Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Basebf555 posted:

I'm seriously thinking about vegetarianism after watching it, and I'm not at all kidding.

As powerful and great as the documentary is, this makes no sense as cows and chickens don't have culture, familial bonds, or anything even remotely resembling mammalian intelligence.

a lovely poster posted:

The real shame is how many people who are normally not political/activist get enraged by films like these. Don't get me wrong, it's horrific, but it's an animal. The volume of human suffering that goes on this world is so much greater than what was in that movie, it's a shame that humans have such a hard time empathizing with each other, but somehow are able to do so with animals.

"But they're like people", what do you think people get treated like in this world?

If you had someone watch Worse Than War (which if it isn't still, was on Netflix) they'd probably have just the same or an even stronger reaction than watching Blackfish I'd think.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Worse Than War ends with actual footage of Bosniak men being massacred by Serbs.

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

However, I do not have the same kind of attachment to people issues that I do to animal issues. It has just been my way since I was a kid. I didn't like war movies where the horses were killed when the whole movie was filled with people dying.

You're certainly not alone in this mindset but I've never understood it. I kinda find it disgusting but it's not like anyone who thinks this way can help it.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 21, 2013

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

NeilPerry posted:

The distinction you've made for yourself is purely imaginary.

No it isn't. Dolphins and orcas probably have a sense of self. A cow or chicken does not.

It's as imaginary as saying stomping on a spider is far less abhorrent than stomping on a dog (not imaginary at all).

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the thread has since turned into "baby's first internet animal rights argument" so I may have to reassess my position.

:smuggo:

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 21, 2013

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

NeilPerry posted:

I don't know, going vegan, stop buying foxconn products, checking where your clothes are being made are all very easy drastic things to do and go a long way. And it's not like people aren't inclined to do those things, they just feel like it's too difficult(it isn't) and are constantly being pressured by society to be apathetic about these things.

One of these things is not like the others.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

NeilPerry posted:

I can only imagine you're talking about veganism and I'd have to say you're exactly the reason why people who watch Earthlings, etc and feel deeply that they don't want to contribute to the industry anymore end up doing it again because it's somehow less socially acceptable to stand up for what you believe than it is to not care about suffering. And again, it's not a zero sum game. Caring about animal rights does not mean you don't care about human rights, and essentially animal rights ARE human rights(for the industry's contribution to global warming, its overuse of antibiotics, etc).

You are aware Earthlings is a documentary of extreme examples and not how those things are normally carried out?

The movie affected me pretty hard but then I went out and did my research and it wasn't gonna make me stop eating meat anyway because I need my protein to grow muscles. Plus you can get meat other ways than factory farms.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

BonoMan posted:

Felt like a giant advertisement for DOTA and e-sports to be honest.

My main complaint about it was it's barely about Dota.

Also seems like video game pros need dead parents. In I Got Next or whatever three of the more famous fighting game dudes got dead moms.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

You don't really know what you're talking about if you can say that.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Room 237 is one of the most insane things you'll probably ever watch.

appleskates posted:

This one is about a guy who proposed to his girlfriend on a kiss-cam and she turned him down because he has a small penis. So of course, he made a documentary about penis size and tried to find out 1) if his was really THAT small and 2) if so, what can be done about it. It was obviously pretty silly, but enjoyable.

I'm confused as to why she would be with him at all if his dick was too small for her.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

BiggerBoat posted:

edit: HBO true crime docs are the best. There was one really disturbing one I watched about Troy Kell who was in prison and became a white supremacist. The movie straight up shows Kell stabbing another inmate like 50 loving times. It made me sick to watch it.

Gladiator Days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Pumping Iron is incredible.