Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

I only recently saw Undefeated too and I loved it. It may not be Hoop Dreams but I think it comes very close. Bill Courtney is a true American hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Near Death is definitely my favorite, but probably his least accessible, clocking in at 6 hours. I found it incredibly easy to watch it one sitting though. The short description is, he hangs around an intensive/palliative care unit, listening to dialogue between all combinations of doctors, nurses, patients, and family members. It isn't very personal, I don't think a patient is ever referred to by name, so it is surprisingly not as emotional as you might think (not to say that it never is). It also never felt repetitive. It may be impossible to truly have an objective documentary, but Wiseman's stuff comes the closest.

But yes, his stuff can be very difficult to find. If you are looking for something that is practically identical in his method, look for Allan King's films, which are on the Eclipse Series. He also has a palliative care documentary, Dying at Grace. Almost as good, and infinitely more recommendable as it's only 2.5 hours and has a stronger emotional appeal.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Memory for Max, Claire, Ida and Company is an Allan King documentary on dementia. Heartbreaking, but the focus is on the individuals and loved ones, and not the science, so it depends on what you're looking for, but I highly recommend it.