevask

In 2010 a television show called "Hjernevask" ("Brainwash") which contrasted cultural determinist models of human behavior (also referred to as the Standard social science model) with nature-nurture interactionist perspectives made some noise in norway. Several of those who were interviewed for the show criticized the show publicly both before and after the airing, and this ignited a wide public discussion on the subject of nature versus nurture debate. Specially the question of gender, and what is referred to as the gender paradox (the fact that although Norwegian women are largely represented within the working stock, more so than most countries, the Norwegian job market remains highly segregated in terms of gender) has provoked controversy.

Warning, subtitles!

Is the obnoxiously large boom mic the presenter carries around supposed to be a joke?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

There's also a short documentary about the French National Library called Toute la mémoire du monde.It's directed by Alan Resnais who went on to make Hiroshima Mon Amour and Last Year at Marienbad.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

The BBC made a good doc about the Cammora in Italy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgiuTqi5R-o

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

melon cat posted:

Can anyone recommend some good documentaries on UFO sightings-er, sorry, "weather balloons"?

This one hosted by Danny Dyer is worth a laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxc1W8exe7g

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

tobutt posted:

I understand the desire for more eyeballs, and it is a good topic upon which many eyes should be laid and all that, but it just kind of sits here. GBS is supposed to be general topics that get discussed for a while and then move on, and we have Cinema Discusso for extended, sustained discussion of this sort of thing.

Maybe GBS could use another thread, but we should give it a while. And actually, now that I'm thinking of it, I'm going to move it to CD so it lives/gets archived/whatever there. For future generations to gaze upon.

There's already a documentary thread in CD which was last posted in yesterday.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Are they on iPlayer?

They're all still on there at the moment, but will be disappeared come Monday.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

mrfart posted:

Who are you talking about?

Niall Ferguson probably. He made a show on the Empire in which he claimed the horrors of colonialism were entirely justified by the fact that the British were spreading the wonders of the free market around the world.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Terror, Robespierre and the French Revolution

A BBC documentary with reinactment bits about the terror era of the Revolution where academics also discuss Robespierre and his part in the creation of state sponsered terror.

I wish every history document were half as good as this one.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

My only objection really is the French Academic having a horribly watery lisp than clashes with his accent. This wouldn't be so bad but he gets so worked up in this.

You mean Zizek? He's Slovenian not French and a large part of his fame comes from the traits you just described.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

explosivo posted:

No, it was just a well told story the way it all unfolded on camera. I watched it again with my parents and it was still entertaining, but I think most of the fun is watching it with people who don't know the twist yet. I get your point though, I just felt it was a good movie either way.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a fictional film the dude is making a bit of an insane leap in logic there.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You might find this interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9JDJdaMs-Y

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So I'm happily going to be spending a vacation at yellowstone. Does anyone have a good list of some documentaries covering the area? nature, wildlife, events, etc.

The BBC made a really interestin programme about Yellowstone as part of its Unnatural Histories series. It looks at how the Victorian ideals led to the creation of the parks and how the park itself was shaped by man over the years.

http://www.favupload.com/video/4412/

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I need some help. I'm looking for a documentary I saw years ago but forgot the name of, it's about offshore oil drilling and how the dwindling undersea oil fields make us employ ever more extreme measure to get at the oil. I believe a lot of it takes place off the coast of South America and the Brazilian oil company Petrobras is mentioned a few times.

Gasland?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

EMZ998 posted:

Could I get recommended documentaries about China / Chinese History available on Hulu or Netflix? I know that is an incredible amount to cover, primarily anything that could pertain to modern society over there and maybe their relations with Taiwan, Hong Kong etc.

All I'm aware of is Nanking. Any help appreciated.

It's on Youtube but this one is pretty good:
http://youtu.be/Qg-PgXt8Tkc
It's a little dry at times but it covers all of Chinese history from the collapse of the Qing dynasty to Deng Xiaoping's rise in about six hours.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

cardedagain posted:

is this better than the Vice Guide To Liberia?

The two aren't really comparable. Redemption is a great study of a very interesting person that leaves you to make your own decision as to his character. The only thing I can really compare it to is Barbet Schroeder's film portrait of Idi Amin.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Chris Marker's Letter from Siberia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPE5XQqObZI
Not a documentary per se, it's more of an experimental art film, but it's an interesting portrait of the place.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

unam3d posted:

Thanks to Jambo Jambos on the Jim'll Fix It: literally every 1970s icon was a nonce. Even him. And him. And them. GBS thread for making me aware of this documentary.

Let me know if you find a better quality version.

Never thought I'd see anybody thanking someone for introducing to them to that doc.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Promethea posted:

A treat for you, thread: Adam Curtis's fantastic documentary "The Way of All Flesh" is on YT. I saw this on BBC2 back when it was new and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. It's the story of Henrietta Lacks, her line of cancerous, yet immortal cells and a wider look at how modern science has attempted to fight cancer, as well as a hard look at some highly questionable medical ethics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0lMrp_ySg8

Re-watching it now, it's possibly dated a little. I think he's often quite patronising to Henrietta Lack's relatives, for example but it's still an astonishing story.

It's been up on his blog in higher quality for a while now.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

escape artist posted:

This is a wonderful documentary directed and narrated by the magnanimous Werner Herzog:

It's not available for free, but trust me, it is worth it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWycuaWJFCM

His new documentary Happy People is really great as well.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Anybody know any good documentaries about the Dutch Republic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Mouser.. posted:

I've been on this kick of documentaries where the documentary crew started filming for a different reason and over time, the tone of the documentary turns from optimistic to very pessimistic. A few examples are Lost in La Mancha, The Queen of Versailles and Overnight

Is there any others that can be recommended in this Riches to Rags style?

EDIT: And I've also already seen Catfish

This is similar to Lost in La Mancha. It's about a pastor trying to make an epic religious movie he hopes will rival Star Wars:
http://www.youtube.com/movie/audience-of-one