Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

mrfart posted:

if you ever get the chance to watch 'the sound of belgium', really do so.
Some people I know saw it at IDFA and really loved it. I'm genuinely curious as to when it'll be released and I hope it will be.

Some movies I *did* see at IDFA and really enjoyed were:

Alan Berliner's First Cousin, Once Removed about poet Edwin Honig who's gradually losing his memory due to Alzheimer's.

Searching for Sugar Man about an amazing musician at the level of Bob Dylan whose career went nowhere, except for South Africa where, unbeknownst to him, he became a megastar.

The Gatekeepers which interviews former heads of the Shin Bet in Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Yes, Tegenlicht is awesome. It has a lot of really insightful discussion about the role of economy, technology and work in our near feature. A good overview of what they're doing this year can be found here. There's quite a bit of English in here, so you should be able to follow along.

They also have an English minisite.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

A few documentaries I really liked at IDFA'13: Twenty Feet From Stardom, about background singers, why they're awesome and why they sometimes elect to stay out of the limelight.

Displaced Perssons, a charming story about a Swedish guy who traveled the world, ended up in Pakistan. He married, had two daughters and now wants to move his entire family back to Sweden to make sure they don't end up staying indoors and doing housework all the time.

Ukraine Is Not A Brothel, about Femen, a bunch of topless feminists (yes, that's a thing). How likely is it that they are, in fact, organized by a man?

And finally, for those of you who like their documentaries to be gutpunches in the style of Dear Zachary, I recommend Farewell to Hollywood. I'm still not sure if I agree with the methods of the maker, Henry Corra, but it certainly was...well, emotionally exhausting.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Notable for the part where Jeremy Irons suggests legalized gay marriage means dads can marry their sons for the purpose of passing on their money in an easier manner.
The man is clearly insane. What I didn't understand is why the interviewer didn't just ask something along the lines of "what if that person had a daughter instead"? Would that moneymaking scheme still make weird sense to Mr. Irons?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Just watched the BBC4 documentary "The Joy of Easy Listening", I really enjoyed it. It talks about the origins of Easy Listening as a reaction to 'beat' and 'rock' music for the older generation. It has a very nice quote from James Last about modern music can still be fantastic and that older music is not automatically better.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Pootybutt posted:

Looking for really good food documentaries. About preparation, history, anything.
I enjoyed Kings of Pastry, Jiro Dreams of Sushi and El Bulli: Cooking in Progress.

Edit: There's also Spinning Plates which was pretty boring IMHO :)

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 8, 2016

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

I quite like documentaries about how factories work. Stuff like the BBC's "Inside the Factory", for instance. But are there any documentaries about the companies that design the factories and all the intricate conveyors and odd little devices that make up a factory?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

That's precisely the documentary I'd like to watch :allears:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Excellent suggestions, thanks! The NYTimes documentary is of extra interest to me since my father-in-law used to work behind a Linotype machine and has witnessed the migration to desktop publishing first-hand.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

HyperNormalisation is basically a must-watch. Its length and density and, at times, abstractness gives it kind of a fever dream quality sometimes.

This is a wonderful description of it. I absolutely loved it precisely because of the fever dream quality of it. Events of the past 40 years woven together into this intricate narrative that's just so *compelling* without seeming like a conspiracy theorist's ravings.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Not *quite* documentaries, but the BBC have placed everything related to their Computer Literacy Project online. This project ran in the 80's and was designed to instruct the British public about microcomputers (and which spawned the BBC Micro).

Apart from 150+ TV programs they've even included the computer programs they used to demonstrate various techniques.

Check it out here: https://computer-literacy-project.pilots.bbcconnectedstudio.co.uk

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

One of the focus areas of the documentary are unions. They also showed how unions work in China, where they are there to make sure the employees work harder :)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

I'm not sure if any of you remember internet phenomenon Ullillillia? Anyway, a documentary was made about him somewhere around 2012 but because the documentary makers were inexperienced they more or less messed it up, ran out of funds and that was that.

The documentary never got released, until yesterday when they uploaded the complete doc to YouTube!

I haven't watched it yet, so I can't comment on the quality, but I'm very curious.

Go check it out!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

The Scientist posted:

"My Silicon Love"
Can confirm this is an odd, but excellent documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

I agree it was a very interesting documentary. It's pretty traditional in its setup but it works.