Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Any suggestions for some True Crime documentaries? I've seen Dear Zachary, Capturing the Friedmans, There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane, and Thin Blue Line. I'd love some stories about really twisty, turney crimes and the trials around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

That, but also twists and turns. Staircase is a good choice. I guess the HBO crime documentary feel was what I was looking for

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How about all three Paradise Lost movies?

I've seen the first, I'm not really interested in 2 or 3 as I've heard they have a real bad habit of the documentarians trying really hard to make themselves part of the story. 2 in particular I've heard is basically "Well we're not SAYING this guy did it, but he sure looks and sounds crazy huh?"

The Cheshire Murders one was really great.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
For those who have seen that Thought Crimes documentary HBO did this week on the Cannibal Cop case, what are your thoughts on it? I found it really interesting but it annoyed me when it tried to be funny by having long chat logs of what he wanted to do and then cut to him cooking bacon or something.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What's the general thread opinion on Capturing the Friedmans? I watched it earlier today and thought it was really interesting and thought provoking, but then unfortunately it turns out the director left out a few huge key points that seemed to hurt the general tone of his film/his opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really liked Cannibal Cop, but the director tries way too hard to be cute at times by showing him cooking and eating food. Like, we loving got the joke the first time.

Finders Keepers seems like it would a really absurd comedy documentary about an insane case involving custody of a mummified foot, but it's actually just a look at two people who are struggling with their own deep issues in their own ways.

John is pretty easy to sympathize with, for good reason, (it is his leg) but he still does idiotic poo poo (bringing his drug dealer instead of his own sister to an interview in Germany is uh....pretty insane) and him helping to turn the whole incident into a national laughingstock helped to crack his family apart, but by the end he sobers up, gets right with his family and is in a much better place from where he started.

Shannon's a dickhead but he's still a tragic figure. He's obsessed with fame, probably the saddest moment in the movie isn't about the foot at all. It's Shannon's sad wife saying that they're divorcing over Shannon's misery and need for national attention and Shannon chiming in that he'd only ever be happy if he's on TV every single day making people laugh. The ending showing him campaigning to be president isn't funny, it's depressing to see a man scramble for any little tiny shred of attention he can get.

I think my favorite line of the movie was John's sister saying (not an exact quote) "I'd like to thank Shannon, because by being as big of a douche as he was, he helped push my brother to be a better man."