Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Don Verga posted:

I was hoping someone here could recommend some documentaries about eastern European gangs, or any documentaries about soccer violence, gangs, hooligans around the world.

Watch more Ross Kemp, visiting dangerous cities and interviewing dangerous gangs is pretty much all he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

im gay posted:

Can anyone recommend documentaries like "Whore's Glory"? Or documentaries where they look at developing countries, specifically the people or environment?

Workingman's Death was also really good.

Darwin's Nightmare.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shiny Llama posted:

Are there any good documentaries on Prince that were actually finished and released?
The only stuff I can find seems to be guys talking about how they were planning on making one but were denied by the man himself.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGqUwr9j8Zc

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watching Time: The Kalief Browder Story and it does a really good job of showing of hosed up american prisons (especially Rikers Island) are.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

No such thing. Burns is pushing a perspective the same as any other documentarian or historian. Like what is your argument here, republicans buy shoes too? Or do you think it's good that the documentary portrays Vietnam as a tragedy for America so jingoists can relate?
Burns portrays it as a tragedy for Vietnam though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why's it a tragedy for Vietnam?

Because over three million vietnamese were killed during the war and forty two thousand has died of unexploded ordnance since the war officially ended?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

But's that's not a tragedy. That's a war.

Yeah, a war that according to Burn's documentary was fueled and prolonged by american intervention.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

War was not "fueled and prolonged by" the United States.

Nixon literally sabotaged peace negotiations in order to make the war last longer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

dirty money is amazing (apart from the quebec maple syrup one) - especially the trump episode.

I liked the maple syrup episode because of how bizarre the syrup business in Canada is.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mahoning posted:

The Staircase has been added to Netflix. It’s a true crime doc series from before true crime doc series were a thing. I wanna say it’s maybe 10 years old. It’s really good and they’ve actually produced 3 new episodes of it. I haven’t seen it in a few years so I’m kind of interested in watching the whole thing again with the new episodes.

Blowpoke:byodood:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

Just watched the Netflix version of The Staircase and man, what a ride. I watched the first Staircase when it came out and got completely hooked on it, then the second and finally now the third. It's so good.

The one thing I noticed the Netflix version completely cut out was the whole Owl theory thing, I think it was fairly prominent in The Last Chance/Staircase 2 but the only reference to it is in passing by David Rudolf in the second to last episode. I liked having it as a part of the doc originally because it was such an out-there theory but I remember it being somewhat well justified.

Still, check it out if you haven't already. It's up there with the best true crime, fly-on-the-wall, non-sensationalized courtroom documentaries.

Henry Lee is the highlight of that show. He politely and charmingly destroys the DA's evidence but still gets ignored because he's too "foreign".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

After watching it twice I can't believe he murdered her. Like it makes no sense motive wise or murder weapon wise

But he had filth on his computer. Pure filth!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Honestly, I think the judge was the worst of them all of all. He just silently watches it all unfolds and then later non-nonchalantly admits how hosed up it was and that he might have ruined a man's life over nothing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

not trolled not crying posted:

But having watched the documentary, to me it's most likely that the guy did it. He gives out some weird OJ vibes with his nervous laughter and weird jokes about murder and killing etc.
There's no "right" way to react to the things that he experienced though. Giving out weird vibes is not evidence of being a murder.

quote:

Plus, in the earlier episodes you can see it in the defense's faces that they are struggling to come up with different ways how the lady could have gotten those injuries and even admitting that it's tough to figure it out. An interesting case for sure, but to me it just seems to be so straight forward and obvious but with all the surrounding poo poo from both sides making it such a poo poo show that no one can think straight anymore.
It's not their job to figure out what happened and saying "we don't know what really happened but we know what is most likely to have happened" than the DA's strategy of saying "we know exactly what happened even if we have to fudge the experiments to replicate it".

And for it having to be a murder Peterson would have chosen a weapon that could lacerate but not break the skull (blowpoke!), stand in a very specific angle and since there's no defense wounds his wife must've laid completely still while he beat her. Not to mention that his supposed motive boils down to "he was a filthy degenerative".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

I didn't get "OJ vibes" from him at all. Guy mostly just seemed insanely bewildered at how hosed up his situation was.

