Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FeastForCows posted:

Are there any more good documentaries on cinephiles? I really enjoyed Cinemania. Come to think of it, I would love to watch something similar about audiophiles, too.

Not really audiophiles, but if you're specifically interested in obsessives, you should check out Vinyl if you haven't done so already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNRvB8lyRSM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

The first episode of CNN's new documentary series The Eighties premiered Thursday last week and is really really good.

It's CNN though, so apparently the 1980s only took place in the USA (by the first episode at least).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

The first episode of CNN's new documentary series The Eighties premiered Thursday last week and is really really good.

Another thing about the first episode that perplexed me was the bit about MTV having an influence on Michael Mann's style. While I absolutely agree that MTV and Miami Vice fed off each other, and while Mann himself appears in the documentary saying that MTV was an influence, when you watch Mann's Thief, which was made before MTV launched, you can already see the development of the style that was carried into MTV. There is a long driving sequence with a song score, for example, which the 80s documentary credits to Miami Vice making in response to MTV -- but you see Mann doing it here long before then. There are plenty of scenes that have the quick motion that people relate to MTV as well. Tangerine Dream does the whole soundtrack too, and it's not a typical film score soundtrack (Mean Streets from Scorsese did this a bunch too if you want to think about that style and that was a decade before MTV).

Not a big deal, but being a fan of Mann's stuff, I thought it was weird to credit that style to MTV because while MTV embraced that style, I don't believe it created it.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 7, 2016

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Recommending I Am Thor to anybody interested in real life Spinal Tap style trainwreck documentaries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_GLMsHUrOQ

Some of you might remember Thor from Rock N' Roll Nightmare (or the Rifftraxed version thereof).

The doc starts with a background on Thor, from his start as a Vegas performer then into his moderately successful rock career up until his downfall. Then the bulk of the documentary follows his comeback over a number of years, and it's quite the ride. The doc is well made in that you get to see Thor doing some of the same things over and over, like his water bottle trick, his brick breaking, or most hilariously putting his gear on before a show, and it gives you a real feel for him as a performer who refuses to give up.

One thing that was mysteriously left out of the doc was Thor's hilarious meeting with Gene Simmons years later, where they discuss Gene having had sex with Thor's wife ("she was number 2001"):

Zoom ahead to 2:33 or so ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOf-tQvyTk4

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

cstang posted:

Anyone that's into documentaries about eccentric people should really check out "Curse Of The Man That Sees UFOs". It's streaming on Netflix.

poo poo. Thank you for this. I knew a guy who was a lot like this guy: claimed to see UFOs all the time, seemed like a normal guy unless you got him to tell you about his "experiences", then sounded crazy but could show you hours of weird video footage that wasn't always easily explained (even if his explanations for the videos probably wasn't correct either).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pingiivi posted:

Tower is on Netflix (at least in Finland) and it's a stylish documentary about the Charles Whitman shooting. The documentary is done in a rotoscoped animation style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k963PfUVeLQ

I thought this was really well done. It was more of a recount of the event itself rather than a study of the shooter or gun violence or whatever (although there is a brief visual sequence about this at the end). The rotoscoped sequences were also well used because it gave interviews a "real time" feel as the event unfolded but then in the last half we saw the animated characters become their actual real life counterparts.

Thanks for the recommendation Pingiivi.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

MeinPanzer posted:

Just finished binging all 13 eps of The Staircase.

The documentary left out minor details such as the editor of it having an ongoing relationship with Peterson, Peterson having $143,000 in credit card debt and that Kathleen was about to be laid off just before she died and that the house and car were in her name. Also that her brain had red neurons in it, which is indicative of her suffering from low blood flow to the brain (due to bleeding out) that would have required her to be bleeding out for at least 45 minutes or for up to about 2 hours before she actually died (to be fair, if you looked closely during one episode you could see the GOOD/BAD list of things for the defense and "RED NEURONS" was clearly under the bad side).

I don't expect a documentary to be neutral, but if you watched The Staircase and thought "well how could those jurors possibly reach that decision?", the answer is because they were getting way more information than we were and not necessarily because the system failed or whatever. I think this is also why Candace's speech toward the end seems "crazy" -- it's probably not, if you have the same information she does.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Doesn't a big chunk of "Redux" go into all that?

Nope. Not at all.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

teen witch posted:

Given that fuckjerry is now getting eviscerated for their own poo poo behavior...

They used to have 14.6 million Instagram followers and after the public outcry and big name comedians calling them out for blatant plagiarism, they only have 14.1 million Instagram followers.

Eviscerated.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is incredible you can make an entire company out of ripping off memes.

even their logo is a ripoff.

Pop culture eats itself.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are any of Theroux's films on streaming in Canada (we can't have Hulu)?

Only the Scientology movie is available on Netflix Canada. Are you looking for something specific by him?

Note about the Scientology movie: there is a weird scene with Paz De La Huerta where Louis worries that she was paid by Scientologists to stalk/monitor him. She acts very strange. I know somebody who has worked with Paz and in that scene she is being absolutely bizarre but that's just Paz being Paz and not Paz being an asset for Scientology. In fact, Paz is so unpredictable that she's definitely not going to be able to be a secret asset for pretty much anybody.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vincent posted:

Any feel good docs you peeps recommend? This year has been a shitshow so far and most the documentaries named here are incredibly depressing.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi comes to mind. I also love rewatching When We Were Kings for inspirational purposes.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Alhazred posted:

Ali Bomaye!

Seriously! I love watching boxing movies but the best boxing movie (sorry Sly, but I think you'd be OK with this) is a documentary. You couldn't script a better story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

precision posted:

Netflix has a ridiculous documentary on Bob Lazar, Art Bell huckster extraordinaire, that somehow has Mickey Rourke narrating a really terribad script dripping with big time Conspiracy Dread. It's... super entertaining

Hopefully one day Lazar comes clean because a documentary about how he made up a story in the 80s that went on to dominate most of his adult life would actually be interesting (much more interesting than the tired story itself).