Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Life After Pi, a 30 minute documentary about Rhythm & Hues' bankruptcy and the difficulty of working in the visual effects industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lcB9u-9mVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

India's Daughter, about a brutal rape and murder that started a firestorm of protest in India and led to changes in their law and maybe even in their culture. It was banned from being aired in India a couple days ago because the government was concerned it would incite more violent protests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6WrShqKGE

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 5, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

http://www.vocativ.com/world/india/rapist-lynched-bbc-documentary/

quote:

Rapist Lynched After BBC Rape Documentary Aired

Welp.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

At least it isn't a documentary about people with beards acting like having a beard makes you a victim of racism.

What was this?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

A friend of mine used to work at one of Prince's music distributors, he really was as eccentric as every Kevin Smith story said he was.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

This is a reminder that tomorrow (Sunday) HBO broadcasts Going Clear, the scathing documentary about the Church of Scientology

I knew that a friend of mine was an ex-scientologist, but today I just found out that her mom is one of the subjects of the documentary.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/27/going-clear-spanky-taylor-on-john-travolta-priscilla-presley-and-escaping-scientology/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Going clear was a pretty crazy documentary.

For anyone who followed most of the news about Scientology for the past few years, most of the history of Scientology stuff was nothing new. But holy poo poo, the personal stories are devastating. I had to wipe away a few tears.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 30, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Viginti posted:

Overall I just think that its a troubling practice, as a documentary maker, to only interview one side of the issue

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Viginti posted:

If we're speaking of naivety, it's naive to believe that this institution has the power to pester everyone that leaves its ranks in the way that they do the few high-profile members that quit. I find those tales to be troubling like everyone else, the stalking - unlike The Hole, or being Tom Cruise's girlfriend - is forced upon unwilling people and is genuinely a terrible thing, but it seems the exception and not the rule.
Sure, people who were former higher-ups get more stalking than others.

quote:

If i went down, signed up for Thetan 101 then bailed after a week no-one would stalk me because it would be a waste of resources that they simply don't have with only 50k members.
I realize this is an anecdote, but a friend of mine visited a Scientology center as a joke and pretended to be interested, and they wouldn't stop calling and mailing and emailing him for a year to try to get him to come back. They even reached him with contact info he didn't give them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Am I imagining things or is there a huge glut of documentaries lately about really niche things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Soiled Meat

Yeah I should probably eat those words. The thought just occurred to me as I was browsing weird documentaries on Netflix, but I guess now that I looked at them again a lot of them were around for a few years.

I mean, I like his work and I think he's semi-interesting but it was kinda weird that someone made a whole documentary about Dan Harmon.