Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I see a bunch of cops in traffic holding their flip phones up to their ear. It's bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

big business sloth posted:

This is incredibly interesting and entertaining, even for being as old as it is.
I thought the same thing when I discovered it. How had I gone this long without ever someone shoving this in front of me and going "please pay attention, for the love of god this stuff is worth learning." For some reason I fall asleep when Sagan talks, but James Burke has me :allears:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There was a documentary about skunkworks, where they explain the history of the name and the program inside Lockheed, but I can't remember the name. Does anyone know good skunkworks docus?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm already late to the bitter lake proselytization, but it was good. I caught wind of it during Charlier Brookers Year Wipe 2014 and set it on my caledar to make sure I found it the day it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXcpDO8_3qU

mod sassinator posted:

The west really hosed up the Middle East. :sigh:
I saw it differently: the west thought they could "tame" the middle east and the middle east took what they wanted and booted them the gently caress out. They've seemed to chew the west up and spit them back out.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The description of the Soviet assassination attempts and their conclusion were also darkly funny.

It is a depressing but engrossing work and as wonderfully informative as his previous documentaries.
Sniper, poison the pepsi, poison a whole bunch of people at dinner. gently caress they got a doctor, JUST THROW A loving GRENADE IN AND SHOOT EVERYONE WE AREN'T loving AROUND ANYMORE THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO WORK.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There was a great documentary that I watched that told the history of ICBMs and space rockets. I cant find it anymore, and there are a ton of documentaries getting in the way of my search.

What I remember is that it didn't have any lame re-enactments, it was all facts and history and science. It moved rather quickly. And didn't have a lame narrator.

The most important thing I remember from it was that it went from ballistics for early guns (muskets and earlier) and then to rockets. It talked about rifling in weapons and stuff. IT was the first time I understood what ballistics meant because of this way that it conveyed the information. Misses and bullets are just riding in front of an explosion.

If any of you could help me find the docu it'd be greatly appreciated.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ozz81 posted:

Was it a recent doc or an older one? Any idea roughly how long it was? I ask because I did a quick search and found something similar to your description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u157zSQTbg

Not sure it counts as "documentary" being just under 30 minutes but it was pretty informative
I kept running into these too, with "1959" or "1960" or something from that era, and it's not them. It's more modern. It's none from the ATT vault either.

Maybe I should just load up a 16 hr playlist of ICBM videos and go through them until I find it.

Thanks for helping though!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

iSheep posted:

The segments with the US minutemen border patrol guy almost felt completely unnecessary.
For juxtaposition!

I liked it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It was loving wierd and that fat guy needs help but in the end :unsmith:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Man, Tickled is eeeeeverything I wanted that naff Catfish movie to be. Absolutely bonkers from word go, tense as hell in places, and leaves you wanting to know what (if anything) happens next a la The Jinx.

Oh my god I forgot about this. I thought it was a parody when I first saw the trailer but as it dawned on me that it was real I became more engrossed.

Its like something adult swim would make

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

this and lo and behold was a great double feature

watch this one first, the 2600 one

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bitter Lake had no narrative, it was mostly empty space and I thought more confusing than Hyper Normalization. Imo

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I was a bit surprised that this movie was already available to watch. When you said "tangent", I figured you just meant that Herzog started talking about North Korea for a little while, similar to how he started going on about black magic or whatever in Encounters at the End of the World.

No no, it turns out Herzog straight up went to North Korea and filmed there. :stare:

Yea.... that was... well he didnt ask too many questions that he shouldnt

Watch red chapel btw, if you want someone who asks questions like you tought herzog would in nk

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

North Korea is one of the worst written but most compelling stage-play I've ever glimpsed.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is it available somewhere that's an official release? I want to watch it

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Finished tickled sand it was good. Climax and ending was good.

precision posted:

There's got to be a lot of information left out of Tickled because the speed and way that it escalates seems really strange. At no point does the reporter ever ask anyone "Are you really trying to destroy my life because of tickling videos?"

So it's not surprising there's a ton of stuff they couldn't use.
Yea probably, because as the movie shows, he never gets enough time to

This movie struck me as "The Jinx, except with a non lethal fetish"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I watched HyperNormalisation today. It felt a bit like I was watching a conspiracy documentary, just one much less extreme and silly. I'm going to give it another watch some time this week.

Yes, and also all the rest of his catalog.

I especailly liked the UFO section lol.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I was a kid back then, but even then I remember people saying that ufo's are just a govt cover story for top secret air weapons.

Way more mundane than I had hoped :smith:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Vietnam PBS docu is this for 18 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OySmfR74RUU

Whcih, i feel conflicted about when the narration picks up about an ambush, and the soundtrack kicks in and all of a sudden I'm excited. im exctied in that way I get when I consume good media, disconnected from the consequences

But i guess thats how its always been. That nin video had all the same components, just that i spent less time in it and had a little bit more abstraction from the stories. Life, procreation, survival, war, the MIC, boner pills, Oil, consumption, proliferation - a quick reflection of our society set to a gripping and reflective soundtrack

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDaOgu2CQtI

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Whoa, all the NVA footage is in black and white. USA footage is in color. Wierd intersection about technology send story telling device there.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Wait, is this actually an original score? I thought it was just Ghosts I-IV added to video.

Not that this is strictly a bad thing: Ghosts I-IV is an album that doesn't really stand on its own despite having a lot of tracks that work very well as background/mood music, but I didn't notice much that was new material.

There's a certain nin guitar phrase, in a eukelele, that I swear I heard on one of the halo remixes between downward spiral and the fragile, but I can't find it and I've taken to relistening to the whole catalog including ghosts

Ghosts was basically made for pbs/free use/mit open source license. Listen to it and you realize it's an open source project

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jehde posted:

It seems like some of it is original (the more ambient stuff) but most of it is rehashed NIN material. On one end it feels weird recognizing the music, but on the other end: It fits.

It's like the culmination of what nin was doing. Political, viseral, unturning, audio and visual.

It's kind of nice to see the realization of a career like this. Same with the nin Adam Curtis crossover

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

precision posted:

Let's just all try and forget Trent's collaboration album Niggy Tardust. God that was bad.

Lol makes this more funny
https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/evden7/trent-reznor-doesnt-get-drake

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cloudchamber posted:

Thing they kept using I think was the bit at the start of this track on Ghosts. No idea if that's what you're thinking of but here it is anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASFFsXL2Iqg

Yepppppp!!!! Mystery solved. Thank you very much for that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Herv posted:

My last two documentaries were Vietnam and Dark States.

Can anyone please suggest something kind of upbeat like Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends?

yea I started Dark States and abruptly turned around (Huntington isn't that far from me, I'm in Cleveland and am from Youngstown. BBC did a similiar heroin doc in a suburb around here earlier this year.)

I found Kelsey Grammers "Down Periscope" to watch intead

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dark states - in which louix smells heroin, but doesn't inhale

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Just found out about "Room Full of Spoons" in the wake of the new trailer for Disaster Arist which I probably won't be able to find anywhere anytime soon

I don't know if ive made it all the way thru the room but god drat do I appreciate it and does james franco's characterization look amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPSJYXi7BWA

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Re-upload with extra episodes I believe.

Ohhhhh thats why it said 3 new episodes. I thought the whole thing was new, an just sat archived for years.

Yea that docu is a loving ride and I was hit with a lot of defeat last night around episode 11

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Some dark rear end jokes were being had around epsiode 8/9

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Honestly, I think the judge was the worst of them all of all. He just silently watches it all unfolds and then later non-nonchalantly admits how hosed up it was and that he might have ruined a man's life over nothing.

Yea that is super hosed up.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wtf is this theory

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

precision posted:

It's on Youtube, the gist of it is that the wounds on her scalp look EXACTLY like owl raptor talons, they live in a place where Bard Owls attack humans without provocation, she had microfeathers and twigs in the hair she pulled out of her scalp, and Bard Owls are the only owls that even have microfeathers that go down to their talons. The wounds, extreme amount of blood, and so forth are consistent with someone attacked by an owl that got tangled in her hair and, because she was drunk and on Valium, it was made worse by her falling and hitting her body all over the steps.
Omg lol why did they take that out of the Netflix upload? Did it ever run at trial?

They strike me as the kind of people that would leave their back door open, for the dogs mostly and because who cares no one is going to walk in through the backyard.

Makes me think about why it's important to keep your screen door closed and probably not even have a doggie door in places like Florida

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You get to see a very specific former Metallica guitarist cry in it too

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The netflix one seems better since it just points out every gently caress up in operations that happened. gently caress jerry didn't get a pass in my opinion, but they didn't go full on hard at the.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I stopped about a third of the way into abducted when I realized how stupid the father AND the mother were. They're victims too, but holy poo poo people how are you down for this?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Hey so I made a doc that aired last week. It's about how my home state of New Mexico blew up its own mental healthcare system by falsely accusing a bunch of companies of fraud and shutting them down without due process. It's part poor-man's Errol Morris procedural and part poor-man's Streetwise.

It's called The Shake-Up and NMPBS is streaming it here: https://portal.knme.org/video/the-shake-up-gekpbo/

Yea 6 minutes in and knew I was parked

15 in and out get hit with the familiar phrase "answers to shareholders"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MrBling posted:

Just want to say that the Apollo 11 documentary is extremely good. I watched the IMAX version and it really drove home how huge everything was.

I watched it on this huge dome screen in a planetarium where the seating is very steep, so an early shot panning down the rocket made it feel like I was going to tip out of chair.

i did the same, its the "first steps" version
yes go do it if you can!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Definitely watch it at home. I watched it before I went to the ominmax/dome at the science center. One thing that kinda threw me off for a minute though is that it was somewhat blurry, like it wasn't well suited for the medium compared to my home TV. But that was minor compared to the ability to watch the science thing at the science center, in a theater with other people!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The Michelle carter documentary on hbo is loving insane

Ugh I’m so conflicted
drat what's her username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shout out to the gumshoe who watched hours and seasons of glee to put the last act narrative together