Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

12th and Delaware is an HBO doc about a streetcorner with an abortion clinic on one side and a "Don't have an abortion" clinic on the other. A staff member from one falls in love with a staff member from the other, and then they get pregnant and have to decide if okay that's not true but it's still very interesting.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=LYZ80I2J
Really sad. A girl seeking an abortion because her boyfriend was abusive and she needed to focus on raising her two kids being told by the head of the 'pregnancy care centre' that "maybe your boyfriend will stop being abusive if you have the baby" was enraging. Also the musclehead intimidating girls and following abortion doctors is the worst person I've seen in a documentary since forever.

Any more documentaries in the vein of First Person/Life on the Mesa/Theroux/Trouble in Amish Paradise? Meaning documentaries about outsiders or plain weird people that are made in a sympathetic light, without being too judging or 'look at these freaks'?

Good thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Any good documentaries or BBC docs on the nouveau-riche in Moscow, the rise of United Russia or basically anything interesting in modern city Russia?

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

There's a new Louis Theroux: Extreme Love. On parents with autistic kids. Brits can watch it here.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Since this is kind of the general documentary thread: did anyone else think Keep the River On Your Right made it's protagonist look like poo poo?

The plot of the movie as it's told in promo-material: an American on a mission joins a primitive group in South America with cannibalistic tendencies, and reunites with them again decades later.

The plot as I read it: a gay man in the sixties with a fetish for indigineous guys joins a tribe in South America, has lots of sex, goes back to Western society and has mild success with a book he writes about them where he engages in pretty loving wild cultural relativism. He visits them again almost 40 years later, him living pretty comfortably and not having shared any of his money made writing about them and since they've come in contact with 'modern' cultures through him they've departed from their traditions and alcoholism runs rampant.

I thought it was all pretty interesting, but it just made Tobias Schleebaum look like a huge dick, and I never really got the idea that was what I was supposed to take away from it.

Sai fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 28, 2013