I actually liked that he was aware enough to talk about how insanely more hosed he would have been if he wasn't a white rich man.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

I'm sorry y'all - you can say Owl, or Waterfowl, or Superbowl, but that all fades away when you hear, "His previous wife died from a fall down the stairs as well."
It wasn't his previous wife, it was a friend's wife.
He had absolutely no motive for killing her.
The german doctor concluded that she died of an aneurysm.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

Basically, I'm left still wondering what happened. A fall seems plausible, but every time I see the crime scene pictures all I can think of is how much blood there is and how it's absolutely everywhere.

Head wounds are just insane. I work in a kindergarten and one day a kid fell and got a little cut on his forehead. After I had rushed him to bathroom to try and comfort him and stop the bleeding there was blood everywhere. On my clothes, on his clothes, where he had fallen and in the bathroom.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

OK, the blood can be explained by the number of lacerations, but the number and shape of lacerations still appear to me not at all to be in line with an individual falling and repeatedly hitting their head in a stairwell. I think at some point Rudolph mentions that there was some sort of metal fixture or something in the landing of the stairwell that she might've been hitting her head against, but neither side in the documentary seems to talk about that and in the diagrams it's not exactly clear.
In my experience working in kindergarten it's extremely easy to cut your head when falling. Also the DA's explanation was that Peterson was mad but not restrained enough to not break the skull and choose a weapon that would lacerate without cracking the skull.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Power of Grayskull which was pretty fun. I had no idea that Moebius did concept art for the movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just started watching Making a Murderer and the interrogations are painful to watch:
"Say you did it"
"No"
"Coooome ooooooon"
"No"
"Why won't you say you did it?"
"I didn't do it"
"Yes, you did. Just say it"

Ugh

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

I also love rewatching When We Were Kings for inspirational purposes.

Ali Bomaye!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just watched the malaysian episode of Dirty Money. The highlight was the fact that fugitive investor Jho Low gifted a transparent piano to Miranda Kerr. She then built a room around it which made it impossible to confiscate because the feds couldn't get it out of the door.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

Anyone catch "The Mole: Infiltrating North Korea" on BBC? I thought it was excellent and tense as hell. If you get a chance to see it, go in knowing as little about it as possible.

It's mind boggling how a couple of amateurs can infiltrate an authoritarian police state so easily. "James" is just pulling lies out of his rear end (he doesn't even know what to call his fake company before he's in North Korea) and everybody completely buys it. They just let them take videos and pictures in their super secret villain lair.

One of my favorite moment is how everybody stress that you have to be able to keep up with the drinking in North Korea and then the two danes completely drink them under the table.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 29, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Woodstock 99 documentary on HBO is literally this:

Plus, holy poo poo, John Scher just blatantly said right out he partially blamed the girls for being raped.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cardedagain posted:

rape is wrong.

rape also seems to always be a one-sided issue, though.

Uh... what?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the documentary series about the murders at Starved Rock and I really didn't see the twist coming: In the previous episodes the show has been leading up to making Weger seems totally innocent and having the support of the local community. In the last episode it's shown that he sent dark and sexual letters to the producer, that he can't keep his story straight and that the locals who support him are total lunatics who believe that framing Weger for murder is part of a larger conspiracy that involves pede organisations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films and it's kinda fascinating how split the people who worked for them is. One director says they allowed him to make his best movie while an actress is still so mad at them that she put a lighter to the dvd of the movie she was in.
I liked what one of the talking heads said about them, that they loved movies in the abstract. They wanted to make good movies, but they didn't want to put in the effort of learning how to do it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Porfiriato posted:

I’ve been meaning to watch that, as some friends and I went through a period where we were very into Cannon Films/Golan-Globus productions, particularly America 3000, which I see now is the movie the actress set fire to in the documentary lol

After watching the documentary I can't blame her. Some of the actresses talk about how terrible they were treated. One were forced to lay naked on a cellar floor between takes for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Wild, Wild Country and it was fascinating to see some of the people still stanning Rajneesh even though he by all accounts was a terrible person. It's also filled with the worst person you know making valid points. The residents in Oregon correctly assumes that the cult is dangerous, but it's mostly because the cult members have lots of sex and is lead by a foreigner. This become explicitly clear when it's revealed at the end when it's revealed that a christian organisation bought the cult's property and one of the participants in the doc admits that it's basically a cult as well but since it's christian and teaches abstinence he doesn't have a problem with it.