Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dirty money is amazing (apart from the quebec maple syrup one) - especially the trump episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was expecting some big reveal but there was just...nothing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alhazred posted:

I liked the maple syrup episode because of how bizarre the syrup business in Canada is.

it is kinda interesting but the other episodes are - car company brings us closer to the apocalypse to become market leader and succeeds and gets away with it, payday lender and his wife and lawyer whine about how unfair it is that they're getting prosecuted for bilking hundreds of million of dollars out of poor people, drug company dooms people to death or bankruptcy (or both) to increase shareholder value, the government decides not to pursue a slam dunk case against a giant bank that's been washing money for ultraviolent drug cartels, and the most powerful country on earth elects a transparent huckster and failure to the highest office in the land.

it's like having a horror anthology full of extremely grotesque and depressing stories and one of em is about a guy who stubbed his toe real bad.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 29, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

magiccarpet posted:

Evil Genius is a good watch but way too long

yeah after the first couple episodes it's so blah. plus i loathe true crime where the author/director inserts themselves.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i found it, really good but also man are we hosed when the chinese house of cards collapses.

i'm watching inside job now and i have to laugh at barney frank being one of the talking heads because he joined the board of a bank after he left congress.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 24, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm watching wild wild country and these people are such psychos. talking about how they were immediately entranced seeing some bearded weirdo in a robe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how the hell does ken burns open his vietnam documentary with the war being started with the "best intentions"???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's good, i just finished episode 2 last night (assassination of diem).

yeah i read Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam right before i started watching.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"balance" is the bastion of morons.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mo Hawk posted:

Balance is not what I would look for if I'm out to learn something new. There is a vast area between biased, extremist and balanced, toothless content which offers perspectives I had not been aware of before I enjoy watching/reading about.

balance is stupid because reality isn't "balanced".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

magnificent7 posted:

And sometimes it IS fun to watch a batshit crazy conspiracy theory documentary, just to kind of do a gut-check, "do I really believe Uncle Sherman about 'back in Nam'?"

watching room 237 was a hoot cuz i thought it was gonna be a documentary about the making of/themes/etc of the shining and the people talking just got more and more insane.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you actually see the dead kids within the first minute. at least with there's something wrong with aunt diane it's at the end and you don't see the kids.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

I have a question regarding crime documentaries on wrongful convictions. Are there any where when new evidence comes to light, the original prosecutor isnít maintaining Ďwell, I did the right thingí?

i've never seen one. it's the most frustrating part because these prosecutors have usually hosed anyone out of finding the actual perpetrator.

edit: rewatching paradise lost and it's insane they were allowed to have an "occult expert" testify.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 2, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rewatching into the abyss and it's always so loving frustrating how michael perry pretends he's innocent to the bitter end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also dumb not to use the interrotron.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

three identical strangers was wild.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the poo poo that makes me tear my hair out is dassey telling his mom after the interrogation that he just gave random answers like he does on his homework. how was that not a bigger focus.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm confused why the netflix frye documentary was getting better reviews. the hulu one was a lot better by default due to not being produced by fuckjerry and allowing them to dodge all fault for the scam.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Baronash posted:

In my opinion, the Netflix doc does a way better job at building up a sense of dread as the festival approaches. It's practically a horror film as each fuckup piles up until the date of the festival.

that's true but it lacks the background that the hulu doc gives. it's probably better constructed but is far less illuminating.

KoRMaK posted:

The netflix one seems better since it just points out every gently caress up in operations that happened. gently caress jerry didn't get a pass in my opinion, but they didn't go full on hard at the.

i felt they played it as if fuckjerry didn't know what was coming and was just as blindsided as everyone else when that couldn't be further from the truth.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is incredible you can make an entire company out of ripping off memes.

even their logo is a ripoff.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

abducted in plain sight is loving bonkers. i can't believe these people exist.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mahoning posted:

I just finished it.

it says something that "little girl believes she has to have a child with a grown man to save the world because aliens told her so" is the least crazy part.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mahoning posted:

I almost threw my phone at the TV when the dad admitted that he jerked the other dude off.

yeah uh i still don't understand how that happened. what was even nuttier to me was when the mom hosed the guy AFTER the abduction.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Mormons seem to have a gift of taking utter stupidity to the next level. What a wild ride that was.

speaking of mormons and documentaries and illegal sex stuff, cleanflix is a great one. musta watched that poo poo a half dozen times.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

making a murderer is so frustrating because even if you think avery did it the prosecution didn't make their case and brendan dassey very obviously had nothing to do with it. the most frustrating aspect of both seasons is there's no focus on what dassey said when his mom came in after the interrogation - that it was like when he just fills in his homework when he has no idea what the answer is. that's on top of the interrogators blatantly feeding him information.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

I stopped about a third of the way into abducted when I realized how stupid the father AND the mother were. They're victims too, but holy poo poo people how are you down for this?

you should keep watching cuz it gets wilder.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh Iím sure he still does.

he does. this was less than a month before the election:

quote:

They admitted they were guilty. The police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1097905853515120642

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh yeah i forgot that came out. i watched the case against adnan syed and thought it was not good. this review is on the money:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/3/11/18259534/serial-hbo-the-case-against-adnan-syed-review

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

Crazy that you would just leave your child sleeping with unlocked doors.

this is the part that;s always bothered me. the place had babysitters/daycare. even if it didn't...sorry you don't get to go out and drink with your friends late at night if you're vacationing with your young children. i can't imagine my parents ever letting us out of their sight at that age when they'd take us on vacation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was still insanely stupid because what if one of the kids falls in the room and gets hurt?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vegetable posted:

The Theranos doc is alright. Just a lot of trippy remixes of real footage. If you've read Bad Blood this will probably underwhelm you. If you haven't... well this might underwhelm you anyway. Read the book. It's a great fuckin book.

i liked it for putting faces to names.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

everyone losing their mind over her voice is so weird to me. i was losing my mind when she first came on the scene and nobody was pointing it out. it was so obviously phony.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mahoning posted:

The Act of Killing, if youíve never seen it, is fascinating. Although I donít think Iíve ever felt worse at the end of a documentary before.

the dudes bragging about the genocide they committed throughout the documentary but one of them retching at the end when he realized what he\s done was incredibly powerful.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

can't go wrong with "won't you be my neighbor" if you want a good cry.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"three identical strangers" is feel good if you don't wonder why the third brother isn't a talking head and shut it off halfway through.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

finally got around to watching zoo (the mr hands documentary) and i have no idea how it got so many plaudits at the festivals it was boring as poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

michelle carter got hosed. it's always hilarious how bad the media is at reporting crimes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

DFW Cats was fine but it definitely put way too much stock in the Internet dweebs who didnt contribute anything of actual worth in two whole years, and only knew the identity of the guy because he told them himself. Like if you trimmed their stuff down the story couldíve been told in two episodes and not have really lost anything.

Sounds like it had the same problem as Evil Genius where it should've been half as long.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They don't show you the actual violence they'll show the lead up and focus on a corner of the video while one of the internet detectives describes it. They do show him playing with the dead kittens after he uses the vacuum seal to suffocate them though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Aaron Hernandez documentary was pretty good, they spent a good amount of time on the victim and his friends. Was surprised the Boston Globe reporter assigned to the case when he was first arrested had no idea who he was (at the time he was probably the third most popular player on the team).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Here's a (or the?) long article about it:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-an-ex-cop-rigged-mcdonalds-monopoly-game-and-stole-millions?ref=scroll