Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Lions and Hyenas

A National Geographic special that covers lions, hyenas, and how they hate the poo poo out of each other. This documentary shows some really vicious kills, especially one where a pride leader gets pissed off and breaks a hyena matriarch's back.

It also shows how mistaken the "male lions are lazy" notion is. While the female lions do most of the hunting, the male lions defend territory, and seriously gently caress up some hyenas in this documentary.

I think there's a dvd version of this from Amazon, but here's a youtube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ceMi0gmOcA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I'll definitely have a lot to watch in the coming weeks, this is awesome.

A good documentary if you want to look at how animals are treated in society, but want to leave out the crazy PETA poo poo, look at the documentary Earthlings. It's very powerful and doesn't sugar coat anything. Be careful though, We saw this with an entire class, and there wasn't a person who wasn't crying. You might even become a vegitarian for a while, I did.

possibly :nms: if you have a heart.
http://www.earthlings.com/

Counter-documentary on Temple Grandin (there's a movie with Claire Danes coming out about her):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ycu3JFRrA

Not only is it a very interesting piece about a functioning autistic lady who's managed to cope with the disorder, but she's also made a significant contribution to society by designing humane devices for cattle slaughtering plants.

Because of her, a majority of cattle slaughter facilities have guidelines to make sure that the animals are treated properly, such as making sure that they aren't upset or afraid leading up to their death, and their death is as quick and instant as possible.

Because of her disorder, she has an incredible empathy with animals, and she's been able to use that to significantly improve the treatment of livestock as a result.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

Lone Rogue posted:

It's quite amazing, the human mind. Because they told me after the faith healer, she did seem like she was better. She was happy, active and the colour in her skin seemed to come back. But it was all just in her head. The cancer was getting worse and worse and she just wasn't showing it.

The thing with pain and some sicknesses is, your brain naturally produces chemicals which can suppress pain etc. in the short term. That's why patients have to be monitored long-term - you could have a loving finger missing and if you have enough adrenaline pumping through your system, you'll seem perfectly fine. If you come back a few hours/days later, when the stimulants wear off, that is when you see if someone really got better or if they just had a caffeine/chocolate/ephedrine boost.

A similar thing happens when you eat shitloads of sugar - you feel better as you get this huge glucose boost, and when it wears off you bottom out like a fuckin rock.

Dumb people are susceptible to this bullshit because they only think in the immediate shortterm, and never correlate "hey a few hours later and I feel like poo poo! Maybe it didn't work!"