System Message

The forum store is down for maintenance and should reopen in the afternoon/evening (Central time). Thanks again to all the beta testers!
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

For some reason Netflix suggested I watch Brother's Keeper after I watched a bunch of horror movies. It's about the investigation of a possible fratricide, but the context is so weird and sad. Four old men, all brothers, all low-IQ, living together in a shack and farming like it's 1820, and then one of them dies and exposes both their bizarre circumstances and the strange, resentful, loving relationship their town has with them. It's a little sweet, pretty sad, and kind of hard to watch at times (the courtroom footage :( ). Good watch.

And I finally watched Until the Light Takes Us. I'm kind of annoyed at it. There are some parts I liked a lot, but it feels like the filmmakers were too much in awe of, especially, Varg Vikernes, to really get in deep about the whys, so at the end it doesn't feel like the filmmakers had anything at all to say. It's really bizarre to me that they glossed over the politics in early Norwegian black metal, especially as they seemed to be pushing the nihilist angle.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any good documentaries on native Americans? I'm watching one on youtube (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dr_Qqja4RY) and I just need to know more about the people who used to live where my house now stands (:smith:).

Reel Injun is about Native American representation in cinema. Broken Rainbow, about the Navajo, mining, and government interference in the '70s, is really good but horribly depressing (and horribly infuriating).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU