Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

tolko zhaesh, poshli ikh na X
ne umru ya, moi drug, nikogda!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w8zME-uDtw

Vory v zakone/Thieves in Law, mostly a collection of interviews with some Russian mafiosos. Presents a sort of vague idea of the forces driving the growth of Russian organized crime during and following the fall of of the Soviet Union.

Undead Unicorn posted:

just saw Thia Is My House. Holy crap was that depressing.

The House I Live In?

CMYK BLYAT! fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't get what you're objecting to, there. The prosecution of the war on drugs is disproportionately targeted toward urban minorities, which in turn feeds the for-profit prison industry, which experienced record growth over the past 20 years.

There is maybe a bit more to it: standard moral panic and disinformation on the part of the media, the desire of existing government agencies for self-preservation, and the arms race on both sides, etc. Caveat: I haven't actually watched it yet, so it may actually include these things, but if it doesn't they're things I'd want covered.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

The American Experience on Oppenheimer is pretty good and available on Hulu.

Trinity and Beyond wore on me a bit after the 15th or so EXPLOSION AND DRAMATIC MUSIC bit.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

Didn't Michael Moore's Sicko get something done about medical insurances or something? It's been years since I saw that but I do distinctly remember him taking sick people to Cuba or something to get medical care.

And on that note Bowling for Columbine got K-Mart to stop selling ammunition.

Yeah, now we have the public optio--oh right.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Does anyone know anything about Adam Curtis' Everything is Going According to Plan? I can't seem to find anything about it beyond the initial festival presentation. Is it planned to be released as a standalone film at all?

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

This American Life did a number of episodes on the financial crisis, though they're radio stories and not films:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/355/the-giant-pool-of-money
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/365/another-frightening-show-about-the-economy
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/375/bad-bank
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/377/scenes-from-a-recession
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/382/the-watchmen
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/390/return-to-the-giant-pool-of-money
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/418/toxie?act=0

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Lethemonster posted:

I would like as many recommendations as can be made on the following topics: mental health disorders, depression, the brain in general, neuroscience, how we think, emotional systems, therapies, anything near those areas.

I'm watching a few a day but most end up being a bit samey or preachy and don't end up saying much on their topic. I really like BBC documentaries but they don't have many in the areas I'm interested in that I can find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJIMC9d9l2o&hd=1 maybe, it's by the BBC and about neuroscience.

Adam Curtis' films as well, though that's trending more towards social science and while they have plenty to say, are anything but objective.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

The Man From Earth was right!

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA6u9jUKyN8

The only proper report on it.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Allyn posted:

Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man isn't about that, but does discuss and show it extensively. Might be of interest (also it's excellent)

Similarly, Happy People, by the same.

Anyone know if Adam Curtis' Everything Is Going According to Plan is ever going to be released in any sort of non-live fashion? I would love to see it, but the chances of it ever being performed anywhere near Minneapolis are fairly low, I'd imagine.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

outlier posted:

Watched - or tried to watch - Leviathan, the recent acclaimed documentary about the sea.

It's incredibly numbing. Five minutes filming a murky indistinct sea in the dark, no idea what was happening. Then we stick a camera in a tank of dying fish and let them wash backwards and forth across the lens. Oh look, that fish is alive. Wait, not any more. Keep filming. Now lets focus on scraps of gutted fish rolling across the deck. Yup. Look at that dead fish. Yup.

I guess it succeeded in communicating the scope and alien nature of the sea, but it was just deadening. Has anyone watched this all the way through?

I read the first line of this post shortly after watching the more recent movie of the same name and was really confused.

Nice Shirt posted:

Someone I know mentioned that he wants to see a documentary about psychedelics, does that topic have any go-to movies? Preferably one that doesn't focus entirely on the hippie movement, though whatevs is fine, really.

Enter the Void, effectively.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

New Adam Curtis thing, Bitter Lake, was good. I assume this will be DMCAed almost immediately, but for anyone not in iPlayer land, try your luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1DkiyLH1dc

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Any suggestions for organized crime documentaries? Mafia/Russian organized crime/cocaine era gangs/whatever. I remember there being a couple Russian organized crime/prison gangs documentaries that were well received a few years ago, but I can't remember any of their names.

The Mark of Cain

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

Anyone here see Red Army? Saw it and Leviathan as a double feature.

The ending to this was the perfect summary of that entire interview.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I had no luck using Search to find this doc anywhere in the thread (or on the forums at all), but considering the popularity of the previous documentary on the same subject by the director I'd bet I just hosed up somewhere. I figured I'd play it safe though and possibly beat the dead horse, given how much I enjoyed this one. From the director of The Union:

The Culture High
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHHABptIuIs

I hope this is beating the dead horse at this point, which would mean attitudes are shifting, but if anyone here would like some of the hosed up back story of the corruption and manipulation involved in drug prohibition and how it is bad for all aspects of society, give this doc a view. You can get it on DVD or buy it to stream online. In my opinion the trailer fails to capture one of the real subjects of the film: The dangerous hypocrisy of the government, and how the War on Drugs is a conscious plan to circumvent the liberties of the average citizen. This sounds :tinfoil: as gently caress but it's sadly more real than I thought.

