Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold
Oct 28, 2004

Don't make me post something.

wnatw posted:

This documentary was akin to sending a film crew into the slums of Detroit and finding the most hosed up criminals to interview and presenting that as "the way life is in the United States, how sad".

The fact that a bunch of hipsters-turned-filmmakers can bribe an official to release a war criminal from jail is pretty alarming, but it also goes to show just how much they actually care about their subject. Their account of Liberia's post-colonial history lasted all of.... 15 seconds? The rest of the film was just them finding hosed up poo poo to put on camera, nothing more -- no lesson, no context, and nothing from the rest of the country or better parts of Monrovia.

Yes Liberia is hosed up. Yes the UN mission is a stopgap solution. But this "documentary" is the worst kind of exploitation, as it's neither objective nor does it have any point other than "hey look at us travel to this hosed up place".

You're pretty bitter about something, but I'm not sure what. It didn't purport to be something it wasn't.
I, and I would say quite a few people, didn't realize actually how hosed it is over there. It was a slice of life documentary, not a history doc.

If you can point me in the direction of one about the history of Liberia that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU