Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Petah posted:

Real story about an off duty pilot who attempts to land a passenger jet in an impossible scenario. Quite possibly the most gripping story I've ever witnessed in my entire life.

One Hell of a Tale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPu0chBQeUk

Is this the Sioux City crash? I haven't seen this, but read the entire story. It's goddamned phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Art&Copy

A great documentary about the advertising world. It's not extremely exhaustive, but it's just some great hands on interviews with some of the biggest firms (including Old Spice's Wieden+Kennedy) and what makes advertising successful and not successful. Seriously check it out ESPECIALLY if you're in the ad world.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

onemanlan posted:

Whoa I wanna watch that! IMDB Says Release date is "5 May 2010" however there are already ratings up for it. Go figure!

If it was released last month why wouldn't there be ratings for it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

onemanlan posted:

Cause Im a retarded stoner. Oops. Was thinking 2009, doh. Well I cant seem to find it other than on Amazon and thats $5.99 for a rental. I don't want to pay for it!

I think I might be able to dig up some Amazon VOD credit for you...hold on

edit: Nevermind it's all for "select" TV shows. Sorry to get your hopes up!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 30, 2010

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lackadaisical posted:

This thread couldn't have come at a better time - for class I'm supposed to write a paper on a documentary relating to anything in the field of human sexuality. Can someone recommend me a good one for that topic?

American Swing is decent although it focuses more specifically on the swingers of the 70s.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Untrustable posted:

I Ctrl+f'd all over this thread and saw no mention of Not Quite Hollywood. its a brilliant film about ozsploitation. I'll just let Netflix explain.

"Explore the unofficial history of Australian cult film with this provocative documentary on the "Ozploitation" flicks of the 1970s and '80s. Filmmaker Mark Hartley explores the violence, sex and nudity rampant during this period of lax restrictions. Jam-packed with film clips, poster art and international advertisements, the film also features anecdotes from numerous celebrities about this dynamic period in Australian cinema."

Its awesome even if you're not Australian, and it has a good bit about the late Dennis Hopper being a zany coke fiend.

Netflix IW link

Adding this to my queue. Always have passed over it, but it's nice to get a Goon Rec.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The Art of the Steal

Holy poo poo this was awesome. I'm ashamed I never knew of the Barnes Collection. Basically this awesome guy, Dr. Barnes, collects a lot of modern and post-impressionist art just as it's happening. 181 Renoirs, 69 Cézannes, 59 Matisses, 46 Picassos and others. It's worth an untold amount of money. He never wanted it moved, loaned, or sold, but after his death Philadelphia had other things on its mind.

Available in HD. loving watch it. It's so good. I promise!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kitsch! posted:

Any more documentaries about the way we currently eat? I've already seen Food Inc., King Corn, Supersize Me, Fat Head, Fast Food Nation (not actually a documentary), and Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World, Killer at Large.

Amazon is recommending me The Future of Food, Bad Seed: The Truth About Our Food and Foodmatters.

The World According to Monsanto?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think what a lot of people get defensive about is that it was never intended to be a documentary.

It was a video letter to the kid that ended up turning into something completely different.

Also I guess it was completely circumstancial when she fled the country and killed the kid and committed suicide.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dudebro posted:

Anyone know of:

A documentary about scammers in Nigeria, either supporting or exposing them or anything about them at all

and

I didn't see all of it, and I'm sure it's not exhaustive, but I THINK MSNBC's "To Catch an ID Thief" (from the To Catch a Predator guys) eventually ends up in Nigeria.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17805134/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Harminoff posted:

If any of you have netflix, they just added a bunch of nat geo shows. They have also added the first two seasons of Lock Up. Highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.

Oh man yes. Lock Up is awesome.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just watched a great little documentary called The Cruise.

It's in HD on Netflix Streaming.

It follows a tour guide operator in 1998 New York as he talks about the city and his life philosophy in general. It was a lot more insightful than I thought it'd be. He has a great way of verbalizing of what it's like to live in an organism like NYC.