I agree with the ideas in general but I don't think it's a particularly good documentary overall.

It seems like they just hashed together a bunch of interview footage/news clips of politicians and bureaucrats saying things/B roll of weed and random cityscapes shot in high FPS with nice equipment at wide apertures with shifting focus to add a veneer of pretty images. Throw in some decent color grading and whatever you call that particular style of piano music used to underscore that this is about some sort of important social issue that we need to address, then ship a final product without much regard for structure or pacing. The House I Live In already did the same thing and did a better job.

Edit: also anything unironically presenting clips from RT as legitimate media loses points--major players in western mass media aren't without fault, but lol if the best you can come up with in contrast to that is RT.

CMYK BLYAT! fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 30, 2015

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I don't know, I don't feel that way at all. I studied enough Sociology and social problems in college to have a minor, which I know isn't much, but it also gave me an appetite for keeping fairly up-to-date with this kind of stuff, and even then I didn't know a good amount of the information that was presented in the documentary. I knew that cannabis prohibition is a very recent and unique phenomenon in all of human history, but I didn't know that it was the main driver for the entirety of the War on Drugs, and that it is the main reason it continues to this day. I also didn't know that the government is giving out patents for medicinal uses of cannabis, because I figured them considering it a Class A substance would preclude that.

Maybe that other documentary you mentioned covers that and more, but this at least doesn't seem like canned, obvious information to me.

That's it, essentially. It's not lacking in information,and it's not presenting information that is contradicted by or ignored by mainstream sources, but The House I Live In makes better use of its medium is more cohesive argument against the drug war.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

The Bramble posted:

Went to go see an after-midnight showing of The Nightmare, a horror-documentary on Sleep Paralysis, last night. It was a pretty great horror experience, though a poor documentary, as nothing was ever really explained by experts, and we just had the interviewees explanations for their experience to go off of. But their descriptions and the filmmakers re-enactments of their nightmares is pretty disturbing, nonetheless. The documentary air of the whole thing lends it some creepy credence, and I think a lot of people left the theater worried it could happen to them. A couple jump scares are thrown in for good measure, but a lot of the stories and scenarios depicted in the movie touched a few things in my subconscious I had forgotten about - childhood fears and such. I'd recommend seeing this alone and at night!

I was fine with the lack of expert explanations--they'd make sense for a science TV show/talk but not something I'd watch as a feature film. I figure it'd be mostly talking heads entirely, as trying to visually show "here is what neurons are doing" is hard and much less interesting than shadow monsters.

I experience sleep paralysis myself and have already read over the scientific explanations, and The Nightmare does justice to the subjective experience that the science doesn't. Knowing what's happening neurologically doesn't really matter when it actually happens; your brain is still going to do crazy terrifying poo poo to try and make sense of what's going on.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Hypernormalization definitely presented a far less a cohesive narrative than Bitter Lake. It seemed like a kind of rushed out the door attempt to touch on a bunch of current events at once with a Curtis film, which isn't really doable. Curtis' style only really works when covering multiple decades in detail, starting at the beginning. Hypernormalization seems like it tries to start from the present and work backward, and ends up never really leaving the present as a result. The past is there, but the story is stuck in the present poking back into the past, rather than starting in the past and building into the present.

I'd love to see a straight up adaptation of Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More into multimedia without any attempt to tie in current events, but can't really imagine that attracting any significant audience.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Gimme Danger verdict: I'm too young to have properly grown up in the era of Iggy Pop, and while an overall well done music/band documentary, it doesn't really resonate unless you were already a big Stooges fan. I have only a cursory familiarity/interest in their music, though I do like it. Echoing sentiments said elsewhere, I wish it had actually covered what happend when Iggy went solo/what he was doing during that time--it seems like they just left a big void of "well there was this band and it did some stuff for a while," SOMETHING, hey! suddenly a reunion concert/hall of fame induction from nowhere!

People that were (presumably) big Iggy/Stooges fans in the audience loving loved it though.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

This series is great and I'm sad that there will probably never be something of equivalent quality for the periods of history that I'm most interested in.

Eh, maybe in 2030-something the local media landscape will have changed and we'll get a decent documentary on the 90s in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Asnorban posted:

Trent should have made 18 hours of new music for this. I demand nothing less.

I think this is his most complete score. I've liked the others but they often felt like fragments of songs rather than complete pieces, these songs all feel fleshed out and finished. I'm also pretty interested in seeing how songs sync up and work with different visuals, so re-contextualizing older pieces is good.

Wait, is this actually an original score? I thought it was just Ghosts I-IV added to video.

Not that this is strictly a bad thing: Ghosts I-IV is an album that doesn't really stand on its own despite having a lot of tracks that work very well as background/mood music, but I didn't notice much that was new material.