Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

Hey guys, I like extreme and scary sports. I've watched my fill of mountain climbing documentaries (Everest and K2 are so cool!), and now I'm interested in learning about people spelunking in crazy places and deep sea divers. Any recommendations?

Watch Meru if you haven't its probably one of the best about mountain climbing and it also shows how much it means personally to everyone involved. You see what's at stake for each of the climbers be it promises to fallen friends or just proving yourself as a young rookie. It's considered one of the hardest peaks in the Himalayas. The documentary shows two expeditions by the same group. How they fail the first time and how they deal with failure, personal issues, accidents but they come back together to try another attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just watched The Salt of the Earth and its really something. Its about a well known Brazilian photographer Sebastiao Salgado who is a social photographer. He has been to the largest disasters/events of the last few decades such as the Ethiopian famine in the 80s, Rwanda Genocide, War in Yugoslavia and a few others.

Its not a typical documentary since a lot of it is just photos and narration by the photographer but it tells the history behind the pictures. But the pictures are so good they are better than any video and some of the pictures are really hard to look at.

There is video footage in there too but its mostly about the pictures he took and the places he went. Toward the end he kinda becomes a misanthrope and switches from a social photographer to a natural/wildlife photographer.

Really recommend the documentary to anyone who is interested in not only photography but also seeing these human caused disasters closer than ever before.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone interested in cycling or sport scandals watch Stopping at Nothing The Lance Armstrong Story. Shows what kinda of lying sociopath Lance Armstrong is and how he coerced people into becoming dopers like himself. How they took millions of taxpayers money to create the perfect system to dope, they had doctors, masseuses and even random people during the race doping them. One thing I will say about the man is that he was definitely driven. Great story of an icon, world champion, beats cancer, becomes champion again and creates a foundation for Cancer patients. Truly an American hero to villain story.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

I won't say it wasn't huge, but, a 20-years-later documentary to catch up with the dancers of a single tour? It just seems odd for a documentary topic.

Man at this point I wonder what there isn't a documentary for. I have watched some many documentary about odd topics or topics nobody would think are interesting. Also with youtube and film making being easier than ever you also have a bunch of web documentaries on youtube/vimeo.