Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
The Union: The Business Behind Getting High

Netflix posted:

Filmmaker Adam Scorgie explores the illegal marijuana industry in British Columbia, revealing how the international business is most likely more profitable than it would be if it was lawful in this enlightening documentary. Marijuana growers, law enforcement officials, physicians, politicians, criminologists, economists and celebrities -- including comedian Tommy Chong -- shed light on this topical subject in a series of compelling interviews

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007&ei=BhqCS9utHYjCqQK847jZAg&q=the+union

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
Horatio's Drive: America's First Roadtrip

http://www.pbs.org/horatio/

quote:

In the spring of 1903, on a whim and a fifty-dollar bet, Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson set off from San Francisco in a 20-horsepower Winton touring car hoping to become the first person to cross the United States in the new-fangled "horseless carriage." At the time there were only 150 miles of paved roads in the entire country, all of them within city limits. There were no gas stations and virtually no road maps as we know them today. Most people doubted that the automobile had much of a future. Jackson's trip would prove them wrong.

I've found next to nothing about it online, only a few quotes here and there, and the PBS link. It's available on instant queue on Netflix, haven't taken the time to find it otherwise. Basically, if you like cars and history, it's two hours of solid story telling.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

TenTonHammer posted:

I did some searching around, but come up short on the kind of documentaries I'm looking for. I'd like to find more disaster/catastrophic documentaries, or more based around stuff like Three Mile Island, man made disasters, etc. I found a really old PBS Three Mile Island one that is a VHS rip, but other than that, I haven't really found much of anything on this genre. Any suggestions?

Also anything related to construction disasters would be great, since I do work in the Safety field and would be great to show to my company.

The History Channel has a shitload of engineering disaster specials, if you didn't realize that already. They usually run at random times, rarely when people are actually home to see it.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

TenTonHammer posted:

Yeah, only thing I ever see on there is stuff about WW2 and Hitler usually. drat you HC. *shakes fist*

You must have some kind of strange History Channel being fed through your cable, because they've cut a lot of the WW2/Hitler poo poo out in favor of aliens, monsters, mythology and jobs, especially over the past 3-5 years. Their website has a decent selection of full episodes of Modern Marvels, which is where the engineering/manmade disasters shows are going to be, mostly.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

eminkey2003 posted:

I really liked Bowling for Columbine, Michael Moore's documentary about guns in America, but this is all I remember:

- A lot of Canadians leave their doors unlocked at night.
- At the end, Michael Moore confronts Charleton Heston about a 6 year old girl who was shot and killed by a classmate, and Heston just walks away.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSn5UEiovxo

Anyone who hasn't seen or heard about this movie has been living in a cave for quite some time now, especially if american. Honestly, I like Michael Moore, and this movie is fairly solid, but the way he goes about making his points are completely loving ridiculous and with the amount of smugness of every Prius driver in the country combined. Like the rest of his movies, this is more docu-drama/comedy than straight forward documentary.

Sicko was probably his best work to date, highlighting issues in the healthcare system. His latest, Capitalism: A Love Story, is a return to smug assholery, based on solid points, but he likes to act a bit like a giant douche while explaining the situation. Though the financial meltdown produced plenty of giant douches to the worlds' news media and viewing publics' eyes, so Moore is justified, in my opinion, to act like a bigger dick to those people, and he's not afraid to do it. It's also probably his funniest work to date. Never take his work literal, though, do your own research if the topic interests you that much.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

Smee posted:

Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

A few months back me and the GF spent the better part of an afternoon watching this What-If docu on History Channel about how to survive after some sort of virus-based apocalyptic event. It followed a family of a father, mother, and their teenage son, from the point where they need to escape the city (apparently a very dangerous place to be after 90% of humanity is destroyed) to finding ways to survive out in the east California deserts (the story started in LA, from what I recall).

Anyway not a real documentary obviously, as its all fully acted out and such, but I really enjoyed the way it flowed and how it was shot (course this could have been compounded by the fact me and the GF were high as balls watching this flick)

So if anyone has any idea what this particular piece is called or where I can get it, that would be much appreciated :)

'After Armageddon' is what you're looking for. It's on youtube, somewhere.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

Paradox86 posted:

Anyone know any good documentaries shot in the mid-70's? Kinda broad, but I'm very interested in seeing sorta every day people in that era.

Carl Sagan's 'The Cosmos' was filmed in '78-79, but not aired until '80. If you haven't seen it, take the time to sit through all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

Oh poo poo Canada posted:

Does anyone have any good documentaries on Canada or Canadian culture? I have Souvenir of Canada and Bob & Doug McKenzie.

Canada: A People's History

It's 17 episodes and 32 hours long or so, came out about 10 years ago or so. I'm not canadian and it held my interest back 6 years ago when I stumbled across it. I don't know where you'd find a copy, mine was :filez:.