It's a little bit ego, little bit mental illness, and little bit brilliant!

It's got a 7.6/10 at IMDB. Pretty good.

The end with his confrontation with the Fire Door was loving awesome.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Again, 'cause this thread is too long, if this is a repeat I am sorry.

I was surfing around on netflix and this documentary popped up called The Cove, I wasn't interested in it from the title, but it really was a fantastic documentary.

You can also watch it here:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/cove/

It follows an undercover team of vigilante Dolphin lovers who were out to film Japan's annual slaughter of thousands of Dolphins at a secret cove in Taiji, Japan.

If this makes you think of WHALE WARS, please stash that bullshit at the back of your mind. It's nothing like Whale Wars (beyond the fact that it's white people fighting with the Japanese for most of the film).

If you want to know more about the slaughter of Cetaceans worldwide (you know, our aquatic mammal bros who can recognize themselves, and are extremely intelligent), you will enjoy this film.

So maybe enjoy is not the right word. You'll probably be disgusted, it's really sad, since (apart from all of the blowhole rape) they're pretty nice creatures who save our asses sometimes.

Here's the WIKI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cove_(film)

Seriously, this is one of the most interesting documentaries I've ever watched. It's striking and startling, and even most of the Japanese population doesn't realize they are being duped. All that delicious whale you buy? Yeah, it's probably Dolphin. And laced with mercury you say, at toxic levels? Lovely Japan.

I'm not trying to be an rear end, and the Cove is very good, but is pretty well known so you don't have to sell it that hard :D!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Imapanda posted:

Could anyone recommend some good pseudo-philosophical COSMOS-like Astronomy documentaries? I need a new thing to watch that makes me feel the warmth and :unsmith:ness for how beautiful the universe is.

Last year Discovery aired two sister mini-series:

Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking

and How the Universe Works narrated by Mike Rowe.

Both are fantastic and worth watching, but the Mike Rowe one is a tad watered down.

They are loving GORGEOUS in HD if you can find it on the tube. They combine awesome science with gorgeous modern animation and great music.

For some reason neither is on Blu-Ray and only Into the Universe is on DVD

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Universe-Stephen-Hawking-Steven/dp/B0047HXMMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295487639&sr=8-1

That's not to be confused with the 2004 Doc Stephen Hawking's Universe.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Imapanda posted:

There's actually a segment in the movie specifically directed towards people who point fingers at it with the assumption that it promotes some sort of agenda.

I haven't seen it yet so I can't fully comment, but this is usually a warning sign in and of itself.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cyril Sneer posted:

How exactly is some guy who paints graffiti that is perhaps a notch above swear words grounds for such a great documentary? All seems very self-congratulatory to me.

ahahahahhaahahahaah

what? You have no idea what you're talking about do you?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cyril Sneer posted:

I know exactly who Banksy is. He's a graffiti artist.

Whats the movie about? His life? Why is that interesting?
His political motivations?
Why is there a an apparently-award-winning documentary about this guy?

What about this film isn't just a giant ad for the guy?

You seem to be confusing street artist with folks that do tagging.

And the movie isn't even really about Banksy at all. He's just kind of a side character.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Splits posted:

I just finished Herb & Dorothy on Netflix, and it's a feel-good documentary about a couple who genuinely love art. It was a nice follow up to Exit Through the Gift Shop.

Anyone able to point me towards more artist-based documentary about modern/current artists? I'm finding that they tend to be really hit or miss, I'm looking for less Art House type stuff and more informative, tell a story type stuff. I tried watching one of the Cremaster series thinking it would be another interesting look into art, I forget which one, but holy poo poo I couldn't handle that.

Yeah the Cremaster series is...tough.

And I've been meaning to go to our local Herb & Dorothy exhibit here but haven't.

Also, this isn't quite what you're looking for, but if you are at ALL interested in the art world and awesome documentaries you must must must watch The Art of the Steal. It's on Netflix. You owe it to yourself.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I know it's been mentioned, but I finally got around to watching Touching the Void. Great climbing doc that starts out really tame and just unravels totally.

