Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfDbTgb6uyc

ANTIFA - Chasseurs de skins
This is a pretty killer doc about French antifa skinheads in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

magnificent7 posted:

I loved it.

But, like with any great documentary, I always wonder how many things change as a result of documentaries?

Supersize Me for example. I remember hearing that McDonalds changed their practice after the movie came out, so that they'd only supersize the meal if the customer requested it... (but I notice they still offer it).

Can you think of any other significant changes as a result of a documentary? I don't mean a lawsuit settlement, but a complete overhaul of a system? The ratings system for instance - upon watching Not Yet Rated, I was positive the MPAA would overhaul everything they're doing, down to changing the ratings themselves. But nnnnnnope.

Give me some examples. What docs changed a fundamental value or law?

Well the Thin Blue Line actually saved that dude from getting executed for something he didn't do, which is about the biggest effect I think a movie could be expected to have.

And the ratings board actually changed a lot of poo poo after This Film Is Not Yet Rated came out so it's weird that's the one that makes you question whether documentaries actually have any effect. The fact that it didn't like singlehandedly erase the MPAA from existence is maybe a little too much to expect.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Werner Herzog documentaries are pretty good about not having too much of an agenda in my opinion. I think it's because he's always looking for the weird personal stories happening behind the scenes. For example Into The Abyss covers a pretty political issue without the heavy handedness of Michael Moore-style documentaries. Herzog just focuses on interviewing a man who's about to die, and its effect on him and his family.

I absolutely agree with this in broad strokes, that Herzog's docs are very "truthful" but he also openly admits to completely fabricating tons of things in those films to get to emotional or philosophical truths or whatever rather than literal factual truths. So sort of not a good answer to the question possibly. Not Into the Abyss in particular but the dude is famous for fabricating stuff, like all the OCD poo poo Dieter does in Little Dieter Needs to Fly. I'm sort of coming in late to the conversation and I know nobody here is really super strict about literal factuality, certainly I'm not, just thought it's worth clearing up.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Burden of Dreams, the making of Werner Herzog's film Fitzcarraldo is great.

This is the greatest. Highly recommended for anyone interested in making-of stuff or life in general.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
It's weird that torturing and abusing animals is universally considered to be a sign that a kid is gonna grow up to be a serial killer, but torturing and abusing animals as an adult is no big deal because bad stuff happen to humans in the world so it's useless to waste empathy on other living things.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

It depends on the culture. Western cultures don't like the torturing of animals, especially in public. A kid who ignores this cultural more might have a problem.

I'm pretty sure getting thrills from sadistically torturing a living thing is not a culturally-dependent sign of mental illness but a pretty universal one. This isn't exactly a question of what animals are okay to kill and eat or whatever, not enjoying causing undue pain to a thing that feels pain is a basic sign that you possess empathy. It has nothing to do with culture, except for the fact that certain idiots in our culture selectively choose which things to feel empathy about and then try to justify it rationally by playing oppression olympics with people vs animals.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

In 16th-century England, torturing animals was a favorite form of public entertainment. Bull-baiting was a sport where a bull was set upon by dogs for the pleasure of a crowd. It was so popular that there was in fact a law that forbade people from killing bulls unless it had been baited first, so as not to waste opportunities for entertainment. Another show involves stuffing a cat into a bag and then setting the bag of fire. The crowd would howl in laughter at the cat's shrieks of agony.

16th Century England: A healthy, compassionate culture, known for its fostering of empathy.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
What were they trying to accomplish with that Beatles movie? Just using free stock footage with guaranteed moneymaker soundtrack to make a quick buck or is it actually intended to like make some commentary or something? I haven't watched it so I'm curious about the story behind it.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
I guess that's about what I thought. Pretty hilarious. It reminds me of that Elvis album that's nothing but stage banter for some reason.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

discoukulele posted:

Hey thread! Does anyone have any recommendations for documentaries about bizarre/interesting subcultures? Those are always my favorite.

Have you watched all the Weird Weekends?

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
I think I would be more likely to successfully watch Dear Zachary, Boy Interrupted, Just Melvin Just Evil, and every other ultimately depressing documentary in a row with no break than to get through the vicarious embarrassment of either the small dick doc or the brony one successfully.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

That drat Satyr posted:

Fracknation This one isn't Netflix, but it was funded via Kickstarter and you should really just watch it. Basically the author goes back to the things mentioned in "Gasland" and tries to get the true facts, and... well. Another one you really should just check out.
http://viooz.co/movies/24296-fracknation-2013.html

Made by global warming denialists, so... well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
You should watch it because it's an incredibly well-made film about a bizarre situation. Documentaries don't have to be about WORLD SHATTERING ISSUES OF THE DAY to be worth viewing. "Two old ladies with a weird relationship in a dilapidated mansion" is a fine subject for a film. Certainly a lot better than "I have a small dick," "I ruined my marriage because I have a fetish for cheating on my wife with prostitutes," "I have an agenda against environmentalists and people gave me money to make a movie about it," or whatever other bullshit.