Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

I watched Jodorowsky's Dune this weekend and it was amazing, does anyone know of other similar documentaries about films that were never completed such as this one and Lost in La Mancha (which was also great)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Tailored Sauce posted:

To contribute, there is this pizza restaurant in Jersey City, NJ that makes an amazing bread & butter:
https://vimeo.com/100214939
Jersey City represent!

I swear, I was born and raised in Jersey city and almost as soon as I moved away they open up a Barcade, German Beer halls, and tons of artisanal restaurants.

Oh, and speaking of documentaries and Jersey City.
http://www.wfmuthemovie.com/

WFMU also opened up a music venue after I moved.

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 8, 2015

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I mean, I like his work and I think he's semi-interesting but it was kinda weird that someone made a whole documentary about Dan Harmon.
It more about his podcast and the "cult" that surrounds it.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Just say a Documentary on The Amityville Horror, basically debunking the story. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any other documentaries about supernatural phenomenon that take a skeptical point of view?
Too many of them seem to take everything at face value and are built mostly on sketchy testimony.
By the way I watched "What Happened, Nina Simone" on Netflix it was Okay.
Kinda like "Montage of Heck", the footage is great but the story it told from too many unreliable sources.

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 1, 2015

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

SamLikesCake posted:

What's it called? I really wanna check that out!

Real Close Encounters sounds like your usual History Channel woo-woo aliens show, but it actually does have a more skeptical slant. As the title suggests, it's about the alien abduction phenomenon. I saw this on Discovery or TLC or something back in the mid-90's and it scared the gently caress out of me. Stupid Grays. :ohdear:

The whole thing is on YouTube if that's what you're after.

It was just okay and only 46 minutes but it's called The Real Story: Amnityville Horror. It's on Netflix.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Watching "Tales of the Grim Sleeper", really good! I can't even explain it.
Jesus, the interviews with the survivors!

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 19, 2015

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

I just finished the Hellraiser documentary, Leviathan. It's not very good. There is a laaaaarge amount of time dedicated towards patting Clive Barker on the back, and it takes about a full hour to actually get to the part where they start talking about the production of the film. As far as four hour long "making of" documentaries go, it's nowhere near as good as Never Sleep Again (coincidentally, Leviathan has a ton of weird Nightmare lambasting).

EDIT: Holy poo poo, Never Sleep Again is a whole half hour shorter and covers five more movies.

In honor of Wes Craven I'm watching Never Sleep Again, Whoah boy the second movie! I only realized now it's the one movie I've never seen out of the series.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

If you think the Freddy's Revenge segment is amazing, just wait until you get to Renny Harlin opening his big dumb Finnish mouth.

LOL, just got to that. Basically he was hired so that he would take a shower, I love Hollywood hyperbole.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

This is in poor taste but I want to watch documentaries on 9/ 11 mostly conspiracy ones or movies about people who pretended they were at ground zero. I'm having trouble finding the non you tube ones.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Watching American Meth from 2008 already seems dated, what is a new, good, documentary on meth?

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

SpitztheGreat posted:

=There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane
The bottle of Vodka was found in the van so I assumed she drank straight from the bottle while driving to kill the pain, and because she was in so much pain she drank much more then she intended to in a short amount of time.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Night terrors are the worst, Normally I just feel paralyzed but once a year I have one where I can't breath for about 30 seconds or so as well.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Watching "This May be the Last Time" on Netflix, 4 minutes in and I'm on the edge of tears.

quote:

The film narrates that when in 1962 Pete Harjo, the director's grandfather, mysteriously went missing after his car crashed on a rural bridge in Sasakwa, Oklahoma, members of his Seminole and Muscogee community searched for him while singing songs of faith and hope that had been passed on for generations, with roots in both Scottish hymn lining and African American music.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Call me Lucky will be on Netflix on the 13th, I've been waiting to see this one.
A movie by Bobcat Goldthwait about his comedy mentor and children's rights advocate Barry Crimmins.

And Best of Enemies on the 28th
Best of Enemies (2015)
Two of the greatest political and intellectual minds of their day — William F. Buckley Jr. and Gore Vidal — went head to head in a series of inflammatory, wildly entertaining TV debates that make the GOP circuses we’ve seen this year look tame. (And even less substantive.)

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Has anyone seen The Smiley Face Killers? Watched it on YouTube last night.

I watched the whole thing and didn't figure out it was fake until the very end. I guess in that sense the filmmaker did his job. Instead of feeling angry for being duped I'm actually glad I went in blind and fell for it, because the ending actually had me sitting there saying OH MY GOD.

