Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

discoukulele posted:

Hey thread! Does anyone have any recommendations for documentaries about bizarre/interesting subcultures? Those are always my favorite.

Room 237 is supposed to be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drunkboxer posted:

A new Ken Burns documentary series on the Roosevelt family started last night. I guess most people know what to expect from Ken Burns by now, but I still really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the more Eleanor centric episodes because I know the least about her.

I'm probably going to spend my Saturday catching up with this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mahoning posted:

After finishing the Roosevelts, I'm really tempted to make a Ken Burns megathread to discuss his general body of work. I don't know if it would get many people posting in it but I may try anyways. Gonna finish The Dust Bowl first.

I would read this. I've only ever seen the Civil War but I found out most of his stuff is on Netflix so I'll try to catch up on it when I have free time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KoRMaK posted:

There was a documentary about skunkworks, where they explain the history of the name and the program inside Lockheed, but I can't remember the name. Does anyone know good skunkworks docus?

Not a documentary but the book is pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Personal-Memoir-Lockheed/dp/0316743003

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Doctor posted:

Any recommendations for documentaries on American history?

All of Ken Burns' stuff, most of it is on Netflix. I highly recommend The Civil War.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SeanBeansShako posted:

Odd, I was thinking about trying to look around the internet for that or more modern conflicts in Imperial era China. Any suggestions?

http://vimeo.com/94828509

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Any suggestions for organized crime documentaries? Mafia/Russian organized crime/cocaine era gangs/whatever. I remember there being a couple Russian organized crime/prison gangs documentaries that were well received a few years ago, but I can't remember any of their names.

I just finished watching a 30 for 30 documentary on Netflix about the Boston College point shaving scheme and it was pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mod sassinator posted:

The first episode of CNN's new documentary series The Eighties premiered Thursday last week and is really really good. Definitely worth tracking down through whatever means you have for finding TV shows online. It's produced by Tom Hanks, just like their past docs on the 60's and 70's. The intro for it is a major nostalgia blast, here's all of them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Rswf_C3WU

I think The Sixties and The Seventies are on Netflix now too.