Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

unam3d posted:

:nms:The Hunt For Britains Paedophiles:nms:

WARNING: This documentary is truly disturbing and contains scenes of (censored) child abuse. You have been warned.

Part One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq8zqDPmQxE

Part Two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JAQQF8TETA

Part Three:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUT1sv-N8Nw

Thanks to Jambo Jambos on the Jim'll Fix It: literally every 1970s icon was a nonce. Even him. And him. And them. GBS thread for making me aware of this documentary.

Let me know if you find a better quality version.
This is by far the realest and most harrowing doc I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Not gonna lie, had to skip some parts but this is some real poo poo. How those cops are not totally hollow husks inside I have no idea. That ending...

WouldDesk posted:

Last night I decided to watch The House I Live In which seemed to get great reviews from most. I have to say, I just wasn't that into it. I understand that the war on drugs is lovely and some of the stories were upsetting but I expected more than the message of "whitey is trying to suppress minorities". Does anyone else fell similar?

You're dumb as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolek
May 1, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned on here because I lost track of the thread but I stumbled across Just Melvin: Just Evil which is I believe a HBO film from 2000. There's elements to it that are dated (Some of the music and film making) but it's not lacking for power. To hear people talk so openly about their abuse is staggering. It's probably one of the best films about how sexual abuse destroys people and destroys families. There's no real surprises or twists, it's pretty open upfront about what happened.

I just hope that the people in the film find some happiness, whatever little they can at this point. For anyone who wants to watch it, and everyone should, it's here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY4eHaiVK9s

There's no words. I can't even begin. Just... gently caress.

Bolek fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 22, 2013

Bolek
May 1, 2003

The only documentary argument more stupid and cliched than "objectivity" is inherent truthfulness in verite style docs.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Special Kei posted:

The CNN series Cold War is the best series on the Cold War.

Lets not get crazy here

Bolek
May 1, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Finally watched Overnight. Holy poo poo is Troy Duffy human garbage. Is the normal reaction to this is wanting everyone in the film to have something horrible happen to them?

Yes. It is. Well, mostly Duffy. Not sure who else is in that movie because all I see in my mind's eye when trying to recall it is the burning effigy of his face that my brain has replaced it with.

It's pretty impressive that it's possible to be such a piece of poo poo that you end up making Hollywood look reasonable.

Bolek fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 11, 2013

Bolek
May 1, 2003

magnificent7 posted:

I tried watching the Boondock Saints this morning - it was godawful. I mean, God Bless Willem DaFoe for committing to it, but the writing was loving bad. The whole thing was like a movie studio had 15 million dollars they HAD to get rid of, and found this sap to think he was good, instead of a tax loop hole or some poo poo.

So now I'm watching the documentary. Or trying. Listening to him talk himself up, after watching the goddamn horrible job he did with writing, it's painful.

As utterly terrible as it was I have no doubt that if they had actually given this movie a proper release and put a modest amount of ad dollars behind it it would have made over a 100 mil easy.

Felt dirty just typing that.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Fayez Butts posted:

Overnight, the story of the production of The Boondock Saints is pretty darn good.

If by good you mean making you want to board the next bus to Boston to find Troy Duffy and drop a piano on him - yes quite good.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Actually most Vice documentaries are sensationalist, shrill, uninformed, hipster, American Borat bullshit. Their treatment of Liberia is an especially egregious example. Consult following links and embedded links within for less vitriolic explanation as to exactly why and for recommendation on far better and more edifying docs:

Looking for brave docs from NOVA or 60 minutes is a fools errand. They might have something good every once in a while but for the most part they're ossified institutions that aren't willing to make much waves or show something that might be unpalatable to your grandma.

http://penelopechester.com/2010/01/29/open-letter-to-shane-smith/
http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2010/01/25/liberia-shock-or-insight/

Bolek fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 19, 2013

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

I just watched Happy People a flick about some bad rear end modern mountain men, my description not theirs, in Siberia. A light hearted and easy to watch documentary that will make your realize these are the only dudes surviving the apocalypse.

Happy People - Venerated documentarian Werner Herzog teams with director Dmitry Vasyukov for this observant look at life along the River Yenisei in northern Russia, where the industrious inhabitants of a rural village truly live off the land.

It's really good. That story about his dog and the bear made me tear up. It's a lot more emotional if you speak Russian.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

MRC48B posted:

Errol Morris is doing another Interrotron documentary, this time with Donald Rumsfeld.

I'm hoping Morris gets him to at least indirectly admit his fuckup, like with McNamara. Probably not though. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NptUMuDAljA

That loving smile he gives at the end.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

If you want to cry your eyes out watch the Suicide Plan Frontline episode. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Cactus posted:

What's the best documentary to watch that explains the worldwide financial crash circa 2008, both what caused it and future implications? It will preferably be informative, politically unbiased, and explained in a way so that someone like me that doesn't know anything about economics or banking beyond a basic supply/demand curve will be able to grasp the concepts presented.

That Frontline doc is ok as long as you keep in mind there are many interconnected issues that caused it that can't be delved into with any depth in a few hours without an existing framework of understanding and that a totally unbiased account of something that is a result of a particular ideology is impossible even if approached with utter banality and doesn't serve to further any meaningful understanding.

Bolek fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 5, 2013

Bolek
May 1, 2003

From what I can tell people who make the argument that A is happening and is far worse than B so you shouldn't concern yourself with A typically don't do poo poo about either in any capacity and just like starting arguments that devolve into morality top trumps.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Watching Blackfish made me love orcas less, but respect them more.

Pretty novel strategy to show animal intelligence through cruelty as opposed to sympathetic actions. Arguably more persuasive.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

smurf1788 posted:

I watched it but IDk. I keep hearing everyone say " Take it with a grain of salt" or it's a "shock film"

When you hear stuff like that without anyone ever elaborating as to why you can be sure it's synonymous with "This thing has a clear point of view and it makes me uncomfortable"

Bolek
May 1, 2003

marktheando posted:

Well taking a photograph is 'easier' than painting a picture, so ask him if he considers the work of Thomas Kinkade to be superior to that of every photographer who ever picked up a camera.

Bad example because the answer is an obvious and incontestable yes.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Lets all calculate the likelihood that his dick had anything to do with her not wanting to marry him.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Robo Reagan posted:

Any chance there's a decent documentary on Kim Jong-il, or any of the rulers of North Korea? Documentaries showing the life of an average schlub are getting more and more common, but I don't know much about the leaders aside from what Wiki says. I'll take anything, really. Something about a preference of art, a weird psychological profile from a German professor who read between the lines on propaganda videos, anything at all besides the typical North propaganda would be really interesting.

While not a documentary, I certainly feel like this is a good primer on North Korean state ideology. Departs quite radically from the standard idiot Western narratives. http://www.c-span.org/video/?292562-1/book-discussion-cleanest-race

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

Happy People was really interesting because the subjects focused on pretty much are alone, and when you learn it's because the Soviet government (kinda fun to not know this going in) basically dropped them in the middle of Siberia long ago and never returned to check on them, and they refused to just die, it becomes insane. I can't imagine having a family, community, etc. but living alone for 10 months of the year.

Happy People is amazing. That story he tells about his dog made me tear up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Gonna have to parcel this out.

Can someone recommend any documentaries that go into how prevalent drug use was, historically? You hear these stories about JFK being an opiate and speed addict, Hitler being cranked up all the time, etc. It would be interesting to see something that goes in depth about that. Ideally I'd like something that covers different eras and cultures, but wouldn't be averse to stuff that focuses on a particular group or time. Thanks.