Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nonathlon posted:

* Elizabeth Holmes is weird. People are quick to read strangeness after the fact (you wonder how all those serial killers, dictators and embezzlers get away with things for so long if their dysfunction is so obvious) but Holmes has a strange slightly stopped walk, awkward arm movements and a series of slightly stiff facial expressions. Every time she's on camera, you're stuck by how strange she acts. She reminds me of Zuckerberg.

I've said it before but when Theranos was the hot thing I felt like I was on crazy pills because nobody in the media was pointing out how obviously fake Holmes's voice was.

The best moment of the documentary is one of Theranos's early investors wearing a loving Bitcoin tie to sit-down interview for the doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MeinPanzer posted:

What other person? I don't remember anything about that.

Only thing I remember is there was another guy in I think the python video.

nonathlon posted:

It is drat weird, like a valley girl with a frog in her throat. If you heard her speak, you'd be transfixed by it.

I think it was something that everyone ignored ("geniuses, huh?") until the wheels came off Theranos. Then everyone commented on it, to the detriment of all the other things she did. Like, a weird voice is nothing compared to threatening employees, safety violations, fraud, the desperate aping of SV tropes, lying to investors ...

I do love how all these masters of the universe like Mattis and Biden and Kissinger and Schultz fell for it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Just saw Generation Wealth on Amazon. loving hell, that is some depressing poo poo.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQfuq_zz1Jk

I wanna strangle the "If you think money will buy you everything and anything you've never had money" guy so bad.

In the eternal words of Kanye West: "Having money's not everything/Not having it is"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How do you make a four episode series on the Challenger disaster and not talk about what actually happened to the crew? It was part of the failure in the Shuttle program.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Typical Netflix documentary style. Just donít really give you the actual full picture.

Speaking of another Netflix documentary I watched not giving the full picture:

https://twitter.com/non_bona_dicta/status/1316239480320294917?s=20

Thread cataloging them leaving out all the financial difficulties the family was having (and they had them about as bad as you can).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

Iíll agree with that. Netflix seem to be in a rut where they need every true crime thing to have a gimmick now, regardless if that affects the narrative. The stuff on YouTube from a year ago about this case was a more interesting watch and has access to the same footage. The social media stuff was loving lame when they donít tell you the context of it or make any kind of commentary.

The only part I liked about the texting was how stupid it made Chris Watts look. You lose sixty pounds and haven't had sex with your wife in over a month do you think maybe she'll suspect something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kinda wonder if they want to draw people in with the length because if you're aware of the case your first thought is going to be "how the gently caress did they drag this over four episodes?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I almost want to watch to see how they stretched it out so much. Even with going over the internet theorizing nonsense aspect of it I'd be hard pressed to do more than an hour on the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hooplah posted:

Wait, what? I thought after reading a bunch and watching lots of "unsolved"-type youtubes that the elisa lam thing was just a really sad case of mental illness? does this doc demonstrate something more was going on? I know it all seemed very spooky but there was never anything concrete to point to in terms of fishiness

It was a woman who had some kind of episode who fell (or jumped) into a water tank. Like a lot of unsolved mysteries misinformation was spread online to make it out to be more than it was. I could understand maybe getting two episodes if you really go in depth about the internet stuff and how they turned it into something it wasn't but four episode is absurd.

I'm pretty sure the YouTube video I watched that debunked all the "mysterious" elements was less than half an hour long.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 16, 2021