I think I figured it out at minute one from the poorly dubbed news footage and the fact that the first 40 seconds set up that all the deaths were ruled as accidents then all the news footage immediately said that they were committed by the smily face killers gang.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Where is it available? It looks fantastic.

djwetmouse posted:

Call me Lucky will be on Netflix on the 13th, I've been waiting to see this one.
A movie by Bobcat Goldthwait about his comedy mentor and children's rights advocate Barry Crimmins.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

I can't find anything online about a movie called Room 321, you don't mean Room 237 because that is a good movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Room 237 is both not a bad movie as well as one of my favorite documentaries ever made.
:hfive:

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Sleepstupid posted:

Watched this last night, it was really good although prob because I have young children it was really hard to watch in some parts :smith:

I did have one question about the "you-know-what" When he first talks about the rape, he says it was the babysitter's friend, but later on he's talking about the priest guy. Was it the same guy? Or were there multiple perpetrators?
two different men, the priest talk was just to set up his, rightful, antagonism with the Catholic church. As he said the man who raped him eventually went to prison, a Catholic priest would get off Scott free.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Not great but interesting on HULU, Skull World (2013) Follows two years in the life of Greg Sommer, aka Skull Man, as he builds the Canadian chapter of Box Wars, an international underground movement of cardboard-based combat.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Sound and Chaos: The Story of BC Studios, is on Hulu.
Really nice documentary of the Brooklyn music studio that produced a lot of early Hip-hop and No wave as well as Pop.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Does it tell you about how he doused his cat in gasoline and threw it into a bonfire?

Actually it does.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That would be 9/11/01. 102 Minutes That Changed America is very similar but has annoying non-diegetic "thriller" music.

I am now imagining a 9/11 documentary which has Michael Jackson's "Thriller" as it's background music.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Ok I watched "The History of Maths" and "The Code" and I need more documentaries about math, I need them!

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Watched "Drunk, Stoned, Brilliant, Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon" felt like a kid again trying to sneak a peak of the magazine for the occasional bare breasts. Interesting who's who of comedy but seemed to scratch the surface in some ways.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

Does anyone have any good recommends for movies featuring some good material on women in hip hop?

No personal experience (just don't have time to watch all the Documentaries in my que) but there is
THE REVIVAL
B-Girl Be: A Celebration of Women in Hip Hop
MC Lyte: Lyte Years
Miss MC: Women in Rap
My Mic Sounds Nice: A Truth About Women in Hip Hop
Nobody Knows My Name
Say My Name
Sisters in the Name of Rap

Where to watch them might be more difficult.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Slenderman Documentary, just not feeling it.
Parents tell your kids about any Medical/Mental conditions that might be inherited!

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 24, 2017

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

cstang posted:

Anyone that's into documentaries about eccentric people should really check out "Curse Of The Man That Sees UFOs". It's streaming on Netflix.

I just got as far as the title screen and it's already too depressing too watch, please tell me it is worth it.

EDIT:
Ok it is!!!

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 2, 2017

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Also, I watched Tickled the other night on HBO and wow. Just wow. There's also a 20 minute follow-up on it about everything that has happened since the movie was released including the subject of the doc showing up at one of the early screenings.

I forgot it was on HBO now, god the internet is creepy and horrible.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

precision posted:

One More Time With Feeling, an excellent doc on the making of the new Nick Cave album, is on Prime.
Good to know, still have to watch Gimme Danger by Jarmusch.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

Mommie Dead and Dearest. Holy crap what an amazing doc. On HBO? soon?

TLDR:
- Crazy mom makes her kid (ever since infancy) pretend to be sick with MS, Cancer, kid gets feeding tube surgery, lots of other surgeries.
- Kid has had enough, convinces her freaky BF to kill her mom
- Kid and BF goes to prison.

I'm almost 100% certain that the Freaky Boyfriend is touching himself during his police interview.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

So, back to the Keepers.

I'm taking a break after the second episode, it was too much to take.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Interesting 4 part thing on Netflix now called "Evil Genius." Don't know how long it's been on there, but I recently stumbled across it.

I hope it's better than the comedy made about that story, "30 Minutes or Less."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

precision posted:

New season of The Toys That Made Us is up. This season they go into a lot better detail (and the episodes are longer). The one on Hello Kitty is pretty interesting, and the one on Transformers is great.

This program is what the [skip intro] button was made for. I hope these episode are better than the first season, I want more interesting facts and anecdotes and less of the head up it's own rear end set pieces.

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 29, 2018