Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

penismightier posted:

Even then, just by making the moose doc you're probably making some kind of eco-statement.

Documentaries are categorically the least "truthful" genre of filmmaking. They're often the most honest, but they are in and of themselves inherently an act of reductionism and selective point-of-view-generating editing.

Stella Bruzzi posted:

The key issue is that observational cinema has been mis-defined,
and has misdefined itself. Any documentary, including observational ones, testifies to
the absence rather than the presence of purity at its heart. Having presented itself as
the mode most capable of collapsing the difference between image and reality, of
best representing an unadulterated truth, direct cinema suffers particularly
harshly from such a realisation. If one strips the films of the theoretical baggage
they come burdened down by, they offer less stifling, more exciting possibilities.
Salesman and Meet Marlon Brando, or the political films Primary and Crisis, show the
notion of documentary purity to be deeply flawed, but this is not what makes them significant
and interesting. Rather, it is the suggestion that the dynamism of the documentary text is
predicated upon and created by the central dialectical relationship between content or unadulterated
truth and representation, not destroyed by it.

Even a fly-on-the-wall type of documentary like the Maysles brothers Salesman (1968) (which is awesome by the way) creates it's "truth" by editing events sometimes in a non chronological order to make the audience emotionally attached.

Are there any filmmakers today who believes they/try to create pure observational documentaries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Popelmon posted:

I just watched "Crips and Bloods: Made in America" (holy poo poo this is amazing! Everyone NEEDS to see this!) and I realized that I don't know much about the Black Power Movement (I'm a filthy European).

Are there any good documentaries about this?

The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 (2011)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXQxyYllXnM

It's a compilation and not a complete narrative for a complex period but I think it's pretty sweet.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Castomira posted:

A recent, favorite documentary of mine that I can watch over and over again is Honest Man: The Life of R. Budd Dwyer, which goes really heavily into the local political context and the series of events which ultimately led to the poor guy deciding to go out the way he did. (For those who don't know, he was a state treasurer who killed himself at a televised press conference after being indicted on bribery charges.)

The YouTube trailer is here, and it looks like you can watch it for free here, but keep in mind the movie includes the entire televised footage of his suicide, so if you're at all squeamish to that sort of thing you probably shouldn't watch it.

Looks interesting!

Sadly it seems the version you linked too is an edited cut. :gbsmith:

I will search for a full version, thanks for the recommendation!

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Fatty posted:

Lost In La Mancha and Audience of One are good documentaries about very ambitious movies that eventually never got made. The first mainly due to bad luck, the second due to batshit crazyness. Dont be put off by the subject matter of Audience of One, the original movie was meant to be a science fiction epic that rivaled Dune.

Oh, also American Movie is pretty good in the same vein, but not as epic.

L'enfer d'Henri-Georges Clouzot (2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QydnBIOwoFc

About Clouzot's unfinished film Inferno. I haven't seen it yet but I'm really looking forward to it, Clouzot made some absolutely awesome movies like Le corbeau (1943) and Les diaboliques (1955). Apparently he suffered a heart-attack during the shooting of this movie.

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 22, 2013

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Thank you for this. Just watched it and man, this one is an experience that will stay with you for sure. :japan: :anarchists:

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Any suggestions for some True Crime documentaries? I've seen Dear Zachary, Capturing the Friedmans, There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane, and Thin Blue Line. I'd love some stories about really twisty, turney crimes and the trials around them.
Twisty as in twisted and disturbing? Say hello to Just, Melvin: Just Evil.

EDIT oh, no trial in this one. It's great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY4eHaiVK9s

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 29, 2014

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Sweet! I remember seeing an animated short about Dock Ellis on youtube or whatever. This could be interesting.

EDIT https://vimeo.com/45983332

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

cloudchamber posted:

BBC 4 are broadcasting a documentary tomorrow night about the impact that the atomic age had on the world, which is composed entirely of stock footage. It's been put together by the guy who made The Story of Film: An Odyssey. The trailer makes it look incredibly interesting:

And the score is made by mogwai :buddy:

I wonder if Cousins is doing any voiceover though.... I hope not :frogbon:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 9, 2015