System Message

The forum store is down for maintenance and should reopen in the afternoon/evening (Central time). Thanks again to all the beta testers!
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Holy poo poo, I just got around to watching Dear Zachary. Thanks for the recommendation, regardless of my former sobbing self. What a loving roller coaster. I loved it, even though I hated it. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

cardedagain posted:

nothing against you, but i guess that's how it goes once you're initially tricked into believing something and truly take it as truth the entire time (religion!), and then once you find out it's really fake then it's not as easy to say "man, screw those people for making me think it was real", but usually people end up reaffirming their initial thoughts for the most part ("i enjoyed the ride") because it's the easier route to take.

i'm probably just looking too much into that statement of yours.

Ahah, you turned some dude liking a doc(mock)umentary into an anti-religion rant. Eat a butt.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Dear Zachary is indeed very sad but I hated how it's made. It's full of things where the guy narrating goes "Then he got into a car" (cut to a shot of a person getting into a car followed by the noise of an engine starting) and "He wrote them a letter" (shot of a letter being written with the noise of a pen scraping paper) and it's annoying as hell. But it's worth a watch if you can't find any other way of being emotionally punched in the stomach.

I didn't read anything going into Dear Zachary and found it very compelling. I'm sure if I read all the goon problems with the way the story was told and watched it again, I would have a different experience.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

The only person whom I actually like and care for is the Filipino housekeeper. Her talked about repurposing the kids' huge playhouse into a quiet space for herself is like a glimmering diamond of sanity.

I like that you see that as a "a glimmering diamond of sanity", because that poo poo depressed me to no end. The housekeepers were the only bridge to humanity that I found in that doc. She found sanity in a shack that was once a playhouse for the children. I can't remember the quote, but I think I remember her saying that the playhouse was larger than the home she grew up in.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

Kind of in the line of The Imposter and Kumare is The Woman Who Wasn't There, about a woman that claimed to have been a 9/11 attack survivor that was on one of the higher floors, carried to safety by the Man with the Red Bandana. Saying much more gives away the "plot twists", but it's a good watch for a rainy day, at the least.

I hate to dig up a two month old post, but I just watched this doc last night, and to claim that there are any "plot twists" is laughable. It's called "The Woman That Wasn't There." It's akin to if The Sixth Sense were called Bruce Willis is a Ghost.

On the flip side, I also watched Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure, and it was pretty amazing. I'm a fan of such things as Longmont Potion Castle and Terrorizing Telemarketers, and this was right in my wheelhouse.
It is the story of two 20-somethings in a poo poo apartment during the late 80's. Their neighbors just happen to be a drunken, abusive couple that pierce their paper-thin walls with insults such as "Shut up little man". They decide to record the loudness that has infiltrated their apartment, and soon it turns into a battle over copyright infringement, movie rights, and morality. Personally, it gets slow in the middle, but turns around towards the end.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

appleskates posted:

Another good one from Netflix.

Unhung Hero
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70273280?trkid=2361637

This one is about a guy who proposed to his girlfriend on a kiss-cam and she turned him down because he has a small penis. So of course, he made a documentary about penis size and tried to find out 1) if his was really THAT small and 2) if so, what can be done about it. It was obviously pretty silly, but enjoyable.

I watched this last night and liked most of it. The documentary parts of his problems with his penis size and the cultural exploration of how people around the world deal with and view penis size were enjoyable. When he tried to go off the documentary tracks with the fake hidden camera footage and the transparent love interest story, I was bored shitless. It's like he didn't know what type of movie he wanted to make, and the end result was disjointed and confusing.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any good documentaries on native Americans? I'm watching one on youtube (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dr_Qqja4RY) and I just need to know more about the people who used to live where my house now stands (:smith:).

Mentioned earlier (I believe), Rich Hall's Inventing the Indian is really good. It delves into how popular culture has changed how people understand natives of the Americas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lheXnx02JYE

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Also there was no blood at the crime scene. The defense spoke of a satanic ritual at the creek where the boys were found. If that was a murder scene, blood would be abundant. It was a dump site. The murders happened elsewhere, which disputed Miskelley's testimony.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

There was. The early case summary noted that the bank looked 'slicked off' as if someone had tried washing something away. Ok that's vague enough however the police went back and sprayed Luminol around the crime scene which highlighted the blood. You can see the pictures here http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/img2/luminol_photos.html - they also reported that after eliminating any blood patterns that pointed to blood being spilled in the process of the bodies being moved, they found more than enough blood to indicate that something happened at the ditch. The issue in court came around asking the question of 'visible blood', of which there was none. But again that's what the luminol testing was for.

The last sighting of the boys also has them heading into the direction of the woods the day they were killed. The other thing of course is that their clothes were also dumped there, which doesn't make sense seeing as they were tied up after their clothes were removed. Unless whoever killed them also thought to bring their clothes along too and just toss them to one side.

Of all the defence objections I always found that the weakest one. It's understandable why they'd persue it as it means they can invalidate Miskelley's testimony, but there's nothing concrete there to support them either. But at that point you can't blame them for just going for it.

Whoa, I guess I was mislead by the documentaries that we are currently talking about in this thread because they told me that there was no blood at the crime scene.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Jessie Misskelley, a dude with a 70-ish IQ was interrogated long enough (who cares if it was actually a full 12 hours) for him to admit exactly what the detectives needed him to say. That's what cops do. His confession was the crux of the trial. Misskelley wasn't friends with Damien and Jason; they were hardly acquaintances. Misskelley didn't even know what time the murders took place until detectives planted it in his testimony.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

I just find it interesting that we take for granted that everything in those movies happened the way that they want us to think they did. We see a title card and just accept that it's true.

I don't know if this is directed at me, but I know the police manipulated Misskelley by reading the transcripts. He initially says that they went into the woods at 9am and that the young boys skipped school (they didn't). Then he says noon. Then he later meanders between entering the woods between 6:30 and 7:00 PM while obviously trying to give Ridge the answers he wants to hear. Jessie also claims to have left the scene about four times, probably because he doesn't want to implicate himself further in these lies, but that's not the story the dectivies want, so they push him further. They had no evidence other than a retarded kid's testimony that was less of a confession and more of a satanic fairy tale drawn up by bored hillbilly cops.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

eminkey2003 posted:

This isn't new, but if you're into DIY, it's real inspiring. James Rolfe of Angry Video Game Nerd shows his development as a filmmaker from kid to adult:

"Cinemassacre 200:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiQE_Lb801U (note: swearing)

Wait. Swearing? Like poop and stuff. Pass.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Mahoning posted:

In case anyone missed it, the Oklahoma City bombing documentary that was on PBS a few months back has been added to Netflix.

edit: and the one on Ruby Ridge, which you should watch first, as it definitely affects what happened in OKC.

I still need to watch the Charles Whitman one, poo poo. Has anyone watched the Newtown doc that was added to Netflix recently?

bunky fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I watched the Ruby Ridge and Oklahoma City docs last night back to back and I appreciate whoever gave the recommendation, but to anyone else interested, skip Ruby Ridge. The Oklahoma City movie re-hashes the important parts of Ruby Ridge and makes them relevant to a larger story.