Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

irrelephant posted:

I followed that Everest...est...est thread and watched tons of the documentaries, films, etc, none of which mentioned any pulverized corpses as far as I can remember :confused:

The ones that get preserved (at least to an extent) are the ones that die high up on the ridges -- but there are still scavengers, and sometimes they and the elements will work together to reduce corpses left in certain conditions. (For instance, I think there's one corpse high on the route which is legs-only at this point, if it hasn't disappeared entirely.) The ones that stay forever tend to be the ones that are partially sheltered and/or frozen into the mountainside in the lee of the wind.

The pulverization happens if you happen to die in the Khumbu Icefall. It's a frozen waterfall consisting of building-sized seracs slowly moving down the mountain, and every so often someone falls into a crevasse there and dies. If that happens, the shifting ice could easily grind your corpse into pulp before taking your remains down the mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU