Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm looking to track down a copies of a couple of BASE jumping documentaries with Jeb Corliss. One is "The Ground is the Limit," whose website is down and the one place I can find the video online I can't get the site to load the video (https://www.groundisthelimit.com http://broadbandsports.com/node/6114). Ideally I'd love a copy I can save locally.

The second is an appearance he did on a show called Fearless - I can't find this one anywhere and even went as far as contacting the station that aired it, but they wouldn't sell or transcribe me a copy on DVD. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0821251/

This is kind of a longshot but I figured I'd ask.

Alternately: are there any other good general BASE jumping documentaries out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

adamj1982 posted:

I am watching this "documentary" I found on archive.org. It is (narrated) footage of concentration camps for use in war crime trials. Not for the faint of heart, but it is the best documentation and 'raw' footage I have ever seen.

Very graphic, but it is what it is :nms:

:nws:http://www.archive.org/details/nazi_concentration_camps:nws:

Wow, thanks for the link.

The comments section on that video makes YouTube commentors look downright sane. E: To be clear, the holocaust deniers who showed up (and the FEMA conspiracy theorists)

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 8, 2011

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Toriori posted:

I have the same problem. Having young children in my family, my first instinct it "I would rip that person to shreds with my bare hands!" But when I dwell on it I realize there's the chance that someone who's a pedophile may have been sexually abused themselves. It's very sad and emotionally exhausting to think about. Can you truly rehabilitate those kinds of people? Are some people really mentally ill or just twisted?

Also, here's a good documentary thanks to the Fifth Estate.
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2011-2012/storiesfromtheriversedge/

I really want to save this and watch it later on my TV at home (on the road now) - is there any way to do that? I see a lot of these great docs as streaming videos but all the "DOWNLOAD FLASH VIDEO" software looks like thinly-disguised malware.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Nublington posted:

I've been using Download Helper for Firefox for a long time, never had any problems. It doesn't work on all sites (some paysites for example) but most of the time it's perfect.

Just wanted to thank you for this, I was finally able to save a local copy of American Juggalo.

Too bad that Fifth Estate video requires you to be in Canada to start it, which means Download Helper won't work on that. I really want to watch it, it sounds interesting.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Spiderjelly posted:

Got a treat for you, thread. I live in China, and I've just learned that China Central Television's documentary channel has an English language version, and many many past documentaries are archived on this site:

http://english.cntv.cn/program/e_documentary/video/index.shtml

Lots of good stuff about Chinese culture and history here.

E: A good one to start with, National Treasures in the Taipei Museum: http://english.cntv.cn/program/e_documentary/series/treasuretaipei/index.shtml

Am I doing something wrong? It keeps asking for a really weird plugin that Chrome can't identify to play the videos.

Really want to watch these, my wife goes to China and Taiwan regularly as part of her job so i'd love to know more about it (although from what I can tell by the language descriptions those videos have a very "state-sanctioned" feel.)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Netflix recommended this one to me: Reel Injun (2009). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1484114/

It's a look at the portrayal of Native Americans / First Peoples in American cinema, and although it's a little uneven there was a whole lot of stuff I didn't know (despite doing a whole course on Native American lit and film back in college.) It's on Netflix streaming and definitely worth checking out.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

TheHordor posted:

This has probably been mentioned before, but Crips and Bloods: Made in America is an extremely well done documentary about gang culture and what creates a gang and it's members. It's on Netflix instant streaming and everyone should check it out.

I finally got around to watching this today, and I will echo this post - it's a very well made doc and very educational not only about gang culture, but the racial conditions that lead to the formation of gangs in the first place (and race relations in America in the 60s in general).

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Primoman posted:

I'm interested in checking out any documentaries that focus on either of the following:

1. Deep, urban settings consisting of abandoned buildings or gang-ridden back alleyways. The kind of setting you'd see in a serial killer movie or a narcotic-related movie Traffic.

Dark Days is currently on Netflix streaming and is about homeless people who live in abandoned parts of the New York subway. There's a lot of urban decay in the tunnels themselves, and pretty much fits your bill.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I would also second these two as ones I've seen recently, really well done.
Gonna look into Atomic Cafe next, I guess.

Atomic Cafe is fantastic.

There's one on YouTube called 1983: the Brink of Apocalypse about an incident that almost resulted in a full-scale nuclear war.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

papasyhotcakes posted:

Yes I think this was it, thanks to both of you!

Actually I have been on a Cold War kick lately, so if there are other "must see" documentaries about the period I would love to hear about them.

It may have been 1983: The Brink of Apocalypse, which was posted a few weeks ago.

quote:

The British documentary The War Game is about the effects of a theoretical nuclear strike on Britain. It is one part factual reportage and one part dramatization. It's a news style doc. I saw it a few years ago and it chilled me a bit.

Holy poo poo, a cold war doc I haven't seen yet. And it's like a nonfiction version of Threads. :suicide:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

rotinaj posted:

Matthew Broderick should make more documentaries. :allears:

I've been watching Ken Burns' The West and Broderick does a lot of voiceover work for it so,

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm looking for documentaries related to the Civil Rights movement in America in the 60s, specifically ones that show the Southern white establishment's reaction to it, and the ways the protestors were treated (dogs and fire hoses and whatnot.) I remember watching one in high school more than 20 years ago that seemed to focus on those aspects, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was called.

I recall an press conference where some old cracker referred to MLK as "Martin Luther Coon," if that helps.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
That may actually be the one I watched, awesome. It looks like only the first part is on Netflix though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

magnificent7 posted:

Christ. I've been following the wrong goddamn bands.

It's a good thing you can't see their teeth or a close-up on their hair to see how the meth is destroying their bodies.

(That's based on my opinion of Juggalos / Jugalettes, nothing else.)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
One of the deadliest and costliest race riots in American history happened in Tulsa in 1921. The documentary Before they Die! interviews the survivors, and tells the story of white-on-black violence in the days when the Klan controled much of Oklahoma politics. This has been on DVD for a while but hard to find, and I finally noticed it's on YouTube.

Part of the documentary makes the case for reparations, but there is a good deal of almost-forgotten American history here too.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Here's something interesting: a 1981 documentary about the DeLorean. It's basically a hype machine for the car, but it's interesting as an artifact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sueqDrq9VBw

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I think I remember reading in this thread about Lot Lizards, a documentary where the film crew followed sex workers in truck stops. I found a webpage for it and a trailer uploaded to Vimeo two years ago, but nothing else. Has the film ever been released?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

MeinPanzer posted:

Just watched the new Netflix documentary Virunga last night and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It's about a huge and stunningly beautiful nature preserve in the Democratic Republic of Congo most notable for its large population of endangered mountain gorillas. After oil reserves are discovered in the park, it becomes the target of two factions in an escalating and complex conflict: a British oil company and a rebel group bent on overthrowing the government. The film itself focuses on a handful of protagonists, including a child soldier turned game warden, a young French journalist, a keeper of orphaned gorillas, and a Belgian prince primatologist determined to save the park.

It's incredibly gripping, saddening, and infuriating, and one of those remarkable documentaries which makes you feel like you're truly witnessing something historic unfold. I can't recommend it highly enough (plus it's available on Netflix, so it's easy to watch).

You aren't kidding - this is one of the best documentaries I've watched in a long time. I'm stunned they managed to get some of the footage from the war zone that they got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ynohtna posted:

I'm really fond of The Target is Your Brain, a 1984 Soviet doc about the idealogical warfare of American pop culture.

For other cold war / atomic age documentaries, Trinity and Beyond: the Atomic Bomb Movie (and its several sequels) is a great look at the development of the American nuclear weapons program.