Also both men are really honest and I like how they were so open about not really blaming each other for what happening and understanding why the rope had to be cut and all that.

Also the decision to delve further into the chasm in order to find a way out took balls of unimaginable size.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Non Serviam posted:

OMG, really? The dude from https://www.godhatesfags.com is anti-gay? This is an unexpected turn of events.
It was still awesome (EDIT: by that I mean hilarious)

To contribute:

A video covering the TOTALLY SPONTANEOUS reactions after Kim Il Sung's death (the father of the current insane North Korean tyrant, Kim Jong Il). I just finished a book about North Korea, so the whole phenomenon surprises me. Though a lot of it is clearly staged, there are actually a lot of people who cried like that, and who even committed suicide after Kim Il Sung's death. It's like North Korea is one big experiment on cult mentality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrvIM1ENcbA

NOTE: The video is hosted by an insane pro-north korea retard, so don't pay attention to the propagandistic title.

Goddamn accordingto that video North Korea

a.) constantly sounds like it's in the middle of a large tornado

and

b.) is apparently on always on a ship at rough seas.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

a 16 year old girl posted:

:words:

This is EXACTLY what I thought'd it be. Thanks for saving me the viewing.

God I remember in art school during a review (in front of the rest of the students), taking an extremely narrow view of modern art and the faculty, politely, tore me a new rear end in a top hat. It was necessary though however embarrassing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dropbear posted:

I know there are impressive pieces of modern art out there; hell, my government tries to pass a bill to only fund "traditional" art and not postmodern art, and I've often ranted about how goddamned insane that is.

That said, some of the modern pieces he showed are, at least to me, absolutely terrible and I can't fathom what they have to do in an art museum. The blue canvas, for example. The ridiculous rant about how it's actually a great piece of work just made it worse - it's still a blue canvas. Is there some deeper meaning here I'm missing? The praise for it made me think of someone trying really, really hard to figure out a valid reason to put that thing on the wall and coming up with utterly random nonsense.

ETA 53 seconds to the "well you JUST DON'T GET THE GENIUS OF THE BLUE CANVAS :smugdog:"-response..

Well the short response is that yes there is a deeper meaning. Generally we're used to associate the meaning of art with not only the subject matter but the skill involved. The reaction that, once the perception of skill is removed, the art becomes worthless really doesn't speak well of someone's knowledge of art.

I'm not a master of modern art by any means, but to really understand it it takes a good bit of art history to see what it's born OUT of. Why did Modern Art evolve? How was it born? What was it a reaction to? The technical mastery of the piece isn't irrelevant, but it's hardly as contributing as art that came before it.

Modern Art isn't modern because it "looks" modern. Modern art is a REACTION to art. It has a very important, hilariously awesome at times, and worthwhile history.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 22, 2011

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I wouldn't call this a mini-doc, but it's a great little video on CNN.com (and isn't done in a typical news report fashion). I went to church with this guy when we were young. I didn't know what condition he had and he was always referred to as "retarded." It was an uppity white church in the Mississippi Delta and the usual boring hymnals and that sort of "silent guilt" that typically goes with white churches.

I never knew he had cerebral palsy and could speak via machine. He was always ushered in one side and out the other before the service was done. I don't go to church at all now, but I feel bad for the way he was treated. It wasn't inhumane or anything, but it really forced a lot of people to have an uninformed opinion about him. Anyway he decided to go to a black church and has a great time now! I kind of wish there would be a longer documentary on him.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/20/finding-god-in-the-mississippi-delta/?hpt=hp_c1

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ekplixi posted:

I apologize if this has been posted already, but I didn't see it.

