Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The 30 for 30 OJ doc is on Hulu. I'm halfway through and it is excellent. If you missed it don't sit on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Trent should have made 18 hours of new music for this. I demand nothing less.

I think this is his most complete score. I've liked the others but they often felt like fragments of songs rather than complete pieces, these songs all feel fleshed out and finished. I'm also pretty interested in seeing how songs sync up and work with different visuals, so re-contextualizing older pieces is good.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Wait, is this actually an original score? I thought it was just Ghosts I-IV added to video.

Not that this is strictly a bad thing: Ghosts I-IV is an album that doesn't really stand on its own despite having a lot of tracks that work very well as background/mood music, but I didn't notice much that was new material.

Yeah, it's 1h35 minutes long. I'm only on episode 4, but I'm definitely hearing significantly more of this score than Ghosts or other existing TRez work. The "Trent Reznor" sounds definitely bubble up in the mix more when I'm listening over my TV speakers, so I could see not thinking it was much new stuff if all you can hear are the piano coming through.

Check out the score on it's own if you are a fan. It's up on Spotify.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Mahoning posted:

If you want to watch a quick one, there’s a 40 minute doc on Netflix called Long Shot about a man accused of murder that is exonerated by a Dodger game and an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Not mind blowing but it’s short and it’s a pretty crazy story so it’s worth it.

Please tell me it’s because he is on camera in some random shot of the Car Pool Lane episode of Curb.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 20, 2017

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The Andre doc is both recommended and disappointing. It’s very much about Andre the mythological figure and not Andre the man. I do wish it had gone a lot deeper in to him as a man, but it was a fun feel good documentary.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Are there any good follow up reads on that case that dive in to what the documentary didn't show? Based on what I saw in the documentary I have no idea if he did or did not do it, but it feels very much like he shouldn't have been convicted.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I feel awkward doing any amount of self-promotion, but here goes. Last year I produced, directed, and edited a documentary that spends a day with a refugee family from Colombia who currently live in North Carolina. This is the first of a series of these, each with different local artists working the camera and creating a score. It played in a few small film festivals and now that we are well in to production on the second one decided it's time to put it out there.

The Chance To Live (11m29s): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHATulHlTus&feature=share

This was shot by a photographer from Chapel Hill / Hillsborough, NC, and the music was by Chapel Hill / Mebane musicians from Solar Halos, Horseback, and Mount Moriah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Pingiivi posted:

I thought they would have gotten better results from that footage than what they did with that WWI doc, which also looked terrible. The motion interpolation looks like poo poo and apparently they have added so much grain removal that everyone looks like puppets. It's really weird to me that old footage can't be just restored, but it has to be recolored/smoothed/interpolated to poo poo.

I was shocked when I finally watched the WW1 doc and saw how terrible it looked. The faces were distracting to the point that I had to turn it off halfway through.