Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Mrens posted:

religious wars take make up about 7% of wars.

[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

So I just watched The Yes Men and it was awful. Someone give me something to cleanse my palette and get me riled up about corporations.

Also, not really documentaries in the strictest sense, but to contribute: the RSA has been doing these awesome animations of lectures that are all about 10min long and incredibly engaging. Watch them all here! http://www.youtube.com/user/theRSAorg

Edit: It looks like they AREN'T all on that one account, but search for "RSA Animate" and you'll find any missing ones.

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 22, 2011

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

The Scientist posted:

Karl Pilkington goes on a Homer-like odyssey to find out if he would be happier if he was smarter.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1700622981138923572

I was losing it when he started talking about aliens with that professor, then David Icke showed up :lol::lol:

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

mr. nazi posted:

I watched a documentary the other day called Alone in the Wilderness

I love this doc. I caught it once in the middle of the night on PBS and it did everything but cure my insomnia. The amount of reclusive badass contained in this one man is staggering. Not only did he build his cabin himself, but he only brought the metal parts of tools to lighten his load. Have you ever made an axe-handle and then used that axe to build your home? No, because we're all a bunch of goddamned nerds compared to this man.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Went on a bit of a music doc binge the last few days. They've probably already been mentioned, but I put my full support behind loudQUIETloud a doc about The Pixies and Under Great White Northern Lights about The White Stripes. Both are really well made, so even if you don't have a prior interest in the bands they're worth checking out. And loudquietloud is available in its entirety on hulu!

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Tiny Faye posted:

The thing that amazed me was that how they could each hate each other so much and still play together so well. The Pixies: fueled by bitterness.

That's not really the impression I got from it, it felt more like rooming with someone you're already friends with in college: the proximity makes all their annoying tendencies so much more immediate and inescapable. But yeah, you could definitely feel a certain amount of ancient tension bubbling just below the surface of most conversations. I just love what a prick Frank Black came off despite his Stewart Smalley-esque motivational tapes. Also, is David autistic? Or was that just the drugs? (laffo at getting addicted to valium on your reunion tour)

ApexAftermath posted:

If someone watches it and wants to be a better person then how is that a bad result?

The problem generally isn't that it inspires people to be better, which is certainly a positive outcome for anything. It just always comes back around to convoluted Alex Jones/NWO poo poo, which just exacerbates the problem of an uninformed/misinformed populace. That and there is a good deal of arguments that are based on fact or otherwise 'good' information but are assembled in a way that they outright fail one or more heuristics of a logically sound argument right off the bat (a la Freakanomics). If nothing else you have to give them credit for how captivating those films can be.

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 12, 2011

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Luse posted:

The Fab Five
Some interesting commentary from the players. My favorite part is where they call the Duke players bitches and Grant Hill an Uncle Tom.

I have to say I otherwise could give a poo poo about wolverines basketball, but that quote really sold it for me. I'll definitely put this on my short list.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

boner meter posted:

Friend made a Spotify playlist for part one of Machines of Loving Grace if anyone gives a rats rear end (I do)
http://open.spotify.com/user/nachimir/playlist/1FJ3f7J3iXhPE2R83XAymO

Great, great doc. Looks like the second part is up in full (near as I can tell) on youtube. Can't wait to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha8ocu1UaWI

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Ml

Never heard of this and can't seem to find out anything about it, but your post is so informative tha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Kneel Before Zog posted:

What are some good documentaries to fall asleep to (soothing narrator voices)?

I've fallen asleep to Carl Sagan's Cosmos more than I've actually watched them straight through.