Jesus Camp

http://www.atheistnation.net/video/?video/00118/atheist/jesus-camp/

At first I worried this was going to be an athiest circlejerk-type movie, but it's quite compassionate in how it portrays evangelical kids. I liked that it was countered with talks from a more liberal Christian perspective, so it's not some big Christian-bashing movie (I'm not a Christian but I am religious so I hate that poo poo). It's very sad though, these kids are basically being brainwashed pro-war, anti-abortion, YE creationist, anti-Muslim young adults and it's sad and scary.

Seeing a bunch of nine-year-olds pray over a cutout of George W. Bush gave me chills.

Yeah those are essentially Christian extremists and don't even really represent "conservative" Christians.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also for Dear Zachary, and I hate that we have to consistently bring this up since folks can't come to the conclusion themselves, but it's NOT a standard documentary and was never meant to be. The entire loving video started out as a video card for the kid when he grew up so he'd know his father. Then things just started spiraling out of control and the card turned into something out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rapacity posted:

Could anyone please recommend a good sailing documentary? I've always had a thing for the idea of taking a tiny boat out against all the elements and I recently watched http://www.channel4.com/programmes/schoolboy-who-sailed-the-world/4od (may not work for those outside the UK) and it was awesome.

I've searched for them but they're really hokey "my local river" type poo poo. Something as awesome as sailing around the world must have some good docs attached but I can't find them.

ps, watch that above mentioned doc. That kid is great and should probably kill his father because he's a projecting worthless rear end in a top hat who inadvertently gave his son the most exhilarating and DANGEROUS rite-of-passage any kid should get to satisfy himself.

Have you seen "Solo?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1297301/

It's very very good. Only an hour long, but check it out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

doctor 7 posted:

Dear Zachary is a really, really amateurish documentary so missing it isn't a big deal, honestly.

This constantly gets brought up, but it was never meant to BE a documentary. The whole thing started as a video "card" the guy was making for Zachary. It incidentally turned into something else, but judging it on a typical documentary scale isn't really effective.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

truther posted:

Hi, can anyone tell me the name of that British post-Nuclear documentary please? I'm sure I saw it in this thread but can't find it. I remember it being recommended for being absolutely depressing and very realistic.

Threads?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stare-Out posted:

Dear Zachary is indeed very sad but I hated how it's made. It's full of things where the guy narrating goes "Then he got into a car" (cut to a shot of a person getting into a car followed by the noise of an engine starting) and "He wrote them a letter" (shot of a letter being written with the noise of a pen scraping paper) and it's annoying as hell. But it's worth a watch if you can't find any other way of being emotionally punched in the stomach.

It can be a bit amateurish, but it's also important to remember that it was never intended to be a real documentary. It was just a video letter the guy was making for the guy about his dad. A personal project. When things started unwinding it became something different.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

exquisite tea posted:

Some time ago I watched a PSA from AT&T about the dangers of texting and driving with the usual sob stories of prom queens and team captains cut down in their prime by a highway median because they were messaging their friends. It was depressing, of course, but they also showed their last messages before they died, which made it...kind of darkly funny? I'm probably a bad person for laughing a little at people whose lasts texts before rolling off a hill were "lol" and "where u at." The whole movie did inspire me to always say something profound and meaningful before going on long car rides.

The Werzog one is from AT&T as well and is essentially a product of the smaller pieces you mentioned.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NmareBfly posted:

Free to Play, an E-sports documentary by Valve, came out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjZYMI1zB9s

I'm curious what non-video game people think about it as an actual documentary.

Felt like a giant advertisement for DOTA and e-sports to be honest. It was enjoyable as a fly on the wall sorts of thing, but it didn't actually tackle any issues.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NmareBfly posted:

I've seen a few people say this, and I'm curious: can you put a finger on what was so advertising-y about it? Aside from a very brief introduction to the game early on, they barely mention anything to do with Dota itself. There's never any sort of in your face pushing of the product besides that the entire thing is about a Dota tournament so it features a lot of people having fun playing the game. I'm not sure if there would be a way to prevent that, though? I mean, they could have made it a documentary about e-sports in general but the original motivation was apparently just 'hey, let's film this tournament we're putting on!' and the fact that it became a feature-length movie just grew out of the process. If you're following three people to a place to play a particular game, I'm not sure how you can avoid mentioning the game they're playing.

The fact that they dramatize portions of the tournament games with the cutscene type moments might have been a bad move that comes across pretty false. I can see why they did it, but whether or not it made things worse is open to debate. It's hard as hell to understand what's going on in a big Dota fight even for an experienced player sometimes, so if they just included shots of it entirely in-game I'm not sure if the 'action' moments would have any sort of dramatic impact to a layman. Are those the parts that made it feel like an advertising, and were they effective at all?

I dunno. I just came away from watching it really surprised at how LITTLE it felt like an advertisement, but I already play the game in question so I can't watch it with a clear head. There's a metric poo poo ton of marketing stuff they could have gone into, but even the simple fact that it's a free game is only mentioned obliquely in the title of the movie -- I don't think they ever point it out as a 'selling' point. It didn't work for me as an advertisement for e-sports, either. I got from it was that professional e-sports involves a ton of sacrifices and can turn your home life to poo poo, which probably isn't worth it until society starts providing ways to pull some sort of steady paycheck not based entirely on tournament winnings.

I think it's because it's advertised and described as a documentary about e-sports against the backdrop of the tournament. But other than your trotted out tropes of "what are the kids parents like?" it's all very shallow. There's no real commentary on e-sports other than some generic stats and speculation. It's just...hey here are some kids playing Dota. Which is fine I guess, just don't make it sound like an actual documentary. Because that usually involves actually delving into the issue at hand and presenting different sides of the same issue and this film barely scratched the surface of...anything really.

Fly on the wall "fun" thing it is. Documentary? Not so much.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We're having a screening of Hands on a Hard Body at work.... I can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzj-vb7Lj0A

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just watched Levitated Mass on Netflix. Loved it.

Taught me about an artist I woefully didn't know about, showed me a cool story I somehow missed (from the 2011/2012 years) and was just a cool example of awesome logistical planning and execution.

Really cool. Also really touching, enlightening and fun to watch. I highly recommend it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Finally watched The Overnighters.

I don't know what to think. I kinda feel like it cheap shotted me. Like they knew what the twist was and just inflated the original story to feature length just so they could turn around and reveal a "shocking twist" end the movie and take off before folks can have a moment to go "whoa... you owe me more of an explanation than that!"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cocoa Ninja posted:

For me the movie holds up even if you didn't know the "twist." Maybe that's personal preference. Just a really sharp take on the idea of the American dream and the contrast between the ideals we aspire to and what we're willing to do in practice.

It's more about adding a shade to his character motivation as opposed to being truly integral to the plot.

That makes sense. Although I guess my real problem with it is I felt it could've been like a 30 minute doc. I loved the subject of it, but it just kinda felt like too little content stretched out to feature length.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I just watched Call me Lucky. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkYG_AeRfU

That's the trailer. Watch it, please. It's very, very, very good. This is an achievement for Bobcat.

Where is it available? It looks fantastic.

Also I watched Slingshot the other night. It's pretty good I guess. It sounds like it's supposed to be about Dean Kamen's water solution and there's a little bit of that in there, but really it's kind of just an inspiration piece on Kamen and the need for kids to look positively upon engineering in this country. I liked it though because I think Kamen is a legit genius and the Segway (or at least it's tech) is way ahead of its time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hell yes, thanks! I know what I'm watching tonight!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I watched it last night. Great documentary, but goddamn it is some heavy heavy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

djwetmouse posted:

two different men, the priest talk was just to set up his, rightful, antagonism with the Catholic church. As he said the man who raped him eventually went to prison, a Catholic priest would get off Scott free.

And to clarify a tad more: the talk does get confusing at the end especially since he's going 90 to nothing... but at the end when he's talking about the priests rape he's referencing his friends and other people who met him who were raped even though he basically "got away."