Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Everyone needs to watch The 13th on Netflix. It's infuriating and incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Tickled is fantastic. It just goes to this really weird, unexpected place. I vaguely remembered the story from my first Dollop podcast (and it was great to hear them in this movie, so proud of my boys!).

Watched Louis Theroux's Scientology Movie last night, and goddamn if they're not the scariest organisation. Didn't learn too much as I watched Going Clear recently, but Theroux is always entertaining and he just does not give a gently caress, which is wonderful, especially when you're going against Scientologists.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Had a Disney binge last night. Floyd Norman, which is on Netflix and is a lovely, happy documentary with a nice ending about an animator, followed by The Boys, which I've seen before but drat it's great if melancholy. Sort of two sides of the same coin. Probably best if you watch them in the reverse order but a good night's viewing if you're into Disney.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

A follow up to my previous post: Waking Sleeping Beauty is the best Disney documentary I've seen.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Watched some new Netflix documentaries. For the Love of Spock is fantastic if you're into Star Trek, though I wish there was more William Shatner. Seriously, they're best friends for 50 years and he gets two lines?

Holy Hell was a fantastic look at cult life, and you're just waiting for the sex ball to drop. There's a lot of tears and I didn't feel sorry for any of them, but it's pretty fascinating stuff and a great look into human psychology.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Kids for Cash was good, made me nice and angry. gently caress that judge forever. And of COURSE America doesn't protect kids, showing solidarity with loving Somalia. It's almost unbelievable. Almost.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh neat that's been on my to watch list for ages and just checked NF and saw it's on there. Even the trailer made me angry, ha.

Ha you're in for a furious treat! Let me know what you think about the case and the judge.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Has anyone seen Ride With Larry? I haven't, but I saw the clip that's going viral on Facebook and it's just crazy! If you haven't seen it, it's a guy with mad Parkinson's trying marijuana and literally becoming normal. It's just mind blowing. The film is about him riding across his state, looks like it's worth a rental.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Louis Theroux's New documentary Dark States is incredible, on iPlayer right now

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm really enjoying the False Confessions series on Netflix. I'm a Sucker for true crime, and it's a really slick and great show to make you angry before bed

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I watched One of Us on Netflix because I don't know much about Hassidic jews and drat if that situation wouldn't be a perfect horror movie. Shadows spying on you, people banging on your door, it's a dang nightmare. All this in New Jersey. Definitely worth a watch for a nice bit of anger.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

After watching it twice I can't believe he murdered her. Like it makes no sense motive wise or murder weapon wise

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Alhazred posted:

But he had filth on his computer. Pure filth!

The man. Liked. DICKS

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I imagine the owl would only have had to swoop and attack once, near the house to leave the marks, then she runs inside and brains herself on the stairs

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

BAI SEXUAL

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm surprised there's no Making a Murderer thread. I pretty much binged the new season, could not stop!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh yeah, when she showed up and said "oh, I'm going to be on the second season of Making a Murderer!" as was like, I see where this is going.

Kathleen the new OP lawyer did an incredible job of dismantling the state's case, which to be fair never mind any sense in the first place. He handcuffed her to the bed and cut her throat, then dragged her into the garage and shot her? And there's no blood anywhere in the house? Hmm.

Made me sad that his original lawyers, the dream team, might have actually been a bit poo poo. I mean, no blood spatter expert? Really? The blood was so obviously planted it blows my mind

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's tough because they never investigated anyone except for Avery. In a murder it usually is someone who knows the victim, and the boyfriend came off a a little weird with some questionable actions. I just never saw the motive with Avery. I guess you could spend 18 years in prison fantasizing about getting out to murder a woman, like Kratz says, but... really? He was about to be rich!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I agree on that. I went to the MaM reddit, which was a huge mistake. The people who are absolutely convinced Avery is guilty are the worst kind of amateur sleuth.

I guess we'll never know, but for me maybe the biggest evidence for his innocence is obviously the documentary makers feel he is, because they wouldn't spend years of their lives documenting a murderer, and most importantly Kathleen thinks he's innocent. She wouldn't represent a guilty man (based on her wealth, status, intelligence and moral character)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That’s fair. I think if it was just the blood by the ignition it wouldn't be so suspicious. But then you add it to these random drops of blood over the car that don't add up to any kind of story, the utterly bizarre DNA on the hood latch (that they specifically made sure Brendan mentioned BEFORE they had supposedly swabbed it) and it's just a cluster gently caress. No blood on the steering wheel or gear stick but enough to get on the ignition? It's just the weirdest case that doesn't make sense unless you say the evidence was planted.

One thing I couldn't figure out was how did someone break into Avery's house to get his blood? How would they know they'd find blood? And then I thought, well if they went in there to get DNA from his toothbrush/urine etc, then found blood in the sink and it's like they got super lucky, right?

Oh yeah, and Teresa's DNA that was allegedly taken from a chapstick due to the fibers found. It's crazy

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The computer evidence was crazy. Yeah, technically anyone in the house could have used his computer to look up that stuff, but the fact that the cops take it, then have a little chat with Bobby, who then changes his story, is beyond suspicious. Helping put his brother and uncle in prison. This loving case!

I read on Reddit that Ma Avery has never visited Brendan in prison. Sad. I guess she sort of blames him for her son going to jail. This crime tearing all these families apart and ruining their business, really sad side effects

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh man yeah, I've been on the Reddit and now there's these sad factions of "Avery is obviously guilty!" who always swoop and just know all the facts and are so sure, it's like two rivals of football. So lame.

Holy poo poo I just finished Abduction in Plain Sight and... gently caress... what... those parents... so dumb? So dumb. So loving... unforgivable? Cunts?

Cunts

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Not sure I want to watch a documentary where a bunch of assholes murder a lion? Maybe if it was the other way round

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I really hope he's set free, then this nightmare can end

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The new Madeleine McCann documentary is excellent so far. On episode 4 but it's really well researched, excellent diagrams and arty but no so much, and they're finally looking at the parents :getin:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I still can't believe they left their kids alone (3 and 1!) to go eat and drink when there was free babysitting services AND with the doors unlocked. Criminal negligence for sure and it still irritates me. I hate the whole story, the media frenzy, the dumb parents, the dumb police (didn't realise how dumb they were at the time, just thought it was tabloids being racist and them being insanely pissed they wouldn't release details like British police) and the fact that a blonde girl goes missing we better inform the world while thousands of other children are ignored. A huge clusterfuck

Edit: yeah the Amanda Knox story is loving bonkers as well, definitely worth a watch

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 18, 2019

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

One more episode to go on the Elisa Lam/Cecil Hotel documentary and it's dogshit. Nearly 4 hours for something that should have been an hour. They just spent 5 minutes talking about a death metal musician! loving embarrassing

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Last episode, and man these web sleuths are dumb and annoying as poo poo lol

Also in a decent documentary you'd be drip fed information to slowly form a story. Here in the last episode they just blast you with stuff they withheld to create a mystery. Terrible directing

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 15, 2021

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah that was nuts. Really was. But an interesting footnote.

They should have just combined episodes 1 and 4. Maybe Netflix ordered 4 episodes and they were like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

But all the Cecil stuff is completely unrelated to the case. Utterly unimportant.

Oh man it's the same director? What a shame, it's not even in the same league. I mean the English couple... what the gently caress. Wasting my drat time